Another reason not to watch Letterman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
One's not funny and the other's a cheat.
---------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/belichick-to-appear-next-week-on-letterman/

Belichick to appear next week on Letterman
Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2015

letterman.jpg
AP

Last week, one of the Pro Football Talk on NBCSN analysts suggested that David Letterman should top a list of the top 10 things that can be done in 90 seconds or less in a bathroom. Next week, Patriots coach Bill Belichick could read that list in person on the air.

CBS has announced that Belichick will appear February 11 on The Late Show with David Letterman, only the second time Belichick ever has been a guest on the show.

The Patriots became a pin cushion in recent weeks for the #DeflateGate investigation, which arose during the AFC championship game between the Patriots and the Colts, the favorite NFL team of the Indiana native who hosts the show. It’s hard to imagine Letterman agreeing to steer clear of the hottest topic involving the head coach of the Super Bowl XLIX championship team.

It’s even harder to imagine Belichick appearing to agree on the show, especially if he still hasn’t been interviewed by the NFL in connection with the ongoing investigation.

If Letterman manages to coax some news out of Belichick, it won’t be the first time Letterman’s show has moved the football needle. In 2008, Brett Favre strongly hinted during his first retirement that, come July, he possibly would decide to play again. And he did.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I don't need another reason. Those two are perfect for each other.

smelly-clint.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not a Letterman fan. He was funnier when I was young. His show was on around 10.or 11 EST in the morning. He always had Al Franken on doing his dry witty comedy schtick. That is the last time I thought Dave was really entertaining.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't like Letterman but he's on his way out and he can be a jerk. It might be worth a watch because he's a Hoosier and likely will throw some deflated ball questions at Belichick.

My favorite Letterman interview is the Joaquin Phoenix one. Never seen Dave so uncomfortable.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I thought Letterman was Retiring, Why is he still on the air!?! Not that I ever watch him. ( Unless he's got some HOT Chick I'm interested in seeing on!!)

lunker

UDFA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p94yUElLes

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lategate-nonsense-during-belichick-interview/

Letterman dubs #DeflateGate “nonsense” during Belichick interview
Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2015

letterman1.jpg

During the first segment of Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman, it seemed that the host would be avoiding completely the still-pending #DeflateGate investigation regarding whether the Patriots tampered with air pressure in footballs during the AFC title game. In the second segment, Letterman did Belichick even more of a favor.

Letterman consistently downplayed the controversy, eventually dubbing the entire situation “nonsense.”

Dave had the perfect opening to push the issue early in the interview, when Belichick said of the victory over Letterman’s favorite team, the Colts, “Well, it was only a 38-point win.”

Letterman could have said bitingly in response (as he’s done with countless guests over the years), “Well, you also used deflated footballs.”

He didn’t, deferring all questions on the topic until the show returned from a commercial break. And when Letterman finally brought it up, he seemed reluctant to do so, testing the waters by lobbing a few softballs via a meandering question that ultimately wasn’t a question but a statement.

“That was the game by the way with the football nonsense,” Letterman eventually said. “And I’m telling you from the beginning I loved it because I knew a pound here in a football, a pound there is not gonna make a difference. 45 points. You know what I’m saying? I just thought, pick on something else. It’s like the goal posts were too narrow. It just doesn’t make any sense. And then you said, ‘Well I don’t know anything about inflated footballs.’ And why would you?”

Said Belichick in response, “I learned a lot in the next few days. I never realized there were so many Patriots fans that were scientists and physicists and college professors that understood it that well. We learned a lot in a hurry. I should’ve got a college credit for that.”

Letterman then tried to laugh the whole thing off with one of his canned-ham-style turns of phrase: “You know exactly what happened. I know you know exactly what happened. You know I know you know. And what it was was some kind of horseplay. Am I right?”

“No,” Belichick said. And then Letterman laughed and slapped the desk.

“Wait a minute,” he said. “I was told it was horseplay.”

Letterman then explained that they tested footballs by putting difference amounts of air pressure in them.

“One was inflated properly,” Letterman said. “One was not inflated properly. The difference is palpable, but it wouldn’t make any difference in a game.”

“Well we all know that as the footballs get colder, they deflate,” Belichick said. “Scientifically.”

“But there was only only one football that was deflated by two pounds,” Letterman said. “The others were deflated by what you would expect being outdoors.”

Those facts still haven’t been established with certainty, and they won’t be until the investigation by Ted Wells ends. But it was part of the broader “this is all a load of crap” narrative that Letterman opted to push.

“And then you got the kid going into the bathroom,” Letterman said. “He’s in there for 90 seconds. I can’t remember the last time I took a leak in 90 seconds. Are you that age where you have that problem?”

The host then reiterated his position that the whole thing would lead nowhere.

“I knew it would come to nothing and I knew it had no effect on the game and you could tell in your tone in the press conference and then Tom Brady also in the press conference you could tell that it was nonsense,” Letterman said. “Now where did it come from? You know where it came from. Did it come from my Colts? Is that where it came from?”

Of course it did, because the NFL already has acknowledged that Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson alerted the league to the concern during the game. But that was just the setup for Dave’s attempt to advance the conspiracy theory that makes his favorite team the villain.

“Here’s what I heard,” Letterman said. “I heard that the guy intercepts the pass, and he takes the ball over, hands it to his guy. He deflates it, and then they say, ‘Hey, look at this ball, it’s go no air in it.’ Is that what happened?”

“We’re gonna bring you in to testify when we get the investigation next month,” Belichick replied with a smile.

Belichick smiled a lot during the interview. And he should have; it’s a comedy show. But it was still Belichick’s first (and probably only) one-on-one interview, and it gave Letterman a prime opportunity to ask at least one or two meaningful questions under the guise of cracking wise.

His efforts, however, weren’t focused at all on advancing the ball, moving the needle, or getting to the truth, with sarcasm or wit driving the bus. Letterman operated under the premise that the entire situation is a joke, that nothing improper happened, and that if it did it doesn’t matter because even though the difference between a properly inflated ball and a deflated ball is “palpable,” using deflated footballs “wouldn’t make any difference in a game.”

The NFL sees it differently. Whether it made a difference or not, proof that anyone from the Patriots tampered with the footballs could result in significant punishment. Letterman’s failure to understand that, or his conscious decision to disregard it, squandered a prime opportunity to get something fresh, tangible, and/or informative out of Belichick.

the fact that the pats won in a blowout is IRRELEVANT. if you cheat you cheat, it's that simple.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Letterbutt is just another ugly, angry, old liberal who hates all that is great about America. F Him!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Everyone knew when that was the interview he choice that Dave had agreed to toss softballs. The cheat wasn't going anywhere he would be tested. Dave got publicity and ratings and Bill looked "good"...there was nothing more to it. Why I skipped it from the beginning.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
What a steaming pile of filth!! He should get A-Roid on next week. After that, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Tom Brady, and cap it off with Charles Manson.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Joaquin Phoenix tells Letterman: I hope spoof didn't offend you
Actor apologises to Late Show host for awkward interview that features in new film I'm Still Here

Joaquin-Phoenix-outside-L-006.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix arrives for an appearance on the Late Show. Of his spoof appearance, he told David Letterman: ‘I assumed that you would know the difference between a character and a real person’. Photograph: Donna Ward/Getty Images
Peter Walker

Eighteen months ago it was a distracted, straggly-bearded figure who sat on David Letterman's TV sofa to mumble through an excruciatingly awkward interview. Last night a more familiar Joaquin Phoenix was back – to apologise.

"You've interviewed many, many people and I assumed that you would know the difference between a character and a real person," the 35-year-old actor, now slim, clean shaven and once again resembling a film star, told Letterman. "I apologise. I hope I didn't offend you in any way."

Phoenix's return to the US talk show marks the end of a 18-month odyssey during which the twice Oscar-nominated actor gave a convincing portrayal of a celebrity in public meltdown. He announced his retirement from acting to pursue a career as a rapper. There followed a series of chaotic and inept performances, at least one of which ended with Phoenix wading into the crowd to attack a heckler.

The apparent transformation made news in February last year when the portly, scruffy and seemingly confused Phoenix appeared on Letterman's Late Show. After a series of monosyllabic or mumbled answers the chat-show host gave up, asking: "What can you tell us about your days with the Unabomber?"

Throughout, Phoenix was trailed by actor Casey Affleck, who is his brother-in-law, and a film crew. The result, I'm Still Here, was released this month as an ostensible documentary about the corrosive effects of celebrity and wealth on a now drug-addled actor in the profession since he was a child.

It was Affleck who confirmed what many suspected – that it was all an elaborate spoof – last week, telling the New York Times that Phoenix had given "a terrific performance, it's the performance of his career".

Phoenix is reportedly back to his day job with a rumoured role in Clint Eastwood's biopic of J Edgar Hoover, in which he will play the FBI head's confidant – and, some believe, lover – Clyde Tolson.

Back on Letterman, Phoenix dismissed the notion that the pair had been in cahoots last year. "Did I know anything about this? Was there a script that you and I were working with?" Letterman asked. "No," said Phoenix. Letterman admitted he had been perturbed by Phoenix's behaviour, saying: "It's like you hit your head in the tub."

To the other big question – why spend such a long time trying to fool people? – Phoenix said I'm Still Here was intended to be "a film that explored celebrity, which explored the relationship between the media and the consumers, and the celebrities themselves".

Letterman was gracious about having been deceived, while teasing Phoenix about whether he was legally entitled to use clips from the February 2009 appearance in the film. Affleck's lawyers had argued they didn't need to pay a license fee as it was a documentary, he said. "Well, now you owe me a million bucks," Letterman told Phoenix.

Affleck made his own chat show appearance this week, on Jay Leno's rival Tonight Show. He said there had been no concern from the film industry about the apparent breakdown of a man who only three years before was nominated for an Oscar for playing Johnny Cash in Walk the Line.

Affleck said: "Afterward, the movie comes out, the critics like to say, 'This is crazy, this is disturbing, this is sick'. But while it's happening, people were happy just to mock him and make fun of him."

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What's really prescient about "I'm Still Here" is that it wasn't even a year later that Charlie Sheen melted down for real and all the same damn culprits forgot that he was a human being with mental health and medical issues and used "celebrity" as an excuse to behave the way they did.

Apparently, it's perfectly acceptable to tear apart another human being... if they had any "celebrity" at any point...

Smh...