Another QB of the Future Mock Offseason...Memento-style.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay, people, here is my version of what I'd do in the offseason. I know that it's not that far from the heels of my last one, but bear with me here:

Cut:

Jared Cook, Kenny Britt, Rodger Saffold, Akeem Ayers, Chris Long, Stedman Bailey.

(Same as the last one. No surprises except Long, but the injuries are mounting for the lattermost. I'm assuming that Bailey will be cut after his suspension because of multiple miscues.)

Restructure:

James Laurinaitis.

Needs to happen.

Franchise:

Janoris Jenkins. Better to tag him than let him go via free agency for certain.

Let Go:

Rodney McLeod.
Nick Fairley.
Chase Reynolds.
Brian Quick.
Case Keenum.

(Can't re-sign everyone, especially when we need to make room for the future core of the team. Ask yourselves honestly if you'd rather have Rodney McLeod at whatever he'll make on the open market over some of the others we have coming up such as Ogletree, Austin, Brockers, McDonald, etc. Fairley is gone in this scenario. I never liked him, I will never re-sign him ever, so don't ask me to. Reynolds is replaceable, Quick is damaged goods, and Keenum gets replaced by a new quarterback.)

Re-sign:

Trumaine Johnson (four years)
Mark Barron (four years)
Cory Harkey (three years)
Tim Barnes (two years)
William Hayes (one year)
Eugene Sims (one year)
Wes Welker (one year, fully guaranteed, provided he stays healthy)
Greg Zuerlein (one year)
Benny Cunningham (RFA)
Cody Davis (RFA)
Daren Bates (RFA)
Justice Cunningham (ERFA)

(Zuerlein is on a prove-it contract, as he's still way too inconsistent for my liking. I'm still drafting a kicker for actual competition because he really needs it. Hayes, Sims, and Welker get one year for veteran leadership and because all three are amazing people in general. Johnson is the biggest cornerback we have, Barron takes Ayers' place in the linebacking corps, Tim Barnes is a good center who deserves a nice contract. The others are under our control and have no reason not to re-sign.)

Extend:

T.J. McDonald (four years)
Michael Brockers (four years)

(Needs to happen before they hit free agency. Pay them. They deserve it.)

Convert:

Lamarcus Joyner (CB - FS).

(Joyner hits like a safety and covers better at safety. Size doesn't matter to me, as I feel that he can cover the so-called angel position well enough.)

Free Agency:

Coby Fleener, TE, Indianapolis Colts (five years, seven million per year).

(Fleener gives us a big, athletic option that is very well rounded and could open up the middle of the field along with Kendricks and Harkey. Yes, that means I'm not trading Kendricks. No, that doesn't mean that I'm not trading someone, so be quiet, will you? I'm still me, after all. :p ;))

TRADES:

Janoris Jenkins to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2016 first (currently #12 overall) and a 2016 third.

(This is absolutely a conditional trade based on Jenkins signing with the Bucs. I don't believe that he will ever re-sign with St. Louis based on what he's said, and that is the only reason why I'm dealing him away. Better to get something for him now at the peak of his performance than to lose him without gaining anything. Tampa Bay is absolutely desperate for a cornerback, and they'd gladly welcome a hometown guy into the fold. In case you want to mention the Revis trade, Jenkins is playing far better than Revis was and is younger than Revis was at the time of his trade. In addition, the Bucs won't be able to sign AFC South rival cornerback Josh Norman, who will likely be franchised by Carolina, if they can't come to an agreement. That leaves them with Jenkins as their number one choice. And given the choice of Winston over Mariota, I think that this front office has a fetish for hometown players. :p)

#19 overall (our pick) and 2017 first round pick to Dallas Cowboys for #8 overall pick.

(Just low enough for them to select Ezekiel Elliott, but the Cowboys can't exactly ask for much more than that. Remember that they gave up only a first and a second to move up to sixth in 2012. This is fair value for both teams, and it leapfrogs the Niners and Texans, both of whom want quarterbacks badly. Plus Snead has a tendency to screw over NFC East teams, and Jerry Jones is absolutely senile and doesn't want a quarterback - and also couldn't if he tried.)

DRAFT:

#8 overall (Cowboys) - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis.

(I think that the Browns go with the Cal mystique of Aaron Rodgers and take Goff, who is by far the best quarterback in this class. Me? I'll go with Roethlisberger with a conscience. Lynch is not a pro-ready quarterback. He comes out of a spread system that has draw plays written for him. He is very mobile, probably more so than Big Ben, but goes to his first read and bubble screens often because of the system he's in. But let him sit for a year and learn in an NFL offense, and I guarantee you that this kid will amaze you beyond belief. He has a sniper rifle of an arm and seriously impressed me during the Ole Miss game that he won. He threw for three touchdowns and one interception that bounced off of his receiver's hands (not his fault). I loved that he went after their corners and took hits without fear, that he sensed the pressure and moved away from it, he took what a good defense gave him with pass-rushers in his face all game long (including an arguable top five prospect in Robert Nkemdiche). He took bad sacks at times, and needed to throw the ball away sometimes, but this kid is a wow prospect.

#12 overall (Bucs) - Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida.

(Small. Slight. Can't hold up in run support. Injured this year. Not as effective this year. He'll fall because of that. He's also the best cover corner in this class. Yes, even more so than Ramsey, whom I love. VH3 is a monster in coverage and has frustrated the best wide receivers in the nation since he came onto the scene as a true freshman. Once he gains more strength in an NFL weight room, he'll be a great cornerback for us and make us all forget about Janoris Jenkins. Think Darrelle Revis-lite.)

2nd round (Eagles) - Josh Doctson, WR, TCU.

(Minor injuries, an Air Raid offense, and the emergence of Fuller and Thomas drop him. Doctson doesn't give a damn and continues to be a great pass-catcher with deep threat potential. I've heard DeVante Parker and Jordan Matthews for this kid's comparisons.)

2nd round (Rams) - Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State.

(You've heard me hype up this kid. Jonathan Bullard is quickly rising up draft boards, while Ogbah is falling because Bullard is more polished. But isn't that what Waufle is for? To polish up our young defensie linemen? Lesser Ezekiel Ansah, but with more strength is what Ogbah is. He backs up Hayes while learning from everyone. He's an energizer bunny in terms of relentlessness, strictly a left end, which devalues his stock, but solid against the run and pass. He's just raw.)

3rd round (Bucs) - Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona.

(Yes, he's dropping because of athleticism and injuries and it's a wild dream that he comes out this year. I get it. He also has amazing instincts on par with Laurinaitis and Kuechly and is such a fantastic pass-rusher that he's often used on the edge. If he were used in coverage more, he'd be very impressive, I believe. Let him cut his teeth on special teams and blitz packages at first and learn from Laurinaitis, and you'll see a very special player the year after. @jrry32 has compared him to the recently-retired Borland, but I think he'll be better. I'm just hoping that he leaves early.)

3rd round (Rams) - De'Runnya Wilson, WR, Mississippi State.

(Yes, he is beyond raw. Yes, he needs to work on routes. Yes, he's had marijuana-related incidents in the past. He's also one of the most talented receivers in this class, capable of the athletic grab and fade due to his basketball roots. He only played as a senior in high school. Despite what jrry says, I do think that Wilson is a Kelvin Benjamin clone. And I was right on Benjamin before, right? Join the De'Runnya Wilson for the third round campaign today!)

4th round (Rams) - Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota.

(My dark horse in this draft. He's a solid slot cornerback who is an interception machine. He's dropping because of size and better cornerbacks emerging. He's not a star, but he'll be in the league for a long while.)

6th round (Rams) - Brad Craddock, K, Maryland.

(The only kicker I know in college who has his own highlights, Craddock did not miss at all until very late in the season last year and has worked with Matt Stover on all facets of kicking. The Aussie is likely the best kicker in this class, as the Florida State kid, Aguayo, is likely staying in school for his last year. And in the sixth round? Why not?)

Thoughts are very welcome.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems very optimistic in a few spots. Are we franchising Jenkins and then trading him? I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore.(I know it happened with Cassel but I think that it's frowned upon at minimum) Will Fuller said he's not declaring for the draft.(might change but as of now, he's returning for his senior year)

But since you did a mock...now I have to do one. Dang it, Memento. ;)

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems very optimistic in a few spots. Are we franchising Jenkins and then trading him? I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore.(I know it happened with Cassel but I think that it's frowned upon at minimum) Will Fuller said he's not declaring for the draft.(might change but as of now, he's returning for his senior year)

But since you did a mock...now I have to do one. Dang it, Memento. ;)

Could be optimistic on Doctson and Ogbah, but I've heard everything from mid first to mid (late, in Ogbah's case) second, so I don't feel that I'm too far off. Yes, we're franchising Jenkins and trading him. If we can't, allow him to sign a contract with the knowledge that we're trading him to his hometown. Everyone's happy. Fuller isn't declaring because of how Notre Dame is doing. If they win it all and he sees first round grades...well, haven't we all seen kids his age change their minds, especially when it comes to money?

Also, I feel that Goff will get the Sam Bradford treatment. He may be coming out of an Air Raid offense, but that's loads better than what Paxton Lynch is coming out of, and it's a smaller college in a lesser conference. Cal has a history of quarterbacks to fall on, while Memphis...I don't think they do.

Hargreaves could be anywhere in the top fifteen. He could very well fall, unlike Ramsey (whom I'd prefer, but that's just me wishing at that point).

Nah, I'm just bored as shit with nothing to do in the hospital until I get new digs next week. Nothing to do except grind on Pokemon games, chat with friends on Skype, and make mock drafts. You all, however, have lives. :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, I feel that Goff will get the Sam Bradford treatment. He may be coming out of an Air Raid offense, but that's loads better than what Paxton Lynch is coming out of, and it's a smaller college in a lesser conference. Cal has a history of quarterbacks to fall on, while Memphis...I don't think they do.

Eh. Lynch's offense is a spread. Same one that Dalton came from. Don't see it being any more of a knock than Goff's.

I think Goff's skinny frame will scare some teams away.

Nah, I'm just bored as crap with nothing to do in the hospital until I get new digs next week. Nothing to do except grind on Pokemon games, chat with friends on Skype, and make mock drafts. You all, however, have lives. :p

Sounds like a pretty good life to me haha. ;)

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eh. Lynch's offense is a spread. Same one that Dalton came from. Don't see it being any more of a knock than Goff's.

I think Goff's skinny frame will scare some teams away.

Sounds like a pretty good life to me haha. ;)

Lynch's offense is a read-option spread that caters more to the running back, bubble screens. YAC. The small college thing and weak competition (Ole Miss aside) is a very real issue that will make some teams balk. All in all, it depends on what the Browns want at quarterback.

Not really much of a life when you can't walk. I'd take walking and working over this any day. This is boring as hell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lynch's offense is a read-option spread that caters more to the running back, bubble screens. YAC. The small college thing and weak competition (Ole Miss aside) is a very real issue that will make some teams balk. All in all, it depends on what the Browns want at quarterback.

Not really much of a life when you can't walk. I'd take walking and working over this any day. This is boring as hell.

Patience. You'll get there.

Lynch's offense isn't really an issue. It's a pretty typical college spread. I feel the same way about Goff's. Neither are Baylor's offense...which I do consider an issue.