Another piece of the future contract decisions has just been made...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
No guts, no glory, they say. So here are my predictions for future Rubic Cube Ram roster contract decisions, fwiw.

First, a quick review from 30,000 feet.

Wade brought in and a 3 4 D was installed. This started a chain reaction.
Quinn now an OLB. Not working out well, so far.
Brockers moved to DE. Working out nicely.
Barron now an ILB. Looking better and better lately, despite his size.
Ogletree extended. Will he remain as an ILB? Stay tuned.
Donald at DE. He’s a stud wherever he plays and no matter what position one ascribes.
TruJo tagged, but not extended. Looks like long shot to stay after this year.
Smart a surprising starter. Great pick. But he’s not an imminent contract decision, anyway.
Webster signed and looks pretty good.
NRC signed for one year. Looking pretty good.
Barwin signed for only one year. Looks like a one year rental at this point.
Joyner played well before injury. Injured a lot throughout his career. Not yet extended.
JJ has replaced Mo. looks like a huge upgrade. Kid has ball instincts.
Watkins not yet extended. Has flashed but not impressive in last two games.
Tavon has flat out struggled except for the occasional flash in the run game.

So, what to deduce about Ram probable long term plans? Here are my best guesses...

Each move kinda gives a bit of a hint about other likely moves. If you close one eye, stand on one leg, and sneeze just right, that is. Lol.

Donald will probably be extended this year. It’s just a question of how soon he and his pos agent come to their senses. If not, he will be a Ram through ‘20, anyway. Bank one or the other of these 2 scenarios.

Quinn will likely see his role gradually reduced this year. And will likely be traded or even released next year for contract saving purposes. He’s just not cutting it in this D. In fairness, I think he’s playing in considerable pain.

Tree might be moved outside. Maybe even this year. But our future starting ILB will come from either the next draft or via FA.

TruJo will play elsewhere in ‘18. Unless he gets reasonable about his contract demands AND plays lights out in these next 11 games. That’s quite a parlay. I see a draft pick taking his place next year, although a CB that Wade really likes might just come available via FA, I suppose.

Joyner will be extended somehow, some way. Makes too much sense for both parties.

JJ will be our starting S for the next 10 years. Color me very impressed with this kid after rewatching that Seahawk game.

Watkins will be extended. A no brainer for both Watkins and the Rams. They are perfect for each other. Watkins will be a bigger and bigger part of this O as this season unfolds.

Tavon is a goner. This is a virtual lock, huh?

Sully is 50-50 to get a short extension. Too early to call. Sully has played well, but if a good C fell in their lap during the draft, the Rams might pounce. Sully shouldn’t be all that expensive, anyway. Like I said, 50-50.

NRC? I just dunno. Another 50-50 for me, I guess.

I lean toward losing Barwin after this season. An okay one year rental, but I think that they expected more, tbh.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict the AD and Joyner extensions will be agreed upon before this season is over.

I suspect that Wade is not done tinkering with his starting lineup. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see some shuffling at LB. Any or all of Quinn, Barwin, or Tree could be involved.

I’ll save my draft position priorities for another time and thread. I’m on plenty thin enough ice here as it is. Lol.

Bring it!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:wow: Excellent post Rams43. You know me ...I always have something to find fault in....I have no heartburn with any of these thoughts on current Ram team wisdom(y)

If you have five DB's involved in Free Agency in March of 2018 i.e. CB Trumaine Johnson, CB NRC, CB Troy Hill, FS Cody Davis & CB/FS Lamarcus Joyner needing a contract then this has to be addressed early.

DB Lamarcus Joyner has started @ five different positions since 2014 draft. (Outside corner, Nickle, Dime, High Safety & the Strong OLB'er). Such a multi purpose defender is would be my top priority. CB NRC would be my #2 target for me. NRC would bring a 6th year vet back into this secondary. He is not starting material but he is a good Nickle, Dime & temporary outside CB when needed.

The two above would join the signed 6 DB's ....CB Kayvon Webster, FS/SS John Johnson III, FS Blake Countess, CB Dom Hatfield, SS Marqui Christian & SS Isaiah Johnson. Thne the addition of some draft CB's.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Good write up @Rams43

I think you are mostly right on track 5 games into the season.

Quinn is the biggest mystery to me. Just think if he and Barwin, and Ogletree were just 80% of what we are accustomed to seeing from them. This defense would be nails, and we might be talking about an undefeated team right now.

The good news is, we have 11 more games to see how these guys respond. We can't have it all. As frustrating as some of these guys have played, (I now take Barron out of this category) we also have the good surprises of guys like John Johnson, and Brockers too.

I just am looking forward to a complete offensive/defensive performance Sunday.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:wow: Excellent post Rams43. You know me ...I always have something to find fault in....I have no heartburn with any of these thoughts on current Ram team wisdom(y)

Thanks, Bonifay.

High praise, coming from you. Lol.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Quinn is the biggest mystery to me. Just think if he and Barwin, and Ogletree were just 80% of what we are accustomed to seeing from them. This defense would be nails, and we might be talking about an undefeated team right now.

I thought Quinn played a lot better in the last game. i'm hoping he keep getting better as the season goes on. barring injury of coarse

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good work! I personally like the idea of Tree playing Barwins spot next year, or Barron's and he moves outside. I just don't see Tree as an impact pass rusher in this defense to take Quinns place. A 1st round pick to take Quinn's spot wth a fee agent ILB next to him then Tree and Barron? Could be a good crew imo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's a well thought out post 43. Who did it for you?

I'm kidding of course. You're always a great read on these topics. That is a bit of a Rubik's cube for the Rams there are a lot of moving parts.

TJohnson and ADonald are right at the heart of it too. Demoff needs to earn his money haha.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I thought Quinn played a lot better in the last game. i'm hoping he keep getting better as the season goes on. barring injury of coarse
I agree. I almost qualified my comments on Quinn. I was encouraged by his play Sunday.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn is going to finish the year with 10-12 sacks 6 forced fumbles. His run defense has already improved and last game he mixed in some spin moves as well. He is about to get it going mark it down

Psycho_X

Legend
Quinn is going to finish the year with 10-12 sacks 6 forced fumbles. His run defense has already improved and last game he mixed in some spin moves as well. He is about to get it going mark it down

I hope you're right, it'll go a long way to making this defense great again. Getting Quinn to the QB steadily and sealing the edge better will create a ripple effect across that whole front 7 that would bump them to the next level.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After seeing Alexander cut loose you can tell this isn't the same ole Rams organization. They are not afraid to makes changes during the season so you know things are likely to change again in the offseason. What are they going to be? Who improves over the next 2+ months?

Hard for me to guess at this point but we know one thing's for sure Tree is signed and AD is still on te outside looking in at the new contracts. AD is a great player but I still have a hard time seeing a DL get the kind of jack they want and I haven't seen the kind of play from him to justify it this year. Maybe he'd be farther along if he was in camp.

They still need help at ILB I just don't see Barron in there he is not a run stopper and is out of position alot. Let's see what they do against Fournette this weekend.

Good post, thanks for getting the discussion started.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Good write up. I hope they activate Price and give him some reps late in the season. Hope that Ebukam gets some work in their on 3rd and long, too.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Perhaps the signing of Tree indicates the rams will have 3 new starters next season at LB. Put Tree in the best possible position for him to excel, and bring in or promote 3 other starters to complement him. Moving on from Quinn and Barron would save 18 million in cap space in 2018, rams drafted 2 LB's in the past draft. Let Wade use that cap space to find players he wants for his system.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good write up. I hope they activate Price and give him some reps late in the season. Hope that Ebukam gets some work in their on 3rd and long, too.
I would expect that as Rob Quinn continues his trend on mediocre on field performances each & every game plus any sign of an injury to one of the starting LB'ers....... its a matter of time before we get our first opportunity to see Ejuam Price get his first NFL game experiences.

I am sure by now the Ram Org. fully knows that this will be Rob Quinn last season as a Ram. Ejuan Pice saw exclusive play @ the Quinn post during pre season. These ER LB'ing positions are key to making the Wade "D" work effectively. Its obviously that this Wade D is not there not even close & one of the reasons is the ongoing poor production coming from the weak-side (right) OLB'er (Edge Rusher) post when Rob Quinn is manning it. Quinn has not played a full season since 2014 so he could be playing on borrowed time now.

207 draft selection Ejaun Price may never be the full answer to Wade desires @ this ER post but he could be involved in several elements of OSLB'ers working @ that post together like Mat Longacre/ Carlos Thompson & Ejuan Price coming next season.

I beleive the best rookie ER we have is Samsom Ebukam & once he learns what he is suppose to do this Wade D will finally get going. Ebukam has been working both ER posts & sometimes inside too. Wade not going to put up with mediocre play from Quinn to long no matter how much he is getting paid.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/samson-ebukam?id=2558830
http://www.nfl.com/player/ejuanprice/2558002/combine
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/carlos-thompson?id=2553284

Last edited:

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Would you quit it with the "NRC". Say at least some part of the mans name. He is not famous enough to do that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would you quit it with the "NRC". Say at least some part of the mans name. He is not famous enough to do that.

Nickell Robey Coleman, gogoat1.

Our esteemed slot CB.

See why we prefer the initials when typing?

Need to keep up with the roster, man. Lol.