Another Loss: Rams Lose Game of Offensive Coordinator Musical Chairs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Again if this has been posted, my apologies.

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...-of-Offensive-Coordinator-Musical-Chairs.aspx

Jawaad Hasan posted on January 28, 2015 21:36
When Brian Schottenheimer took Georgia’s offensive coordinator job on January 7, I, like most Rams fans, did a few celebratory fist pumps and even a little dance (in my head). It was the biggest win of the season, bar none.

Schottenheimer has been the conductor of the 25th, 21st, and 21st best offenses, in terms of points scored, over his three-year stint with the Rams. And it was no aberration either. He’s only once in his career coordinated an offense to the top 10 in points scored and has never gotten his team amongst the top 10 in yards.

PI-NFL-Rams-Fisher-Bradford-012215.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg
My intention isn’t to pour it on on the now-former offensive
coordinator, but to show that an upgrade seemed easy and inevitable.

The grass seemed greener on the other side.

Well, we’re now over three weeks since Schotty headed to the Peach State and the Rams seemed to have lost the game of coordinator musical chairs.

As of today, only the Rams and San Francisco 49ers are without offensive coordinators… and the well seems to have dried up.

Both teams seemed to have been holding out hope for Rob Chudzinski, who served as the special assistant to Chuck Pagano and the Indianapolis Colts last season. Chudzinski boasted two top 10 offenses in his six seasons as a coordinator for the Cleveland Browns and Carolina Panthers (of all teams).

He was the best case scenario.

But alas, this was unrequited love. On Tuesday, Chudzinski opted to re-up with the Colts and be the offensive coordinator-in-waiting for them.

That being said, the only outsider that has been interviewed by head coach Jeff Fisher was former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator, Nathaniel Hackett. From almost accounts, Hackett was the “Schottenheimer of the North,” and his record indicated as much. In his two seasons with the Bills, the offense finished 22nd (despite boasting the 2nd best rush attack) and 18th.

Hackett had two interviews with The Stache, the most recent of which was on Tuesday. Whatever happened at that meeting was enough for Hackett to jump ship to become the next quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars on Wednesday.

So now what?

Unless a dark horse candidate pops out of nowhere (cough cough Mike Martz!!!), it appears the Rams will look in-house for a replacement, like quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti or tight ends coach Rob Boras. Keep in mind, though, that this is the same house that, like I said earlier, has not finished in the top 20 of offense in Fisher’s three-year regime!

There’s plenty of reasons why this job doesn’t seem enticing for prospective candidates: potential relocation, uncertain quarterback situation, subpar offensive weapons even after so much capitol investment, conservative head coach. Take your pick.

It’s not an ideal landing spot.

Just about every hot candidate even linked with the Rams in the past few weeks (Adam Gase, Kyle Shanahan amongst them), didn’t even elect to interview for the job before accepting positions with more established franchises, like the Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons.

Rams fans understand more than anyone else how tenuous the situation is here in St. Louis. And like we’ve just pointed out with Schottenheimer, you are what your reputation says you are.

So the question now becomes: Who wants to sully their reputation for a potential lame duck season in St. Louis?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Man it sure seems like Schotty would easily be our best option if he were available given the lack of qualified candidates at this time. I hope les, Kevin And Fish have steel toe boots on cause that bullet is going to sting.

No offense to the in house candidates but if they aren't or weren't on the radar of other teams in need of an O.C then maybe they shouldn't be on ours.

Last edited:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I nominate Sam Bradford's Beard as our OC.

That is a quality beard!

I don't know man.. To me it almost makes him look like a Keebler.. We don't need our QB, nor our offense, looking like that. Fish in that pictures resembles a bar owner to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Man it sure seems like Schotty would easily be our best option if he were available given the lack of qualified candidates at this time. I hope les, Kevin And Fish have steel toe boots on cause that bullet is going to sting.

No offense to the in house candidates but if they aren't or weren't on the radar of other teams in need of an O.C then maybe they shouldn't be on ours.

I disagree Schottenheimer was not not a good OC and Frank Cignetti the Ram QB Coach was interviewed for the OC job with the Browns just recently. I swear Schotty even gets credit when he's gone. The Ram offense will be better without Schottenheimer and Georgia will look back on their decision with great disdain!

Keep in mind back in 2008 Ram fans wanted a big splash and got one in Al Saunders and that was a season to forget and then Ram fans wanted Josh McDaniels in 2011 and that season simply went awry so maybe the in house candidates will be just what the Doctor ordered in 2015.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I disagree Schottenheimer was not not a good OC and Frank Cignetti the Ram QB Coach was interviewed for the OC job with the Browns just recently. I swear Schotty even gets credit when he's gone. The Ram offense will be better without Schottenheimer and Georgia will look back on their decision with great disdain!

Keep in mind back in 2008 Ram fans wanted a big splash and got one in Al Saunders and that was a season to forget and then Ram fans wanted Josh McDaniels in 2011 and that season simply went awry so maybe the in house candidates will be just what the Doctor ordered in 2015.

I sure hope you are right, it reaks of Control and Cash motivated along with a less than
attractive opportunity.
I am not a schotty sympathizer but he does take a lot of blame for poor QB play Poor O.L play and likely suffocation from superiors.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I sure hope you are right, it reaks of Control and Cash motivated along with a less than attractive opportunity.

The possible relocation could have something to do with it and Fisher could have a surprise, but IMO, William Westmoreland could run a better offensive than Brian Schottenheimer.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Yoda-hate.jpg

Keep it up though man.. I didn't like Schotty either.. I agree with you on the big splashes.. Where did they get us? I'm not sure I like the promoting within in this case, but if you keep recycling guys, where's your next diamond in the rough coming from? Guys have to get their start somewhere, no? It's either Martz, in house, or bust. :cool:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
View attachment 5168

Keep it up though man.. I didn't like Schotty either.. I agree with you on the big splashes.. Where did they get us? I'm not sure I like the promoting within in this case, but if you keep recycling guys, where's your next diamond in the rough coming from? Guys have to get their start somewhere, no? It's either Martz, in house, or bust. :cool:

I don't dislike Schottenheimer because he is a stand up guy and showcases loyalty, but just not a fan of his (from a coaching perspective) and I have a hard time understanding how he kept getting great opportunities. The Jets actually liked so much they forced him on Rex Ryan and the reason the interview with Steve Spagnuolo did not go well with the Jets is because Spags wanted Pat Shurmur.

So after being so highly regarded with the Jets, he wears out his welcome although he interviewed for Head Coaching opportunities and gets hired by Jeff Fisher. Another gig as an OC iwth little results and as soon as the flame starts to get hot off to college because he realized to stay in the NFL, he would be back to being a position coach, so he jumps to college and Georgia.

IMO, it does not matter who is the next Offensive Coordinator because he will offer more than Schottenheimer IMO. If it is in house Rob Boras offers some upside and Frank Cignetti has more experience being an offensive coordinator than Brian Schottenheimer did. If Fisher surprises us with someone else, great, but IMO the Ram offense will be better in 2015 than it was under Schottenheimer.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I don't dislike Schottenheimer because he is a stand up guy and showcases loyalty, but just not a fan of his (from a coaching perspective) and I have a hard time understanding how he kept getting great opportunities. The Jets actually liked so much they forced him on Rex Ryan and the reason the interview with Steve Spagnuolo did not go well with the Jets is because Spags wanted Pat Shurmur.

So after being so highly regarded with the Jets, he wears out his welcome although he interviewed for Head Coaching opportunities and gets hired by Jeff Fisher. Another gig as an OC iwth little results and as soon as the flame starts to get hot off to college because he realized to stay in the NFL, he would be back to being a position coach, so he jumps to college and Georgia.

IMO, it does not matter who is the next Offensive Coordinator because he will offer more than Schottenheimer IMO. If it is in house Rob Boras offers some upside and Frank Cignetti has more experience being an offensive coordinator than Brian Schottenheimer did. If Fisher surprises us with someone else, great, but IMO the Ram offense will be better in 2015 than it was under Schottenheimer.

I agree they should be better.. Also I was just razzing you with the Yoda image. Didn't mean to imply you hate anyone. I can't see you hating a soul. I didn't realize he was forced onto Rex Ryan with the Jets. Didn't realize that about Spags either.. Damn.

I can see where he would become a position coach if his tenure with the Rams was ended. It was the smart move to go to the college ranks. Do you think he was forced out this year, meaning Fisher told him to look for employment elsewhere? Or do you think he chose Georgia because of their offense, and also because he was afraid that one more bad year for the Rams and he would turn into a scapegoat?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pep Hamilton has been mentioned as a head coaching candidate. Chudzinski would become the Colts OC if he gets hired away next year and Chud will finally have an offense with a great QB. He could be the OC for Andrew Luck by 2016 season and with the Rams he has no idea who the QB would be.

So the Rams had little to offer Chud and the 49ers wanted him to do with Kaep what he did with Newton. Thing is he knows the 49ers front office situation sucks and that Kaepernick does too.

So he is biding his time and counting Luck.

It sucks because he really could have made a difference for the Rams IMO.

Might as well hand over the reigns to Boras because there is not much chance that he would be worse than Schottenheimer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I agree. What has Schottenheimer ever done to get such support? I cant seem to recall.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But don't you see the problem? Those are good offensive coordinators stuck with meh players or placed in bad situations. Saunders was really good in KC, and McDaniels is about to coach in a Super Bowl (again). Put both of those guy in stable organizations for more than one year and surround them with above average players and what do you get? Good offenses. I'm not saying Schotty was elite or anything, but people really need to take a step back and look at what he had to work with.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not saying Schotty was elite or anything, but people really need to take a step back and look at what he had to work with.

Understood, however, both of them have had success and had coordinated top ten offenses so you can give them the benefit of the doubt. All I'm trying to get across is the Rams did not lose Ernie Zampese, Norv Turner or even Hampton Pool, the guy that left really was not considered a strength and maybe just maybe Rob Boras, Frank Cignetti or even Dougie Spoon might be a better option.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree. What has Schottenheimer ever done to get such support? I cant seem to recall.

The one thing where Brian Schottenheimer has no equal is knowing when to get out of Dodge. He knew the Jets did not want him back so he hooked up a Veteran Head Coach that was getting a five year deal then when the crucial part of Fisher's tenure hangs in the balance, he bolts head back to the collegiate ranks and takes over an offense with a Head Coach that has been extended through 2019. Problem is with Schottenheimer as his OC Mark Richt will not fulfill his contract IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a good question. I'm sure he had some input, but the common theme has been to draft players with high athletic upside who needed serious coaching. I'm not sure any coordinator would prefer to take that route over polished players who have a better understanding of NFL concepts (or even playbooks). There's also the idea that it would be too much of a coincidence for Schotty to go after former Titans.