Another dumb article by Rams media re:. Jared Goff and play action last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Again another case of the media being lazy when it comes to the Rams. Is it, they invent stories because they have nothing substantive to write about or they just hack journalists?

Case in point new article out today about how Jared Goff needs to improve on his play action because last year was not good. No shit the OL sucked it was rated 31st by PFF, Gurley and Cooks didn't help (which the article cited), but when the first contact of our RBs is 6" last year vs 3' the previous 2 years tops in the league what team will respect our play action.

Goff's job in play action is minimal more mechanics than anything. A QB can't sell a run when the Defense is not going to believe you are going to run. Also when you try to run and fail the offense is put in a more predictable passing situation.

Lastly he was great in play action the previous 2 years tops in the league but all of a sudden it's his fault last year complete lazy writing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
tenor.gif

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's funny how Sports Media just doesn't like the Rams. They can't come after AD so Jared gets the brunt of criticism. Going into his 5th year with a SB appearance, 2 time Pro Bowler, and 91 passer rating. Gawd he's horrible and is worthless to maybe 4-5 teams. The rest would blow their load before the ink dried on a contract for him. SMH

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
From Football Guys, just now:

"Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff was the least efficient passer in the league on play-action attempts in 2019, but he attempted more play-action throws than any other QB.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Goff has to be better on play-action passes. In the Sean McVay system, utilizing play-action passes helps get receivers open downfield for big plays -- field-flipping plays at times. The Rams need to make sure to run the ball effectively which helps on the run fake when the team wants to execute a play-action pass."

No fucking shit?!?????

Whatever. Anyway, I love that league is DOUBTING US and WRITING US OFF.... McVay, Our Players, Our History... WE'VE STRIVED, WHEN OTHERS COUNTED US OUT.

Keep overlooking us League... McVay is going to have a retooled and re-focused OFFENSIVE ARSENAL.

Like a freaking kid with the cheat codes turned on.

HOOORAH!
- Joe, OUT :cool:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How did they work out he was the least efficient passer on play action attempts?

He wasn't seeing open guys? He was missing open guys? There were no open guys?

I'd love to know.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Kinda hard for the play action to work with no run game. That's more on mcvay than goff.

oldnotdead

Legend
These are the same media types that will claim they knew along that the Rams were good. Even beat writers like DaSilva simply act like they don't really know the team and haven't made an effort to really look at this roster. They take the easy way out and simply parrot other media types assuming they, in turn, must have done their homework.

If the o-line is simply solid in their play, they don't have to be elite, just able to execute at a good level consistently, this offense will be very hard to stop. Now look at their front 4 of Floyd, AD, Robinson, and Lewis and you have the makings of one of the best d-lines in the league. The secondary has more depth than I've ever seen on the Rams. As well as Darious Williams played last year he's probably #4 on the CB depth chart, Ramsey, Long, and Burgess ahead of him.

This roster is deep and talented. Both the Hawks and Niners aren't as good this year. IMO the Niner D will miss Buckner. With Robinson and Kiser in the middle, they won't be able to simply pound it between the tackles consistently. The Rams are much improved in their pass rush.

This team is better than the 2018 version that dominated the league. I wasn't joking when I posted that barring injuries, the Rams with this schedule can go undefeated in the regular season. There is no one on the schedule that this team can't beat. Kromer needs to prove he can coach up young talent. If he does, this team is a SB contender.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From Football Guys, just now:

"Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff was the least efficient passer in the league on play-action attempts in 2019, but he attempted more play-action throws than any other QB.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Goff has to be better on play-action passes. In the Sean McVay system, utilizing play-action passes helps get receivers open downfield for big plays -- field-flipping plays at times. The Rams need to make sure to run the ball effectively which helps on the run fake when the team wants to execute a play-action pass."

No fucking shit?!?????

Whatever. Anyway, I love that league is DOUBTING US and WRITING US OFF.... McVay, Our Players, Our History... WE'VE STRIVED, WHEN OTHERS COUNTED US OUT.

Keep overlooking us League... McVay is going to have a retooled and re-focused OFFENSIVE ARSENAL.

Like a freaking kid with the cheat codes turned on.

HOOORAH!
- Joe, OUT :cool:
Absolutely agree. If the OL is better where we are in top 15 in league as a line and if Cam Akers is solid the Offense will be better. The WRs/TEs are better, Goff has another year under his belt. Our Dline and secondary is better than last year plus a changing in coaching at the coordinator level so honestly I feel really good about this year.

This year is a referendum on McVay as well. I believe he is the second best coach in the league and he will figure out how we get us back into the playoffs and possibly the SB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Goff could simply master his check downs this year, I'll be happy.

Too many times open RBs were ignored out in the flat or on shorter routes while he tried to force the ball down the field on plays where he really didn't have to do so.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Once there is a perception it can be hard for some people to get past it. The old cliche past the point of no return. People thought he was a bust his rookie year. The lazy writers pointed to the problems he had. No thought of how bad the whole offense and system was under Jeff Fisher.

That perception carried over. Even when he was playing at an all pro level in 2018 people were saying he was just a product of the system. The same people that called him a bust in 2016. Face it, some guys are so arrogant they don't want to admit they were wrong. So they came up with system quarterback when he ascended. Even to the point where they said McVay could plug in any quarterback and win. Of course, the line problems showed that wasn't true. Which is another thing they won't admit to.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If Goff could simply master his check downs this year, I'll be happy.

Too many times open RBs were ignored out in the flat or on shorter routes while he tried to force the ball down the field on plays where he really didn't have to do so.

Remember when we had nothing but QB's who'd do the opposite?

I do want Goff to take what the defense will give him more, but damn I love having a QB who'll sling it 60 yards for the back breaker.