Another 2018 Mock Offseason by Memento.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm still mourning the result of the AFC Championship, so I decided to cheer myself up with a mock! Hope y'all like it.

Cut:

Mark Barron
Tavon Austin.

(No explanation necessary for Austin. Barron might cost too much to trade.)

Re-sign:

Aaron Donald - six years
Lamarcus Joyner - five years
Nickell Robey-Coleman - five years
Jake McQuaide - two years
Cornelius Lucas - one year
Troy Hill - ERFA
Malcolm Brown - ERFA
Matt Longacre - RFA

(All fairly obvious. Donald signs a deal that makes him the highest paid defensive player, and we also get Joyner and NRC to lock in the defense. Lucas can play both tackle spots, McQuaide is essential in our special teams, Brown and Longacre are no-brainers, and Hill has earned a stay of execution for now. Unfortunately, this - like @jrry32 's mock - assumes that we can't re-sign Watkins or Tru.)

Free Agents:

Paul Richardson - four years
Weston Richburg - five years
Kyle Fuller - one year
Tahir Whitehead - three years

(Like Jrry, I do like Richardson. I also love Richburg, and I think that the concussion scare will help us afford him. I love Whitehead as a run-stuffing inside linebacker next to Ogletree. Fuller is on a one-year prove-it deal because of injuries, but he's extremely talented.)

Trade:

Robert Quinn to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 2018 second round pick and 2018 third round pick.

(Tampa Bay has absolutely nothing at defensive end. Enter Quinn, who immediately makes their pass rush better. In return, we get a couple of high picks to play with.)

Ethan Westbrooks and 2018 seventh round pick to the Denver Broncos for 2018 fourth round pick.

(With the addition of our first round draft pick, we have little need for Westbrooks. We get a pick for him.)

Sean Mannion to the Washington Redskins for a conditional 2019 fourth round pick.

(We can afford to deal Mannion because I have a quarterback in mind for the draft.)

2018 first, 2018 third (Tampa Bay), 2018 fifth (Redskins) and 2019 second to Green Bay for #14 overall.

(Green Bay tends to trade down a fair bit, and my target is in the higher range.)

Draft:

1st (Green Bay) - Vita Vea, NT, Washington.

(Here we are with the man who will make this defense really stand out. Vea is a load at 6'5", 345 lbs., and he carries that weight well. He's ridiculously powerful, has great hand usage, and is a surprisingly great pass rusher. Think Haloti Ngata, but as a better pass-rusher.)

2nd (Tampa Bay) - Dorance Armstrong Jr., OLB, Kansas.

(Armstrong may be a Jayhawk - gag - but he's a great pass-rusher who should benefit from NFL talent surrounding him.)

3rd - Marcell Frazier, OLB, Missouri.

(Frazier might seem like a homer pick, but he's honestly a good rusher off the edge who should fit perfectly into Wade's scheme.)

4th (Broncos) - J.C. Jackson, CB, Maryland.

(Jackson has off-the-field concerns stemming from an armed robbery arrest at Florida that got him kicked off the team, but he's been clean at Maryland. On the field, he's great in man coverage, and he has rare athleticism at 6'1", 200 lbs.)

4th - Martez Carter, RB, Grambling State.

(Carter can be our Tarik Cohen, our Tyreek Hill, what Tavon Austin was supposed to be. Fast, cat-quick, and he can catch the ball well.)

5th - Folorunso Fatukasi, DE, Connecticut.

(Fatukasi is another mountain of a man who can use sheer brute strength to dominate at the line of scrimmage.)

6th (Lions) - Frank Ginda, ILB, San Jose State.

(Ginda led the entire FBS in tackles. I think he could be a solid backup ILB for us, battling it out with Hager for a spot on the team.)

6th (Bills) - Dane Cruikshank, CB/FS, Arizona.

(Cruikshank - whom, by the way, has an awesome name - really stood out at the East/West Shrine game. He doesn't have a lot of speed, which is why I'm putting him as a free safety. But his coverage is outstanding. He simply blankets receivers and tight ends, and he's a good tackler in open space as well.)

6th - Nic Shimonek, QB, Texas Tech.

(Shimonek also opened some eyes at the East/West Shrine game. He was easily the best quarterback on either squad, he has a live arm, and he looks like a good developmental quarterback to groom behind Goff and potentially gift us with a trade for a high pick.)

Be sure to let me know your thoughts!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love the idea of trading Quinn, provided they get a decent pick in this particular draft. Some of my favorite players in this draft at this early juncture of looking at them are slotted to go in round 2. I expect the usual workout rising/falling stuff, but overall this OLB edge class has some help for us. IF they plan on going another way than Quinn, now is the time to make the move, while he has value and a 4-3 team might want to avoid bidding on the market for him.

Vea is just a crazy talent for a big guy. I saw several of his games this year and the guy is going to be coveted due to his ability to play all over the DL. He's probably best served as NT in Wade's scheme (insanely good fit), but man, that is one dude who can be plugged in with different fronts and styles. I think he'll go top ten, certainly top fifteen. If the Rams were to get the ammo to go get him it'd be pretty sick.

But then again with the way the second round looks, I'd be good with moving down too. There are some really good players that are going to spill into that round. The CB and edge guys look really good into the third too, so dropping down would net us a good player there I am sure.

Either way I like your draft with Vea at the top. Don't get yours and Jrry's fascination with Richardson though lol. :whistle:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@Memento where is the beef on the offensive line? Would really concern me with depth, not one pick dedicated to the offensive line, who are the back ups? IMHO after the statement off the website you have to believe Offensive Line depth will be a priority in this draft along with defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy trades....
a 4th rounder for Mannion?? Lol. They can draft one in the 6th like you said, who will be just as good and under contract 3 years

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
None of these trades seem realistic. No OL depth being added is a worry. Doubt Armstrong is available where we or T.B. pick in the 2'nd. jmo.