Anonymous sources ... gotta love 'em.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
V3 said:
Height alone won't but having little mass, short arms and a less than average jump will. It doesn't mean he can't occasionally make catches deep but it won't be as consistent as with bigger WR's. Jump balls, fighting for contested balls, and room for throwing accuracy errors are all affected by those attributes.

Sure hasn't hurt DeSean Jackson or T.Y. Hilton. Didn't hurt Gary Clark, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, etc.

What you're saying isn't logically sound. Aside from exceptions such as Steve Smith, little guys aren't jump ball deep threats. They win with speed. And none of what you said is a knock on his ability to win with speed.

Hell...Chris Givens and Mike Wallace aren't even little guys but they win the same way.

And if anything, Tavon's speed is going to give Sam plenty of margin for error. Throw it deep and let him run it down. Sure...if you underthrow it, it'll be difficult for him to bail you out. But if you overthrow a bigger, slower WR...it'll be harder for him to track it down.

There are pros and cons to each side. But the knocks you are throwing out there really don't matter much to a guy like Austin in terms of being a deep threat.

And vertical jump doesn't even measure ability to win jump balls. It measures lower body explosiveness/strength.

If you don't believe me, I'll give you plenty of examples of guys who are great at winning jump balls that didn't have particularly good verticals. Winning jump balls is about timing, the ability to track the ball in the air, physicality/mind-set and hands.

iced

Austin has Desean Jackson speed..

wish he was used more up the side line - although he almost is always doubled deep

RamsNation

Rookie
I'm not scared for Tavon just yet,I do believe we are terribly using him.We aren't putting him in the right places to succeed but at the same time he clearly still hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game.Give him time and it will click for him

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
In Tyoka Jackson's interview this week there is a good discussion on Tavon and why he's out of the picture right now and how they can re-integrate him

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17350</a>

(they start talking about Tavon at around the 5:40 mark)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams backup QBs said, "It is like throwing to a lightning bug.", when working Austin out. Maybe Fisher needs to bring a bunch of lightning bugs into the dome and turn out the lights and let Sam practice.

I am disappointed that we have not seen Austin going deep at all.I really want to see if he can do it in the NFL successfully. if not he is an overdrafted slot receiver/ punt returner, that cost a first and a second rounder that could have been two productive starters.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It was revealed that his source was a thread on Ram stalk titled "So, I sat next to a personnel executive on a plane the other day."

but never will be known for his accuracy

Pretty sure that's 99.9% of all he's been known by since he's been in the league and before he was even drafted.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
jrry32 said:
V3 said:
Height alone won't but having little mass, short arms and a less than average jump will. It doesn't mean he can't occasionally make catches deep but it won't be as consistent as with bigger WR's. Jump balls, fighting for contested balls, and room for throwing accuracy errors are all affected by those attributes.

Sure hasn't hurt DeSean Jackson or T.Y. Hilton. Didn't hurt Gary Clark, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, etc.

What you're saying isn't logically sound. Aside from exceptions such as Steve Smith, little guys aren't jump ball deep threats. They win with speed. And none of what you said is a knock on his ability to win with speed.

Hell...Chris Givens and Mike Wallace aren't even little guys but they win the same way.

And if anything, Tavon's speed is going to give Sam plenty of margin for error. Throw it deep and let him run it down. Sure...if you underthrow it, it'll be difficult for him to bail you out. But if you overthrow a bigger, slower WR...it'll be harder for him to track it down.

There are pros and cons to each side. But the knocks you are throwing out there really don't matter much to a guy like Austin in terms of being a deep threat.

And vertical jump doesn't even measure ability to win jump balls. It measures lower body explosiveness/strength.

If you don't believe me, I'll give you plenty of examples of guys who are great at winning jump balls that didn't have particularly good verticals. Winning jump balls is about timing, the ability to track the ball in the air, physicality/mind-set and hands.

This ^^^

If we were asking Tavon to stand still next to a defender and have Sam deliver the ball, his catch radius would be a huge factor. But acknowledging that separation and ability to go get a ball matter as much if not more than size seems like an obvious thing to consider. Guys with size and jumping ability don't by default make better targets in the NFL, nor do they necessarily win the jump balls or tight coverage battles. It really depends on how they are being used. Throwing high and tight in tight coverage, a receiver with Quick's attributes work well. Quick hits, slants, deep balls, etc. all play into the hands of a speedy receiver and being a big, tall receiver rarely helps in those situations.

Pointing out the pass where Sam throws it way high is hardly a sample to hang your hat on. Everyone including Sam knows that was a total brain fart and I'm not sure ANY receiver catches that ball. I'm pretty damn sure a bigger receiver isn't anywhere near as open there so... But that may also be the one Rams play this "anonymous" executive has seen this season.

Taking advantage of a player's skill set is key in the NFL. That appears to me to be the real issue as far as Tavon goes. Whether it's play calling or execution by TA himself, we have not been able to take advantage of his strengths. But if you take that one pass away, missing him as a target doesn't really seem to be an issue.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This sort of speculation is great fodder to elicit passionate forum responses, but bares no real value being completely subjective and poorly investigated by a quick triggered so called knowledgeable exec.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Username said:
It was revealed that his source was a thread on Ram stalk titled "So, I sat next to a personnel executive on a plane the other day."

Pretty sure that's 99.9% of all he's been known by since he's been in the league and before he was even drafted.

I think the source on the PD board was a guy named Old Harry...or I could be getting it wrong and a thread titled: "In my dream, I was a NFL Exec and this is what I said..."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Username said:

I dunno what his completion percentage was in college, but in the NFL he is below average, which is why I posted before the season started that he has to improve that as much as anything else. Stu and I went back and forth a little because I said he needs to be at 64%.

58% doesn't cut it. And he has an alarming number of games at 50% or below, about one out of four, versus the same number of games over 64%, and so I see his accuracy as an issue that needs to be fixed.

V3

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
jrry32 said:
V3 said:

This ^^^

If we were asking Tavon to stand still next to a defender and have Sam deliver the ball, his catch radius would be a huge factor. But acknowledging that separation and ability to go get a ball matter as much if not more than size seems like an obvious thing to consider. Guys with size and jumping ability don't by default make better targets in the NFL, nor do they necessarily win the jump balls or tight coverage battles. It really depends on how they are being used. Throwing high and tight in tight coverage, a receiver with Quick's attributes work well. Quick hits, slants, deep balls, etc. all play into the hands of a speedy receiver and being a big, tall receiver rarely helps in those situations.

Pointing out the pass where Sam throws it way high is hardly a sample to hang your hat on. Everyone including Sam knows that was a total brain fart and I'm not sure ANY receiver catches that ball. I'm pretty damn sure a bigger receiver isn't anywhere near as open there so... But that may also be the one Rams play this "anonymous" executive has seen this season.

Taking advantage of a player's skill set is key in the NFL. That appears to me to be the real issue as far as Tavon goes. Whether it's play calling or execution by TA himself, we have not been able to take advantage of his strengths. But if you take that one pass away, missing him as a target doesn't really seem to be an issue.

I'm just going to respectfully disagree with you guys. I really don't feel like going into it and I respect both of you so I'll just leave it. I hope he's one of the exceptions and succeeds.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
What a terrible article, not only is it trying to say Bradford's some lousy QB who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, it's already throwing Tavon under the bus like every other instant gratification idiot in the world calling him a bust because he's not ripping off for 1000 yards and 20 TDs in his rookie season, saying small WRs don't work when they have and will when used properly. Not to mention they're asking for super production out of a rookie, a rookie WR no less.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
LesBaker said:
Username said:

I dunno what his completion percentage was in college, but in the NFL he is below average, which is why I posted before the season started that he has to improve that as much as anything else. Stu and I went back and forth a little because I said he needs to be at 64%.

58% doesn't cut it. And he has an alarming number of games at 50% or below, about one out of four, versus the same number of games over 64%, and so I see his accuracy as an issue that needs to be fixed.
58% on a team once again leading the league in drops, yes the completion percentage needs to increase however it is both ends of the equation that needs to improve

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:

In college his comp% was 67.6, and it's a reflection of the scheme and talent around him. And so is his comp% in the NFL. You need to check what his numbers looked like when he had guys like Alexander, a healthy Amendola, Clayton and Lloyd.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
HometownBoy said:
What a terrible article, not only is it trying to say Bradford's some lousy QB who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, it's already throwing Tavon under the bus like every other instant gratification idiot in the world calling him a bust because he's not ripping off for 1000 yards and 20 TDs in his rookie season, saying small WRs don't work when they have and will when used properly. Not to mention they're asking for super production out of a rookie, a rookie WR no less.
food for the ramstalk crowd. who needs Bernie when u got stuff like this?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LesBaker said:
Username said:

FWIW, if the Rams were league average in drops...Bradford's completion% this year would shoot up to over 63%.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The bottom line is that he can only get better, Tavon is just a rookie. Why not let him return kick offs since Cunningham is out anyway and Tavon isnt getting many looks? Use the dude!