Anonymous sources ... gotta love 'em.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Where's Tavon?

The talented St. Louis Rams climbed back to 3-3 with last weekend's blowout of the Houston Texans – and they may have revealed their pursuit of a revised offensive identity, too.

Though their personnel isn't really built to pound the ball on the ground, the Rams ran 25 times for 99 yards (4.0 average), mostly with rookie fifth-round draft pick Zac Stacy, and only used their top draft pick, receiver Tavon Austin, for three snaps.

Why is Austin's role seemingly shrinking? [hilite]A personnel executive for another NFL team theorized: "Little receivers don't work with inaccurate quarterbacks."[/hilite]

Sam Bradford is a 58.4% career passer. He's been more efficient this season – 59.5% passing, 13 touchdowns, three interceptions, 90.7 rating – [hilite]but never will be known for his accuracy.[/hilite]

Austin stands 5-foot-8 and 176 pounds. He leads the Rams with 24 catches but is averaging only 6.6 yards per reception, meaning he's mostly getting the ball near the line of scrimmage.

The bigger targets presented by Austin Pettis (6-3, 203), tight end Jared Cook (6-5, 254) and even Chris Givens (6-0, 203) are capable of creating more favorable matchups on the perimeter than Austin, who's best suited to the slot and is smallish even for that spot.

"You can get away with those guys if you have (Drew) Brees or (Tom) Brady," the executive said. "Of course, you can get away with a lot with those guys."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/10/17/kansas-city-chiefs-defense-went-to-school-on-rex-ryans-scheme/3005499/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... e/3005499/</a>

iced

X said:
Where's Tavon?

The talented St. Louis Rams climbed back to 3-3 with last weekend's blowout of the Houston Texans – and they may have revealed their pursuit of a revised offensive identity, too.

Though their personnel isn't really built to pound the ball on the ground, the Rams ran 25 times for 99 yards (4.0 average), mostly with rookie fifth-round draft pick Zac Stacy, and only used their top draft pick, receiver Tavon Austin, for three snaps.

Why is Austin's role seemingly shrinking? [hilite]A personnel executive for another NFL team theorized: "Little receivers don't work with inaccurate quarterbacks."[/hilite]

Sam Bradford is a 58.4% career passer. He's been more efficient this season – 59.5% passing, 13 touchdowns, three interceptions, 90.7 rating – [hilite]but never will be known for his accuracy.[/hilite]

Austin stands 5-foot-8 and 176 pounds. He leads the Rams with 24 catches but is averaging only 6.6 yards per reception, meaning he's mostly getting the ball near the line of scrimmage.

The bigger targets presented by Austin Pettis (6-3, 203), tight end Jared Cook (6-5, 254) and even Chris Givens (6-0, 203) are capable of creating more favorable matchups on the perimeter than Austin, who's best suited to the slot and is smallish even for that spot.

"You can get away with those guys if you have (Drew) Brees or (Tom) Brady," the executive said. "Of course, you can get away with a lot with those guys."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/10/17/kansas-city-chiefs-defense-went-to-school-on-rex-ryans-scheme/3005499/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... e/3005499/</a>

LMAO

Glad this executive doesn't work for us - probably works for the Bucs or Jaguars

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It is Sam's fault he's too small? That's what I got from this.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I put this 100% on Schotty. He is doing a piss poor job of using him.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Some jackoff pencil pusher commenting on another squads talent is :eloco:
He can worry about his own team.

The last time I checked Deshaun Jakcson has been lighting it up for years with a pretty inaccuarate QB - we just need time to develop the kid.

His touches will come.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I can't fault him on his opinion on Tavon. IMO he is too small to be a consistent target. His catching radius is the size of a pizza. I think Bradford can be accurate enough when he has enough protection but it's still going to be tough to pass to Austin on the deeper throws because of how small his catching radius is. His less than average vertical doesn't really help with the radius, either. (past 5 year avg for WR's is 35". Tavon's was 32")

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
V3 said:
Sorry, I can't fault him on his opinion on Tavon. IMO he is too small to be a consistent target. His catching radius is the size of a pizza. I think Bradford can be accurate enough when he has enough protection but it's still going to be tough to pass to Austin on the deeper throws because of how small his catching radius is. His less than average vertical doesn't really help with the radius, either. (past 5 year avg for WR's is 35". Tavon's was 32")
I'm sorry but Geno Smith was not the most accurate QB either but Tavon still produced like a beast in college. Let him and Sam gel and you will see the prospect we expected to see.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sam's accuracy was highly rated out of college... and while I think he's not lived up to that high bar... he's still pretty damn accurate.

I'm with iced; that executive must work for the Jags or something.

Besides; I've seen nothing out of Tavon's struggles related to accuracy. Sure, he's dropped some passes but it's not like he lunging for balls and dropping them.

Regardless; Tavon's fine. He's already shown glimpses of his potential and it's only 6 games into it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Barrison said:
V3 said:
I'm sorry but Geno Smith was not the most accurate QB either but Tavon still produced like a beast in college. Let him and Sam gel and you will see the prospect we expected to see.

There's a BIG difference between college football and the NFL. Size matters on the deep routes.

V3

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Sam's accuracy was highly rated out of college... and while I think he's not lived up to that high bar... he's still pretty damn accurate.

Besides; I've seen nothing out of Tavon's struggles related to accuracy. Sure, he's dropped some passes but it's not like he lunging for balls and dropping them.

Regardless; Tavon's fine. He's already shown glimpses of his potential and it's only 6 games into it.

Best example thus far was that missed pass from Bradford in the preseason game where they were on like the 2 yard line and Tavon was all alone on the right side and Bradford put a ball a little high and Tavon couldn't get it. To any other WR, it would have been a TD. To Austin, it was a miss. His catching radius was a factor.

I'm not saying Austin will be a bust or anything but I do think the Rams spent WAY too much for him. I don't think he was worth the 8th pick, let alone a 2nd rounder as well.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well that was stupid. The writer and source should be fined for contributing to media garbage.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
V3 said:
CGI_Ram said:

Best example thus far was that missed pass from Bradford in the preseason game where they were on like the 2 yard line and Tavon was all alone on the right side and Bradford put a ball a little high and Tavon couldn't get it. To any other WR, it would have been a TD. To Austin, it was a miss. His catching radius was a factor.

I'm not saying Austin will be a bust or anything but I do think the Rams spent WAY too much for him. I don't think he was worth the 8th pick, let alone a 2nd rounder as well.

Fair example. But Bradford blew that pass - it happens. A bigger receiver would have had to really stretch for it.

There's just not much more "data" to offer than that pass, IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He also had two great TD passes against Atlanta....in the games that matter. Too bad the defense stunk it up that game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Where's Tavon?

The anonymous source is partially right. Sam is at SOME fault but not because of accuracy. He's missed him at times when Austin was open in the intermediate range.

V3 said:

Vertical means next to nothing in the NFL. And it's really not even used to measure what you're attempting to use it for.

It's also going to be easier to pass to Austin on deeper throws because of how fast he is.

V3 said:
There's a BIG difference between college football and the NFL. Size matters on the deep routes.

No. There are many different things that work. If you're really trying to claim being 5'9" will keep him from being effective deep, I can easily disprove that theory.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't know what kind of drugs this guy is doing... But Sam is an accurate QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stranger said:
size matters?

It's not about the size of the boat...it's about the motion of the ocean.(ok...it's about both) :ww:

V3

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
X said:
Where's Tavon?

The anonymous source is partially right. Sam is at SOME fault but not because of accuracy. He's missed him at times when Austin was open in the intermediate range.

V3 said:

Vertical means next to nothing in the NFL. And it's really not even used to measure what you're attempting to use it for.

It's also going to be easier to pass to Austin on deeper throws because of how fast he is.

V3 said:

No. There are many different things that work. If you're really trying to claim being 5'9" will keep him from being effective deep, I can easily disprove that theory.

Height alone won't but having little mass, short arms and a less than average jump will. It doesn't mean he can't occasionally make catches deep but it won't be as consistent as with bigger WR's. Jump balls, fighting for contested balls, and room for throwing accuracy errors are all affected by those attributes.