Andy Dalton 6 year contract extension?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I'm going to be curious about the details for how much is guaranteed, and what some of the escalator provisions are.

I'd suspect that there's a lot more (or less, rather)to this deal than meets the eye, once those items are parsed out.

Irish

Starter
Lost in the shuffle of all of this is the elevated play of cost controlled rookie QBs. When guys like Dalton, Bradford, and Flaccos of the Future's contracts come up, will teams opt to pay the big second contract to your "middle of the pack" players (Alex Smith, Matt Flynn) or will teams start to look a the draft for the next Kaepernick or Wilson to lead their teams and spend money in other areas.

I just wonder if teams will withhold paying huge contracts to middling players if this string of successful first and second year QBs continues, especially if cycling out QBs who are remarkably average leads to the next diamond in the rough, "franchise" quarterback.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lost in the shuffle of all of this is the elevated play of cost controlled rookie QBs. When guys like Dalton, Bradford, and Flaccos of the Future's contracts come up, will teams opt to pay the big second contract to your "middle of the pack" players (Alex Smith, Matt Flynn) or will teams start to look a the draft for the next Kaepernick or Wilson to lead their teams and spend money in other areas.

I just wonder if teams will withhold paying huge contracts to middling players if this string of successful first and second year QBs continues, especially if cycling out QBs who are remarkably average leads to the next diamond in the rough, "franchise" quarterback.

And if they're lucky, they'll draft the next Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbert, or Christian Ponder.

Many more QBs crap out than succeed. Kap And Wilson were drafted into situations where the team would be good with almost any QB - it's still to be seen how good they really are. I suspect Wilson really is good (but not great) and Kaepernick is in for a rough time.

Athos

Legend
Dear lord. 19$ mil for a post season choke artist?

I hope he gives half of that contract to AJ Green. Because, without AJ Green, Dalton really is nothing. He turns the ball over at a realty bad clip.

Dalton has:

Been selected for a Pro Bowl
Made the Playoffs (3 Times)
AFC Offensive Player of the month
AFC Offensive player of the week (3 times)

48 Games Played- 60.8% completion percentage, 11,630 Yards, 80 TDs, 49 INTs, 85.5 QBR, 7 Rushing TDs

Bradford has:

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

49 Games Played- 58.6% completion percentage, 11,065 Yards, 59 TDs, 38 INTs, 79.3 QBR, 2 Rushing TDs

If this sets the ceiling for Bradford I will take it. Bradford needs to have a monster season in a run first offense to get anywhere close to Dalton money.

Wow. When you put their starts next to each other, Dalton has had the benefit of playing in a weaker division, especially right now, AJ Green his entire career, and his stats are only marginally better. Add terrible playoff games to that as well. Sure seems rich.

Last edited:

VARam

At this point I would rather have a playoff gag artist than what we have now. make the playoffs or GTFO. How many years do we have to wait for the Rams to get it together?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
At this point I would rather have a playoff gag artist than what we have now. make the playoffs or GTFO. How many years do we have to wait for the Rams to get it together?
The talent level of the previous regimes were absolutely god awful, this roster and depth chart is the direct result of Les Snead and Jeff Fisher without them I don't even want to see where we would be right now. We got the most talent we've had in the last 10 years, the wait is over bro...

VARam

We got the most talent we've had in the last 10 years, the wait is over bro...

2010- the wait is over...whoops

2011- the wait is over...Facepalm

Lip service hasn't gotten us anywhere. I've been burned a lot of times than I care to recall. Get to the postseason by any means necessary otherwise it will be time to restart the rebuilding process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I want to see the guaranteed amount just to see how it plays out. I'm just guessing at this point it's like Kaepernick's contract, a bunch of one year deals bundled into a long term package with incentives that both Dalton and the team would like to be met but unlikely to happen making it look richer than it really is. Bengals can walk away from Dalton and not get killed like Cutlers or Kaepernick's. They have cap room so front loading it would be a good idea.
Since the Bengals have nothing else it's protection for them.
Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

Found this on twitter and it looks right. I LOL'd
Andrew Luck ‏@FauxAndyLuck 1h
Dalton playoff stats: 0-3, 1 TD, 6 INT, 56 comp %. Mark Sanchez playoff stats: 4-2, 9 TD, 3 INT, 60 comp %.

Irish

Starter

Lip service hasn't gotten us anywhere. I've been burned a lot of times than I care to recall. Get to the postseason by any means necessary otherwise it will be time to restart the rebuilding process.

I understand the frustration; lord knows I regret buying tickets in 11 and 12 after being sold a bill of goods by the powers that be, but you don't need to blow the whole thing up if we under achieve again this year. If Sam sucks and underperforms, you dump him. If Schotty struggles to call a game plan that can win in today's NFL, you dump him. If our corners struggle like last year and our horses up front can't be as effective because the secondary gets torched, you dump them. If our receivers once again fail on the big stage, you dump them. But this team right now is about 75% of a winning team, and one that can win for a long time. You don't dump 75% because 25% doesn't cut the mustard, you go out and get new 25%. This is a make or break year in the truest sense of the words for those guys mentioned above.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

And shame on us for believing success would come from mediocrity, but you're going to give up hope when we have the most talented team we have had in years? We finished 7-9 with Kellen freaking Clemens that is a feat in it self and now we have more talent and on top of that a healthy Sam Bradford. If you can't see the difference between having Snisher run the shots compared to Devaney/Spags and Linehan then you are blind sir...

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I'm not "blind", I just refuse to be fooled again.
Lol! Nothing to be fooled about, pretty easy to see this 2014 RAMS team is the most talented roster we have fielded in a long time.

Philly5

Rookie

Not sure who is "fooling you" but I have not expected anything more than a .500 record since the 2011 disaster. Not expecting much more than that this year also. Sure hope they don't blow it up and start over.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Lip service hasn't gotten us anywhere. I've been burned a lot of times than I care to recall. Get to the postseason by any means necessary otherwise restart the rebuilding process.
Yeah... great idea. :rolleyes: Let's just rebuild every three years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

71Won'tGetFooledAgain-Australia-SM-The_Who.jpg