Andy Dalton 6 year contract extension?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
On phone so I cant post tweets, but apparently it comes out to $19M a year. $115M total.

We can stop complaining about Bradford's contract now, I think. Dalton's not any better a QB than Sam is.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
On phone so I cant post tweets, but apparently it comes out to $19M a year. $115M total.

We can stop complaining about Bradford's contract now, I think. Dalton's not any better a QB than Sam is.
Nowhere near Sam....we will find out soon.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This isn't good for Sam's contract talks, though. I pegged him at about a max of $18 mil per year.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If Dalton is getting that much, then Bradford is going to get paid similarly. Then people will complain about Bradford's new contract. It will never end.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This isn't good for Sam's contract talks, though. I pegged him at about a max of $18 mil per year.

If Dalton is getting that much, then Bradford is going to get paid similarly. Then people will complain about Bradford's new contract. It will never end.

Probably going to use the injuries as leverage, plus the fact that Dalton has made the playoffs. Even though Sam is a better player, that's just how it is.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whoa. That's steep for Dalton.

But... speaks volumes to how hard it is to find a capable QB. They'd rather lock him up, good enough to win with, than keep searching.

People can critique Sam all they want; but if finding the next Peyton Manning was so easy all teams would have one.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This might be similar to Kaeps incentive laden deal, so it might not be as bad once we get the full details.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Probably going to use the injuries as leverage, plus the fact that Dalton has made the playoffs. Even though Sam is a better player, that's just how it is.

Good points. I'd love to lock Sam up for 16-18 mil, unless he bombs the season. Then it's time to hit the reset button.

Irish

Starter
Dalton has:

Been selected for a Pro Bowl
Made the Playoffs (3 Times)
AFC Offensive Player of the month
AFC Offensive player of the week (3 times)

48 Games Played- 60.8% completion percentage, 11,630 Yards, 80 TDs, 49 INTs, 85.5 QBR, 7 Rushing TDs

Bradford has:

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

49 Games Played- 58.6% completion percentage, 11,065 Yards, 59 TDs, 38 INTs, 79.3 QBR, 2 Rushing TDs

If this sets the ceiling for Bradford I will take it. Bradford needs to have a monster season in a run first offense to get anywhere close to Dalton money.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Dalton has:

48 Games Played- 60.8% completion percentage, 11,630 Yards, 80 TDs, 49 INTs, 85.5 QBR, 7 Rushing TDs

Bradford has:

49 Games Played- 58.6% completion percentage, 11,065 Yards, 59 TDs, 38 INTs, 79.3 QBR, 2 Rushing TDs

If this sets the ceiling for Bradford I will take it. Bradford needs to have a monster season in a run first offense to get anywhere close to Dalton money.

Dalton fell into a very good situation. He plays behind an above average offensive line, they have never lacked a running game, and has some dang good pass catchers. I'm excited to see what Sam Bradford can do behind this years line and with the group of guys he has to work with this year.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Dalton has:

Bradford has:

Dalton has had: AJ Green and Jermaine Gresham

Bradford has had: Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, and about 5 Mike Sims Walkers.

JRobinson

MiLB
Whoa. That's steep for Dalton.

But... speaks volumes to how hard it is to find a capable QB. They'd rather lock him up, good enough to win with, than keep searching.

People can critique Sam all they want; but if finding the next Peyton Manning was so easy all teams would have one.

In my estimation, this hits the nail on the head. There are "decent/serviceable" QBs all over the league. But it's clear that Dalton is perhaps more than that in the eyes of the Bangles. In addition, the price you pay for QBs in their second contract is evident. Personally, I believe that the Bangles think that Dalton hasn't reached his fullest potential while still having a little bit of a ceiling to reach.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bradford has had: Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, and about 5 Mike Sims Walkers.

Yes, but if Bradford has a big year now that he finally has support, he'll get paid for it - minus something for his injury history. Contracts are usually forward facing - if Bradford has the year we know he can have, he'll be able to get big bucks elsewhere if the Rams don't sign him. I'd expect a fair deal to be struck - not as low as the Rams would like, not as much as Bradford would get if he were a free agent.

Irish

Starter
Dalton fell into a very good situation. He plays behind an above average offensive line, they have never lacked a running game, and has some dang good pass catchers. I'm excited to see what Sam Bradford can do behind this years line and with the group of guys he has to work with this year.

I will concede that Dalton may not be head and shoulders above Sam, but when it comes to contracts, its a results oriented business. Win and get paid.

Dalton won, he got paid.

But that's just it: it doesn't matter. Dalton performed, Sam didn't, or at least hasn't yet. In the NFL you get paid for performance, numbers, and accomplishments, and so far Dalton has those things, and Sam does not.

Now, if Sam goes out and sets the world on fire in the run first offense this year and jacks his numbers up, makes a pro bowl, and maybe makes the playoffs we are having a different discussion, but as of right now Dalton is worth more than Bradford.

Philly5

Rookie
The going rate for second contracts of QBs. What choice do the Bengals have? Somebody will pay him and they would need to start over. If Bradford stays healthy he will get similar deal.