Andrus Peat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If Amari Cooper, Kevin White and Brandon Scherff are all gone by the time the Rams pick does anyone think they will consider selecting OT Andrus Peat? I used to read a lot about him being one of the top offensive linemen prospects in the 2015 Draft but would he be good fit for the Rams and would he be worth the #10 pick? I am still keeping my fingers crossed that the Rams can sign at least two FA OL before the Draft but if not then I am guessing they will be picking a few offensive linemen in the Draft with one of those probably in the 1st round. I kind of think of Scherff as an immediate fix with Peat being more of a long-term solution with possibly more upside.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I guess it all depends on what they do in FA. Barkesdale is the only guy left out there that could start at RT for us. So if he is not signed then Peat has to be in play at 10. If they resign Barkesdale can Peat play guard?

T-Hawks

UDFA
I would not mind taking Devante Parker in that scenario. Another possibility is taking Trae Waynes. He is the real deal and we could let Jenkins and Johnson walk next year and have Waynes and Gaines lol

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that this OT is a great fit here. He has Jake Long size & comes from an excellent football program. From all that I can find he can swing to either side. Snead may be able to get a trade down with an extra second day pick & going down a little from #10 & still get Peat. If he misses he could settle for ORT Clemmings or ORT/OLG La'el Collins. None would be a bad fit here.

The thing about Peat is if there a hiccup in the pass blocking development with last yrs first pick Greg Robinson. If GR regresses or is tarded in his pass pro the Andrius Peat selection would take the serious pressure off of the young GR. Lets just hope that Robinson does not have lingering issues with that Toe surgery & he can continue to develop the needed pass blocking skills. If GR needs more time then line peat up @ his natural position @ OLT with GR next to him @ OLG & watch these two young monsters cave in the right side DL's.

I sure do not see a loose loose here.

Athos

Legend
Depends.

His run blocking is kinda bad. Clemmings is good, while pass blocking bad.

Scheme dependent, thought Peat is a great talent for the line in any case.

Still gotta wait for FA to finish shaking out.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I might be in the minority, but I really don't like his game. He has good size but he really struggles against stunt, specifically inside. He also gets bull rushed too much for a man his size and in the run games he tends to lunge at blockers.

There is a lot to like, his size, pretty nimble and moves well for a guy his size. Prototypical size. Everything you want from a LT.

But when I watch him although nothing jumps out as an egregious deficiency there is just something I can not get past and I cant put my finger on him. He just feels like a very average prospect. If he was around in the 20's I believe there is value there, but I would not touch him in the top 15.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I might be in the minority, but I really don't like his game. He has good size but he really struggles against stunt, specifically inside. He also gets bull rushed too much for a man his size and in the run games he tends to lunge at blockers.

There is a lot to like, his size, pretty nimble and moves well for a guy his size. Prototypical size. Everything you want from a LT.

But when I watch him although nothing jumps out as an egregious deficiency there is just something I can not get past and I cant put my finger on him. He just feels like a very average prospect. If he was around in the 20's I believe there is value there, but I would not touch him in the top 15.

I totally agree with you Boston. I am not a Peat fan. He looks like a woulda coulda shoulda, but doesn't.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I agree with Boston. His run blocking does not seem to fit with our PBS. He does solve our Swing tackle issue in that he can play both tackle positions but he seems like a more finesse player than power blocker. I prefer the other tackle candidates myself.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
It basically depends on ol FA signings, but I don't see Snisher taking Peat at 10. If we re-sign Barks, the tackle spots-----which is Peat's best position-----would be filled. Gotta agree with Boston, everythings there but Peat doesn't seem to utilize his talents fully, especially in the run game. If Scherff is gone (I think he's their guy), I think they trade down and target either Flowers or Collins.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Lately it seems like Stanford Olinemen get a lot of hype pre-draft only to get selected a bit later than where some expect.

Last year Cameron Fleming and David Yankey went in the 4th and 5th rounds when most, if not all, the mock drafts I saw had them in the 2nd round at the latest. Jonathan Martin was a so-called first rounder who didn't come off the board until the 2nd round. People were calling David DeCastro a top 10-15 pick and he didn't hear his name called until #24. I wonder if Peat will suffer the same fate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lately it seems like Stanford Olinemen get a lot of hype pre-draft only to get selected a bit later than where some expect.

Last year Cameron Fleming and David Yankey went in the 4th and 5th rounds when most, if not all, the mock drafts I saw had them in the 2nd round at the latest. Jonathan Martin was a so-called first rounder who didn't come off the board until the 2nd round. People were calling David DeCastro a top 10-15 pick and he didn't hear his name called until #24. I wonder if Peat will suffer the same fate.

All good points. As fans we mostly watch these guys play conference games. The PAC is not really known to produce great defensive lines, or defenses in general. So Stanford Olinemen may just look great against sub par competition and GMs know it and account for it.

Stel

Starter
I'm most intriqued by Ereck Flowers. Looks like a very good run blocker but needs some work on pass protection. Big, strong, long arms. A bit less athletic than Robinson. Seems a lot like Cordy Glenn. Probably a bit of a reach at #10, but if we trade down a few spots . . .

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm most intriqued by Ereck Flowers. Looks like a very good run blocker but needs some work on pass protection. Big, strong, long arms. A bit less athletic than Robinson. Seems a lot like Cordy Glenn. Probably a bit of a reach at #10, but if we trade down a few spots . . .

Do you thnk that Eric Flowers game matches the post season hype he is getting. I thought once he hit the combine that he really started to get talked about more.

Is he more of a Measurables guy? Or does he have some Alex Barron to him or something?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Donovan Smith will be the best OT in this whole draft. Round three baby!

I don't see it. Smith measures out great but he never played to his potential and was not a good practice guy at Penn State. That entire line was bad this year, Smiths play was included in that. Hackenburg was constantly under pressure from all along the line. One poster here said he was told that Smith was told to enter the draft because the PSU staff didn't want him back because his work habits were a negative influence on teammates. I asked around and a few PSU insiders that I know said that they heard the same thing.

I would not want him based on his play alone.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Do you thnk that Eric Flowers game matches the post season hype he is getting. I thought once he hit the combine that he really started to get talked about more.

Is he more of a Measurables guy? Or does he have some Alex Barron to him or something?

I think its somewhere in the middle. I like him better than Peat but his game has a few warts. His pass pro can be exploited, so when a quick defender finds a hole Flowers has trouble adjusting. I like him in the run game. I really like nasty play to the whistle type of players and Flowers is that kind of guy. His pass pro kind of reminds me of Fred Miller. Do you remember him? Can be solid in pass pro for long stretches but when a defender finds a hole he ends up getting dominated.

Again, I don't like him at 10 but after 17 or so there is some value with him.

Stel

Starter

I think he is still somewhat raw and needs polishing by good coaching. His stock has gone up since the draft season picked up in earnest but a lot of that has to do with him being an underclassman from a mediocre ACC team and people weren't focussed on him. Think he has some fighter in him and likes playing football (I don't think Barron had much fight or true love of the game) and can be a bit nasty. Flowers will plow people down run blocking but will be beaten in pass protection on occasion. Good enough to start his first year and will only get better. More importantly, I think he has the desire to get better and doesn't like getting beaten. Think he would make a solid bookend ROT to go with Robinson at LOT.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I don't think Peat will be one of those guys, and I thought all, but one of the other's would fall. Don't remember Fleming in top consideration. Decastro was way overrated -- for top 10 consideration, and I called Martin a poor man's Saffold.

@Elmgrovegnome , Flowers does have something of Barron in him, but it's not desire, it's smoothness when he plays. Just needs work on his hands, his footwork is pretty good. Flowers makes a lot of things look easy, the other part of him, reminds me of Okung.