Andrew Whitworth brought offseason training home for Rams offensive linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Andrew Whitworth brought offseason training home for Rams offensive linemen​

At the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic last year, Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth began outfitting his garage with gym equipment.

Whitworth did not initially envision that it would become a workout spot for Rams teammates. But the 15-year veteran said all offensive linemen, except for recently drafted rookies, have spent this offseason training together in his Westlake Village home gym.

“Most of the guys just call it ‘The Dojo,’ right now,” Whitworth said Tuesday during a videoconference, adding, “Everybody’s involved and invested in it and that’s made it unique. It’s created a really special bond between us.”

Whitworth, 39, is the leader of a line that must protect new quarterback Matthew Stafford for a team that will begin the season as a Super Bowl contender.

Whitworth will celebrate his 40th birthday on Dec. 12, the day before the Rams play the Arizona Cardinals in a late-season game on “Monday Night Football.”

“I tell him all the time, he’s like a fine wine,” coach Sean McVay said. “He gets better with age.”

Whitworth signed with the Rams in 2017 after playing 11 seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals. Last season he suffered a knee injury that forced him to sit out the final seven games. Whitworth returned for the playoffs, helping the Rams to an NFC wild-card victory over the Seattle Seahawks. The season ended with a divisional-round loss to the Green Bay Packers.

In February, McVay replaced Aaron Kromer, the Rams’ offensive line coach the last four seasons, with Kevin Carberry, who coached the last three seasons at Stanford. Carberry and the linemen have worked together for the first time during organized team activities, which conclude next week with a minicamp.

“Almost like a feeling-out process,” Whitworth said, “Like, ‘Hey, here’s some things we’re going to check, and see where are we with these things.’ ”

Whitworth said Bengals Hall of Fame tackle Anthony Munoz, who retired after the 1992 season, mentored and instilled in him the importance of offseason work, and the need to focus on individual improvement.

“He used to always tell me, ‘Man, the offseason is the time to be selfish,’ ” Whitworth said. “And what he meant by that is that it’s really the time to hone in on what is that you do, and really to fine tune those skills so that when you get together in camp, when you get together in a season, it’s really about executing football.”

Whitworth gets in his work while enjoying the camaraderie of teammates. He said his garage is replete with squat racks, weight benches, dumbbell racks and cardio equipment to work on strength and mobility. There are other training devices as well.

“We got all kinds of nooks and crannies and little gadgets everywhere, in every corner, in every cabinet I can find stuffed with some kind of equipment,” he said.

Whitworth, 6 feet 7 and 330 pounds, has not given in to age. He follows a regimen that during the season includes a controlled, healthy diet. He acknowledged that he allows himself some dietary liberties during the offseason.

“Every time I DoorDash to Taco Bell, I feel it,” he joked. “So, my joints know what happened, I can assure you that.”

Whitworth aims to be in top shape when the Rams open the season Sept. 12 against the Chicago Bears at SoFi Stadium. He will be protecting the blind side of Stafford, a 12-year veteran acquired in a trade with the Detroit Lions for quarterback Jared Goff and two first-round draft picks.

As with Whitworth, Stafford joined the Rams after spending more than a decade in the Midwest with a team that did not win a playoff game.

“It’s almost invigorating, and then also a little nerve-wracking to come somewhere else where there’s expectation,” Whitworth said, adding, “It almost fires you up and makes you feel like a rookie again.”

After playing with Goff for four seasons, Whitworth — and younger Rams linemen — are getting acclimated to Stafford’s voice, snap cadence and movement. Whitworth said there is not a coverage scheme or defense that Stafford has not seen.

“He understands all of the little nuances of things that, there’s just no way you can have those without the time in the game and without the experience,” Whitworth said.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is the kind of thing you think about after a SB victory and can point to as one of the reasons this team was special.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Curious to see what Whitworth’s garage looks like, something tells me they’re not moving bicycles out of the way to get a workout in.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care I'm going to say it:

He's one of the all time great Rams despite only playing for us for four years

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Curious to see what Whitworth’s garage looks like, something tells me they’re not moving bicycles out of the way to get a workout in.
Check out the Offseason Workouts thread. All O line pics and videos that were posted are from his garage.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All offseason I kept reading and hearing how we have to address the offensive line. But PFF had them ranked 3rd last season. Is it possible the Rams coaching knows more about it than the fans and media? Nah, that couldn't be it.

Honestly, the only position I wanted to upgrade was center. I was hoping we could draft one. But I forget Corbett was a center. And the 33rd overall pick. He's got enough talent for it. I have a feeling center is not going to be the weak link this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see the workouts and the pics of him schooling guys on the field and think damn this dude has taken 100% ownership. He is like a coach on the field. Also makes me think this unit might take a step forward now that they don't have a center who can't hold his water.

Just one of many special players I am thankful for. I want to pinch myself at times that we are living in this era of Rams football. We are blessed my Rams brethren.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see the workouts and the pics of him schooling guys on the field and think damn this dude has taken 100% ownership. He is like a coach on the field. Also makes me think this unit might take a step forward now that they don't have a center who can't hold his water.

Just one of many special players I am thankful for. I want to pinch myself at times that we are living in this era of Rams football. We are blessed my Rams brethren.
VXggAe2.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams LT Andrew Whitworth Looks Forward to Playing at 40​

Andrew Whitworth knows the game on this year’s schedule when he’ll turn 40 years old.

It’s a Week 14 road contest on Dec. 13 against the Arizona Cardinals.

Whitworth turns 40 years old a day earlier on Dec. 12.

However, entering his 16th NFL season, the 39-year-old veteran doesn’t take anything for granted; Whitworth knows he must make it through the league’s grueling, marathon season first -- which includes playing a 17-game season for the first time in his NFL career.

“If we get there and we have that opportunity, it would be a really cool feat,” Whitworth said. “Honestly, just playing my 16th season is the first thing to check off, and I can’t wait to walk out Week 1, and just the journey to get to that. I take it step by step, and I’m looking forward to this season. I’m excited about it.”

Whitworth was unable to do that in 2020, missing seven games during the regular season due a PCL and MCL tear in his left knee.

However, the hunger to get back on the field and speed of which he returned for the postseason confirmed Whitworth’s desire to play another year.

“As soon as I realized in the offseason that rehab and all of those things had gone really well and we felt like we were in a great spot, I knew I wanted to play the game mentally and, in my heart, so it was a pretty easy decision,” Whitworth said.

Of course, there were some financial considerations to take care of first.

“You’re sitting there, and you’re trying to figure out how to fit yourself under the salary cap,” Whitworth said. “And at the same time, I’m joking that, ‘Hey, if I would have stayed healthy, I would be asking you guys to double my salary. But unfortunately, I didn’t, so here we are and let’s figure it out.’”

The Rams and Whitworth’s representation did just that, coming to a compromise on a contract restructure that included a salary reduction from $7 million to $4 million in guaranteed money in 2021 for Whitworth, helping the Rams get under the salary cap.

Now, Whitworth is focused on returning to the Pro Bowl level form he showed before a knee injury derailed his 2020 season.

“It’s really about that individual mentality, what can you do to get better and get ready for the season,” Whitworth said, when asked about his goals this offseason. “I can remember Anthony Munoz when I was in Cincinnati was somebody I leaned on a lot as a mentor of mine, one of the greatest to ever play the game. And he used to always tell me the offseason is the time to be selfish.

“And what he meant by that is that it’s the time to really hone in what you do, and really fine tune those skills. So that when you get together in camp and in the season, it’s really about executing football.”

Last season, Whitworth created a home workout space in his garage due to COVID. Now that he has the space at home, Whitworth hosts all the offensive linemen for workouts during the week. He’s nicknamed the place “The Dojo.”

Whitworth said the biggest hurdle to creating his home gym was convincing his wife Melissa that it doesn’t rain very much in Southern California, unlike the couple’s native Louisiana, and that they could park their cars outside.

“I would say last year we probably had seven to eight guys that trained every day in the offseason in the gym,” Whitworth said. “And this year, I think we have every single guy except for the rookies. … It’s been fun these last few weeks, just all being together, having two workout groups.

“And the gym has grown over the year and a half substantially. We’ve got all kinds of nooks and crannies and gadgets in every corner, and every cabinet I can find is stuffed with some type of equipment I use.”

This offseason, part of the transition for Whitworth and the rest of his teammates has been adapting to new quarterback Matthew Stafford’s cadence and communication in the huddle, and his overall demeanor on the field.

“One of the things that Stafford has that Jared (Goff) couldn’t have had at this moment is experience,” Whitworth said. “When you’ve played eight, nine, 10 or 11 years -- you’ve gotten into a groove where how many coverages is there really that you haven’t seen multiple times? Played against multiple defenses and have had a lot of experience playing against different coverages and running different routes into those coverages.

“It’s just that experience. One of the things you can tell with him (Stafford) with the way he carries himself and the way we do things, he understands all the little nuances of things. And there’s just no way you can have those things without the time in the game, and without the experiences.”

Whitworth also has had to adapt to a new person at center in Austin Corbett and a new offensive line coach in Kevin Carberry.

“It’s been a little bit of a transition there,” Whitworth said about Corbett. “Obviously, in an offensive line group, there’s five guys your kind of used to working with. So, Corbett slides in there as someone we’ve worked with in the past and had to communicate with.

“It’s pretty seamless, as far as that stuff goes. You’re not getting a lot of crazy stuff going on that’s really going to be difficult this time of year. It’s more technique work and kind of working on the basics. And probably for him, learning the center position and those kinds of things, so I’m just trying to help where I can and help him in that process to explain that position.”

Whitworth said Carberry is taking his time to get to know the offensive line group.

“It’s almost like a feeling out process of time together,” Whitworth said. “It’s like, here’s some things we’re going to check and see where we are with these things. And him kind of getting to know us, and what he can help us with. And vice versa, us getting to know him and what we can help him with.”