Andrew Helmick.... full practice today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
JT...
After getting his feet wet in a return to practice Saturday, Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick had a full practice Monday.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great news. I'd hate for him/us to lose out just because of an injury. I'm really anxious to see him play in our next game. :bg:

paceram

Pro Bowler
max said:
JT...
After getting his feet wet in a return to practice Saturday, Lindenwood WR Andrew Helmick had a full practice Monday.

Who do you think has the edge right now for the 6th (If, the Rams keep 6) WR spot if it does come down to Helmick & Radway?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I've never seen him on the field yet. Can't wait to see what all the talk was about.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
paceram said:
max said:
JT...

Who do you think has the edge right now for the 6th (If, the Rams keep 6) WR spot if it does come down to Helmick & Radway?

I'm anxious to see Helmick in horns. Hopefully, saturday night.

I'm not as impressed with Radway as others. He looks like a subpar jag to me. Just a first impression though.

So far, I'm not impressed with any of the 2nd stringers at WR. I have high hopes for Helmrick.

V3

Hall of Fame
max said:
paceram said:
max said:
JT...

I'm not as impressed with Radway as others. He looks like a subpar jag to me. Just a first impression though.

So far, I'm not impressed with any of the 2nd stringers at WR. I have high hopes for Helmrick.

You weren't impressed with Bailey? He's a 2nd stringer and I thought he looked great in the first game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
paceram said:
max said:
JT...

Assuming Helmick can return to his PRE hamstring production, he is way out in front of the rest of the pack. The other guy who is being noticed, and as worked his way up the Depth Chart is Justin Veltung. He and Helmick rotated in the slot with the 2nd unit today.

The only thing Radway has shown throughout camp is his ability to be INCONSISTENT. His hands are suspect at best, and he doesn't run crisp routes. He will make a highlight type play, then follow it up with 2 drops on routine balls.

The other thing that surprised me about him, he is 26. A little old to be a "developmental" guy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I want to see him do returns. If he can do well there he is on the roster and then they can coach him up and maybe he turns into a productive player.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
V3 said:
max said:
paceram said:
max said:
JT...

You weren't impressed with Bailey? He's a 2nd stringer and I thought he looked great in the first game.

Let me restate. I am unimpressed by any WR not named:
Givens
Bailey
Austin
Quick

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CoachO said:
paceram said:
max said:
JT...

Assuming Helmick can return to his PRE hamstring production, he is way out in front of the rest of the pack. The other guy who is being noticed, and as worked his way up the Depth Chart is Justin Veltung. He and Helmick rotated in the slot with the 2nd unit today.

The only thing Radway has shown throughout camp is his ability to be INCONSISTENT. His hands are suspect at best, and he doesn't run crisp routes. He will make a highlight type play, then follow it up with 2 drops on routine balls.

The other thing that surprised me about him, he is 26. A little old to be a "developmental" guy.

Thx. O.

And it makes perfect sense based on all I've heard and seen.

V3

Hall of Fame
max said:
V3 said:
max said:
paceram said:
max said:
JT...

Let me restate. I am unimpressed by any WR not named:
Givens
Bailey
Austin
Quick

OK. Yeah, that I agree with as well.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
I want to see him do returns. If he can do well there he is on the roster and then they can coach him up and maybe he turns into a productive player.

Helmick was part of the line of guys returning kickoffs today. He did it in college, and being he is a 4.3-4.4 guy, this could indeed propel him over the top for that 6th roster spot.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO with his WR evaluations:

I'm not going to make too many assumptions about the pecking order because we don't see all the practices.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I if was going with upside only, I would keep Helmick and Veltung over Pettis. They can do things physically that Pettis can't and by middle of the season they would be a bigger asset.
Never Show a playmaker the door.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
Helmick was part of the line of guys returning kickoffs today. He did it in college, and being he is a 4.3-4.4 guy, this could indeed propel him over the top for that 6th roster spot.

That's what I'm talking about Willis!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Lesson

Oh, really?
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:

How did he look returning kicks?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Lesson said:
CoachO said:
LesBaker said:

How did he look returning kicks?

The drill they were working primarily on the blocking schemes, and the return guys were fielding kicks from the jugs machine. And taking it up field, at less than full speed.

But, I think he has a certain quality about him, that he sees the field very well, and his speed is deceptive. At 6'1, he doesn't look very big, but it gives the perception he isn't moving very fast. But he has legitimate 4.35-4.40 speed.

He did return kicks at Lindenwood, and yes, while I understand that the level of competition leaves a lot to be desired when trying to evaluate a player like him, the fact that he has experience fielding kicks, and has the physical tools to do it, bodes well.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
What are the chances we keep 7 WRs? Given that we likely won't have a FB on the roster does this become feasible? I'd rather begin the season with 2 QBs and let Hekker be the emergency QB than to let a talented WR leave too soon. If we get to our 3rs QB our chances for success are slim to begin with.