Andrew Donnal no longer the 'other' Iowa O-lineman/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Andrew Donnal no longer the 'other' Iowa offensive lineman
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...al-no-longer-the-other-iowa-offensive-lineman

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In search of help for their offensive line in the 2015 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams made no shortage of trips to the University of Iowa.

There in Iowa City, the Rams and the other 31 NFL teams found the top offensive line prospect in this year's draft in the form of Brandon Scherff. Scherff was the Hawkeyes' dominant left tackle, pushing defenders around in the run game and keeping his quarterbacks clean in pass protection.

But in Scherff's final season at Iowa in 2014, he wasn't the only Hawkeye that began to draw attention. On the right side of the line was Andrew Donnal, a 6-foot-6, 313-pounder cut from a similar cloth as Scherff.

“Obviously when the scouts go in, you’re going to evaluate the draft-eligible players," Rams general manager Les Snead said. "So he was going to get evaluated one way or the other. But last year he played guard. This year they moved him out to right tackle. Did some left tackle a couple times when Scherff went out, he got banged a couple times, so versatile. So you just knew his versatility and then through the combine process tested relatively well for a tall, big man.”

By the time the draft arrived, the Rams had Scherff pegged as the top lineman available but so, too, did the rest of the league. The Washington Redskins ended up using the fifth overall pick on Scherff well before the Rams drafted at No. 10 overall. Not that his presence would have made much difference given the team's interest in running back Todd Gurley.

After drafting Gurley in the first round, the Rams devoted much of the rest of the draft, especially the next three rounds, on offensive lineman. When the third day started, they had already added potential starters in tackle Rob Havenstein and guard Jamon Brown but Donnal proved too enticing to pass up after playing both tackle and both guard spots at various points in his career.

Donnal said he didn't spend much time watching the draft early on other than to see where his teammate would land. It was on Day 3 when Donnal knew his time might come.

“I watched for Brandon the first day," Donnal said. "I was really looking forward to watching him get drafted. I knew he was going to go high. It was great to see him on TV and get the recognition he deserves. Yesterday, I watched it here and there. I didn’t really make a huge deal of it. Just kind of watch to see what happens and hung out with family and friends, but today we stayed pretty glued to the TV.”

Upon arrival in St. Louis, Donnal isn't likely to be asked to hop into the starting lineup right away. Considering the other pieces added to the line, he's more likely to serve in a utility role where he can backup just about anyone. As you'd expect from an offensive lineman from Iowa, it's a role that suits Donnal just fine.

“I view myself as a blue-collar grinder," Donnal said. "I’m a guy that’s going to come out and work my [rear] off everyday be the best that I can possibly be. I thoroughly enjoy just playing football, being an offensive lineman and moving the guy from point A to point B against his will. Protecting the quarterback and mauling inside -- there’s nothing better.”

Donnal views his time and the constant comparisons to Scherff as a good thing for his career, pointing out that the constant comparisons helped drive him to succeed. Now that both are in the NFL, it's s clean slate for all parties, who have to prove themselves all over again. The Rams and Redskins are scheduled to meet in Week 2.

"Really it’s not about when you get on a team or how you get on a team," Donnal said. "It’s what you do when you get there. We’re basically both starting over fresh. It’s a completely different experience for the both of us, and I know we’re both going to work as hard as we possibly can to play the best football that we can for our organizations.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Current Iowa Hawkeye Head Coach Kirk Ferentz joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about Andrew Donnal, what he saw from him in his college career, why he thinks it can translate to the NFL, and why he thinks Iowa DT Louis Trinca-Pasat can make the Rams practice squad.

Listen to Ferentz Talk Andrew Donnal

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ferentz thinks OT is a more natural position for Donnal.

Ferentz says he'll be shocked if DT Louis Trinca-Pasatis is not on the roster or practice squad for the Rams this year.

On Jeff Fisher: he's an unbelievable football coach...the way players play for him, the effort and enthusiasm they play with... I've been a huge Jeff Fisher fan forever...one of the great coaches in the NFL...I wish the Rams all the best.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Donnal a lot....He was another solid player that participated in the senior bowl...I think as he gains strength, he'll be awesome. That seems to be a theme among most of these rookies....Wichman & Brown seem OK, but could probably get a lot stronger & quicker too....That new guy Wang seems to be the total package athletically, but I have never seen him play.
Wisconsin linemen are taught to play every position on the line, I didn't know Iowa did the same. But I look for college teams with dominant running games as potential players for the Rams...