Andrew Donnal is used to Pushing Himself against the Best/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rookie OL Donnal is used to pushing himself against the best
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ed-to-pushing-himself-against-the-best-052715

Andrew Donnal, a fourth-round pick of the Rams, will be up against some strong competition in training camp.

ST. LOUIS -- Iowa offensive line coach Brian Ferentz says his favorite story about Andrew Donnal, a fourth-round draft pick this year by the St. Louis Rams, is not what people would expect.

It came after a knee injury forced Donnal to miss the last five games of his sophomore season at Iowa, interrupting a promising trajectory -- he'd gone from being listed as second-team left tackle after spring practice to earning three consecutive starts at right guard almost midway through the 2012 season. Donnal had knee surgery and returned to football the following spring but, based on his coach's expectations, was underperforming.

To Ferentz, the situation wasn't abnormal.

"Most athletes end up just fine -- they end up better than they were before the (knee) surgery," he says. "It just takes a little bit of time because there's a confidence issue that comes with that, and until you go out there and you really put that knee through the paces, you struggle to really believe you're back."

After his difficulty finding that confidence in the spring, Donnal found himself entering the football season rotating with another player at the guard position. Though he wasn't pleased, and expressed as much to Ferentz, he embraced the role, played well and -- most important -- put the team first.

"You find out more about guys when everything's not going their way," Ferentz says. "He was able to put the football team first, and do what he had to do to be a good teammate and a good football player for our football team, and help us win a lot of games. And that's why it's my favorite story -- that's who he is."

That mentality should serve Donnal well as he transitions to St. Louis, a team with several holes on the offensive line, and even more candidates to fill them. The Rams drafted four offensive linemen this year, and the competition will likely be limited to two spots: right guard and tackle.

"I'm just willing to play wherever a team needs me," Donnal says. "I'm going to do whatever a team needs me to do."

Andrew Donnal's position coach at Iowa says first and foremost, Donnal is a team player.

He'll be up against strong competition, including two rookies drafted in earlier rounds -- Rob Havenstein, whom the Rams took in the second, and third-rounder Jamon Brown. Being surrounded by players who may have an edge on talent, however, is something Donnal knows how to turn to an advantage. At Iowa, he was teammates with lineman Brandon Scherff, who went fifth overall this year to the Washington Redskins, and says the two often pushed each other in the weight room and on the football field.

"It's helped me a tremendous amount to be able to learn from him," Donnal says. "Having a guy like Brandon to be able to push yourself against and to play with was an outstanding resource."

His former coach witnessed the pair's influence on each other on the field, as well as their friendship.

"They partnered in all our drills," Ferentz says. "They hunt together, they fish together. The only thing they don't do, I think" -- he adds dryly -- "is live together."

Listening to Donnal talk about his determination and passion for the job makes it hard to believe he ever lived in anyone's shadow.

"I'm a guy that's going to come out and work my ass off every day to be the best that I can possibly be," he said immediately after being drafted. "I thoroughly enjoy just playing football, being an offensive lineman and moving the guy from point A to point B against his will. Protecting the quarterback and mauling inside, there's nothing better."

He echoed a similar tone one week later, standing in the team's indoor practice facility during rookie orientation. The topic was the Rams' emphasis on running the ball this season after drafting four offensive linemen and adding Georgia running back Todd Gurley to a backfield that included Tre Mason.

"That's a lineman's dream," Donnal says. "We want to run the ball, push people around. We like it dirty and messy. We don't like everything clean. That's an awesome situation for us to come into."

And one, based on his history, that Donnal will likely make the most of.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see Andrew Donnal as the Rams #8 OL this season. His Versatility is what will serve him well his rookie season. Boudreau loves his type. If he can prove me right he will be a Ram Ol'er here for a while.

Yes it sure looks like he has two Ol'ers veteran Garrett Reynolds & Rob Havenstein cemented in @ his ORT post that he played his senior season.

But Donnal has some decent pass protection skills that many of the other OL'ers do not have. Its been said often too that he is smart & a good learner. Its been mentioned that Donnal has some early OLT experience & may get some OLG action too. Very early Bottom line thoughts here on Donnal is he will partake in being a back up @ 3 posts...ORT,OLG & OLT in training Camp.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
At Iowa, he was teammates with lineman Brandon Scherff, who went fifth overall this year to the Washington Redskins, and says the two often pushed each other in the weight room and on the football field.
I like Donnal a lot....He's very efficient in his technique...Always in the right spot...But if they were "pushing" themselves, I don't get how 300lb men, can't bench 225lbs, more than 30 times? or at least in the high 20's....I mean, supposedly workout warriors...But technique wise, these two should do well in the pros...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Donnal a lot....He's very efficient in his technique...Always in the right spot...But if they were "pushing" themselves, I don't get how 300lb men, can't bench 225lbs, more than 30 times? or at least in the high 20's....I mean, supposedly workout warriors...But technique wise, these two should do well in the pros...

Does he have crazy long arms? If not I agree he should be able to push 225 at least 20 times.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben

Long arms make bench press extremely difficult. Also, bench isn't a true indicator of strength and is extremely overrated unless you're on the defensive line. Tavon put up 14 reps, Havenstein put up 16. Do you really think tavon is almost as strong as Havenstein?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Quite frankly this is the draft choice I like the least. Now I do understand that Donnal can play every position on the OL including center, but versatility and ability are two different things...One would hope that Donnal is not a jack of all trades and a master at none!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
.But if they were "pushing" themselves, I don't get how 300lb men, can't bench 225lbs, more than 30 times? or at least in the high 20's....I mean, supposedly workout warriors...But technique wise, these two should do well in the pros...

This is where I disagree some guys are better in different areas of weight training maybe Donnal can curl or squat, however, I posted this before taller guys at times are challenged (bench press) because of longer arms...Overall I understand that you feel they should be working on that area all during college, but again I'm sure there are other areas of strength that they excell in and again big difference of weight room strong and farm strong.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Quite frankly this is the draft choice I like the least. Now I do understand that Donnal can play every position on the OL including center, but versatility and ability are two different things...One would hope that Donnal is not a jack of all trades and a master at none!

I think what they're looking at is versatility among several players. Especially the depth guys. I remember a few years ago New England had guys that were pretty versatile, able to play multiple positions. That way, when one goes down they're able to move someone and keep the best available guys playing at all times. If the best backup only plays right tackle and the starters aren't versatile he can't replace an injured guard. So they gotta go with their second best.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Excellent point den....thus far "a jack of all trades and a master at none" fits our own Smart Barrett Jones @ the NFL level. If Barrett battles for the OLG post early in TC he will get a chance to trash that.

The Smart Donnal could be a copy of the now departed Mike Person. We just do not know. If Barrett sticks in there as a starter @ OLG then Donnal's value increases greatly. A player who is the jack of all trades are great game day dressers!

The early this yr surgery & now rehabbing event will give younger players like Barrett, Jamon, Cody & Andrew many more opportunities in TC & Preseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tavon put up 14 reps, Havenstein put up 16. Do you really think tavon is almost as strong as Havenstein?
hmmm, yep I do....
Does he have crazy long arms?
Not out of the ordinary for a guy 6'7
some guys are better in different areas of weight training maybe Donnal can curl or squat,
I think the longest armed OL was Flowers, and I think he benched the most...I get the long arms argument, but c'mon..16 reps? And squats are more important...so is overall balance from upper-body to lower body. But typically, a guy that's strong, is usually strong all over, he may have better areas like back, or arms, but there will be an overall powerful person that is really not weak in any area. And I do believe a decent bench is needed by offense linemen...The push and pull all day...they use their shoulders...but they also need strong core, strong legs too...most guys with strong bench are strong all over...hopefully, and my point is, a guy that has a long way to go in strength, but still plays well can really improve with the added training of becoming a professional...His "upside" is actually higher than a player that is performing at the same level but is much stronger. Hopefully, Donnal is just clay, soft clay, that will be hardened by Strength Coach Rock Gullickson....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
hmmm, yep I do....
Not out of the ordinary for a guy 6'7
I think the longest armed OL was Flowers, and I think he benched the most...I get the long arms argument, but c'mon..16 reps? And squats are more important...so is overall balance from upper-body to lower body. But typically, a guy that's strong, is usually strong all over, he may have better areas like back, or arms, but there will be an overall powerful person that is really not weak in any area. And I do believe a decent bench is needed by offense linemen...The push and pull all day...they use their shoulders...but they also need strong core, strong legs too...most guys with strong bench are strong all over...hopefully, and my point is, a guy that has a long way to go in strength, but still plays well can really improve with the added training of becoming a professional...His "upside" is actually higher than a player that is performing at the same level but is much stronger. Hopefully, Donnal is just clay, soft clay, that will be hardened by Strength Coach Rock Gullickson....

Does appear that 3 of out 4 2015 drafted OL'ers have a history of conditioning issues. Jamon was said to be up over 350 pounds after the holidays in January. We all know that Rob Havenstein has been yrs getting into his present condition. Andrew was also said to be in great need of hardening & upgrade in power. Only Cody seems to be clear in this area where he is no longer trim 6-6 315 but working hard & is more 325 lbs.

We will see what Rock has done with Barrett & Demetrius early in TC!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Only Cody seems to be clear in this area where he is no longer trim 6-6 315 but working hard & is more 325 lbs.
Which is why Cody is NOT the worst athlete of this bunch, and my wildcard candidate to start at Left guard next to G-Rob..Dude is a house already...Looked okay vs SC and Lenard Williams too....

jjab360

Legend
I... don't really care. There's not much, if any, correlation between high or low bench press reps and success in the NFL for OL.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hopefully, Donnal is just clay, soft clay, that will be hardened by Strength Coach Rock Gullickson....

Agreed and I'm sure he'll get stronger and I don't disagree I'm taller and would utilize a wide grip accordingly, but granted 16 not good and if anyone is going to improve Donnal's strength, it will be Rock!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
correlation between high or low bench press reps and success in the NFL for OL.
sorta like saying there is no correlation for 4.4 speed and success as a CB or RB...maybe, maybe not...But it does correlate in round drafted...strength & speed....and typically, guys drafted higher have a better chance of becoming successful pros...not the end all or be all, just better chance...
take it a step further...I really liked Lewan last year, probably a lil more than G-Rob. But due to G-Rob's combine numbers (speed & strength at his playing weight) I figured he (Robinson) would project to a better pro (all things being equal irregardless of off the field behavior) and would be selected 1st. Much like most of the highly drafted linemen, one thing strength in the weight room usually shows is a work ethic & commitment that the pros like...And I like it too...
And finally, a few years ago, all our wrs ran about the same 40 time...Salas, Pettis, Gibson...all of them. No variety...no real speed/size freaks...Easy to say now, but I figured they were pretty average bunch, and to prove the point, I don't think there is one in the NFL besides Danny A. that has done squat...And DA was a rare athlete...gritty, hardnosed, and guess what? Danny was able to bench 225, 14 times...One of the best players I have ever seen in person in HS was Larry Allen, oh yeah, monster on the bench. To think this skill is useless is being a bit disingenuous...