Andre Johnson headlines no-shows for Tuesday's OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport has reported that Andre Johnson is unlikely to attendHouston Texans mandatory minicamp in June, so it was no surprise that the veteran wide receiver failed to report for voluntary OTAs on Tuesday.

Absences from voluntary practices are traditionally overblown by head coaches as well as the media, only to be long forgotten by the time training camps roll around in late July.

It's noteworthy in Johnson's case, though, because of speculation in Houston that he would have a change of heart and join his teammates after openly wondering if he would be better off playing for a different organization at this stage of his career.

Johnson has not requested a trade, which leaves us wondering to what end is his absence?

"I have a ton of respect for him," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said, per ESPN.com. "We'd love to have him here now. That's up to him."

With 25 teams holding OTAs on Tuesday, here are the other notable no-shows:

»
Cornerback Brandon Flowers and outside linebacker Justin Houstonwere not present for the Chiefs on Tuesday. Reported to be on the trade block, Flowers is scheduled to earn roughly $25 million over the next three seasons.

Rapoport reported that Houston hasone year left on his rookie contract at $1.4 million, and the talented pass rusher might stay away until he receives a new lucrative pact.

» Pro Bowl left guard Carl Nicks did not attend the Buccaneers' session. Dealing with nerve damage in a toe that was infected with MRSA, Nicks has vowed to be ready for training camp. Beat writers have been skeptical that he will contribute at all this season.

» San Francisco 49ers guard Alex Boone was a no-show at team OTAs on Tuesday. With two years left on his current deal, Boone reportedly is unhappy with his contract, according to the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows. Boone is scheduled to make $2 million in base pay and count $2.6 million against the salary cap.

» Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll revealed that Marshawn Lynch was absent at OTAs. Carroll was vague on when the running back would appear.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...e-johnson-headlines-noshows-for-tuesdays-otas

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Johnson could really help the Rams. It's a shame that the hurdles of cap space, and the Rams not yet proving to be a winning team would stand in the way of that happening.

V3

Hall of Fame
Even if money wasn't an issue and Johnson wanted to come here, I have my doubts that Fisher would make a move for him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the Rams wanted to make a move for Johnson, they could figure it out.

mimontero

UDFA
Johnson could really help the Rams. It's a shame that the hurdles of cap space, and the Rams not yet proving to be a winning team would stand in the way of that happening.
I love Andre Johnson and I really think we need to get a receiver but getting Johnson would be a huge mistake. At 33 years old and with his injury history (missed significant time in 2010 and 2011) plus the fact that his contract will pay him $46 million over the next three years, he is the wrong piece for a young team that's on its way up. You don't pay that kind of money to an aging vet when you are trying to build for the future. He isn't worth whatever the inflated cost to get him would be. We need to develop the guys we have, see what we have in Britt, and use this season to decide if we need to go out and get some talent next offseason when we can get someone younger and cheaper.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love Andre Johnson and I really think we need to get a receiver but getting Johnson would be a huge mistake. At 33 years old and with his injury history (missed significant time in 2010 and 2011) plus the fact that his contract will pay him $46 million over the next three years, he is the wrong piece for a young team that's on its way up. You don't pay that kind of money to an aging vet when you are trying to build for the future. He isn't worth whatever the inflated cost to get him would be. We need to develop the guys we have, see what we have in Britt, and use this season to decide if we need to go out and get some talent next offseason when we can get someone younger and cheaper.

Hard to argue with that.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

Add in the fact that he could become just as frustrated here if we don't make the playoffs in this tough division and it is almost unthinkable to make that kind of move.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Meh.... he could really help us and if there is a will there is a way. If Fisher and Snead could develop a will with Johnson then a way could be solved with Demoff I'm sure of it.
It would finally give Sam a bonifide #1 WR first time in his career

V3

Hall of Fame
Hard to argue with that.
While I do think he costs too much(completely ignoring if it would even be possible to fit under the cap), I do feel he would be a tremendous help in teaching our young WRs, act as a TRUE leader for them, and would provide the most help for Bradford in what could be a make or break year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Andre Johnson on our Rams would give us the firepower on offense to compete with any team in the league.
A playoff run would be almost a certainty. Bradford has never had a receiver of that caliber catching passes for him.

Clayton and Lloyd were nowhere near the talent AJ is. He would make Sam even better than those guys did.

Just a pipe dream though.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
If there's a way to trade for him and fit him under cap, I'm all for it! With our line and run game, it would hard to stop him, Tavon, and Cook in the play-action game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As OLD as he is... I don't know if he's worth it. Fun to dream about though.

Here's to hoping that Quick morphs into Johnson-like form.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Fun to think about but not going to happen. Rams would be the favorite to win the Div. and if they win the Div. they can win the Super Bowl. Even at his age he would make that much of a difference.

69superbowl

Rookie
The front office has to be intuitive on this. If the whiners, Seattle or Arizona are truly interested in him, I think the Rams have to snatch him up. Keep him out of the NFC West. He could really hurt twice a year. Then again, maybe he's old, injured and done - Ocho-Johnson-like. I trust this front office to do the right thing.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I do to. If hes comfortable with our receivers. Why would he?
It would certainly make his recent statement about how supposedly those who think the WRs are going to be a problem "don't know what they're talking about" look very suspect.

And if receiving ends up costing us a game this year, that statement is going to come back to haunt him big time.