And let the draft rumors begin...Bucs prefer Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I don't put much stock into these rumors. I consider walterfootball a fun site to read, I don't put much stock into their reporting however. That being said it makes sense to want Winston over Mariota. One QB resembles Luck, one QB resembles RGIII. Winston has huge talent. Has played in a pro system. Is used to going through reads. Can win in the pocket. Investigate his off the field stuff. His teammates love him and if he is a first in first out type worker, he is easily the top pick.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think it is Winston and it isn't that close.
But, I wouldn't draft Winston given his character flaws....not that high anyway.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it is Winston and it isn't that close.
But, I wouldn't draft Winston given his character flaws....not that high anyway.
I would, but I hire an investigator to dig really deep. Sometimes these off the field things are a bit overblown. He was cleared of the rape allegations. The stealing of crab legs is very concerning. The jumping on the table and yelling stuff is immature, but nothing that bothers me a great deal. Still very young.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's hoping that Mariota falls to #10 if Winston goes #1. But I highly doubt the Jets, with Chan Gailey as OC, would pass on him.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If Winston goes 1 and somehow the Titans really do think there set at QB with Mettanburger I would think the rams would be calling to see what it would take to get the Jags spot, but the jets would probably be calling too so it would be tough I wouldnt give up an RG3 type deal but I wouldnt be opposed to giving up this years first and next years first along with maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would, but I hire an investigator to dig really deep. Sometimes these off the field things are a bit overblown. He was cleared of the rape allegations. The stealing of crab legs is very concerning. The jumping on the table and yelling stuff is immature, but nothing that bothers me a great deal. Still very young.
You may be totally right.
The issues that surrounded Newton would have kept me away from him too. He has been fine in the NFL. Although his mechanics need work and he misses wide open receivers sometimes, but, by all account no character issues.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
With Smith as HC I can see Winston being the choice. The OC choice kinda confirmed it.
I still don't see Tenn. passing on Mariota. That could be a epic fail of he turns out to be best QB in draft.

With all the QB hungry teams and some need QB much more than the Rams if Mariota got to #10 You gotta think he's got flaws that the avg. fan doesn't see.

FRO

Legend
Here's hoping that Mariota falls to #10 if Winston goes #1. But I highly doubt the Jets, with Chan Gailey as OC, would pass on him.
There is a lot of time between now and draft day, but I highly doubt either falls to 10 for multiple reasons. QB position is always overvalued in the draft and after Winston and Mariota there is a huge drop off in QB talent. The Jets haven't had a quality starting QB in forever. I think they will make a play for Mariota or Winston unless both the Bucs or Titians are set on drafting a QB.

FRO

Legend
If Winston goes 1 and somehow the Titans really do think there set at QB with Mettanburger I would think the rams would be calling to see what it would take to get the Jags spot, but the jets would probably be calling too so it would be tough I wouldnt give up an RG3 type deal but I wouldnt be opposed to giving up this years first and next years first along with maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.
To move from 10 to 2 or 3 would definitely take an RGIII type haul. I'm not willing to spend that much on one player.

FRO

Legend
With Smith as HC I can see Winston being the choice. The OC choice kinda confirmed it.
I still don't see Tenn. passing on Mariota. That could be a epic fail of he turns out to be best QB in draft.

With all the QB hungry teams and some need QB much more than the Rams if Mariota got to #10 You gotta think he's got flaws that the avg. fan doesn't see.
Smith would be a great coach for Jameis and yes his OC would be a better fit with Jameis over Mariota.

wrstdude

Rookie
I don't want hijack the thread, but I find it interesting people are still trying to make a distinction between "pro-system" vs a "college system." NFL teams not utilizing aspects of the college game are quickly becoming the minority. A few teams are running, what many would classify, as purely college systems in the NFL today-PHI & MIA. NYG, GB, SEA among others are all entirely "college" or utilize many parts of college offenses.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There is an advantage for the Bucs in drafting a Florida State QB. It would at the very least be a huge short term boost to ticket sales.

Still not sure why some keep saying to "investigate" the off field stuff... there's so much smoke there that there's no way there's not some fire.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
To move from 10 to 2 or 3 would definitely take an RGIII type haul. I'm not willing to spend that much on one player.

What if it didnt? What if there willing to deal down for 2 first and say a 2nd or 3rd next year would you? I agree I wouldnt give up 3 first. You never know It seems to me that luck and RG3 were getting a lot more hype than Winston and Mariota. So maybe It wont cost as much to move up this year unless we get into a bidding war with the Jets.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't put much stock into these rumors. I consider walterfootball a fun site to read, I don't put much stock into their reporting however. That being said it makes sense to want Winston over Mariota. One QB resembles Luck, one QB resembles RGIII. Winston has huge talent. Has played in a pro system. Is used to going through reads. Can win in the pocket. Investigate his off the field stuff. His teammates love him and if he is a first in first out type worker, he is easily the top pick.

Couldn't of said it better!

Athos

Legend

If the Jets take him....

You think Geno Smith is salvageable? I mean, I'm not really a fan of his, but, maybe having the two WRs who basically got him drafted might help. Well that, and being out of the eyesore that is the NY Jets.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
If the Jets take him....

You think Geno Smith is salvageable? I mean, I'm not really a fan of his, but, maybe having the two WRs who basically got him drafted might help. Well that, and being out of the eyesore that is the NY Jets.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. Dudes got talent if he came cheap Id say pull the trigger maybe like a conditional 3rd rounder next year depending on if and how well he plays.

FRO

Legend
Why trade for Geno when you could sign Locker?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Is that because you think Mariotta is better than Winston? Or you would be happy with either?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why trade for Geno when you could sign Locker?

According to one of the guests on Cowherd, the last quarter of the season Geno Smith was the third best QB in the league. He was making progress. Because of that I don't think the Jets will be looking QB in the draft.

I have to research it a bit because maybe he played some bad teams over the last 4 games. And I don't recall if they were talking about QBR or total yards or what.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Jets take him....

Doubtful. He has been incapable thus far of learning how to throw with anticipation. Is consistently late on his throws and reads.

Is that because you think Mariotta is better than Winston? Or you would be happy with either?

I prefer Winston. But if he goes #1, Mariota is the only other option in this draft I'd like.