Analyzing the Hunter-Smith trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/p ... mith-trade

[espn]8308788[/espn]

Some quick takeaways on the Wayne Hunter-for-Jason Smith trade with the Rams:

1. This amounts to a swap of disappointments. The only difference is, Smith, 26, is five years younger than Hunter, which means he at least has a chance to get better. Both players are due guaranteed money for 2012, so a trade was the only way their respective teams could get rid of them.

2. In a span of four days, Hunter went from starting right tackle to left out. It was a bad personnel move by the Jets, re-signing him to a four-year, $14 million contract last summer, but at least GM Mike Tannenbaum had the guts to admit it. The question is, did he wait too long?

3. Basically, the Jets traded a $2.45 million backup for a $4 million backup. This makes no sense from a roster-economics standpoint -- unless they expect Smith to start at some point this season. Hunter is under contract through 2014, but Smith will almost certainly be a free agent after the season. When he restructured his contract last April, taking a massive pay cut, he put in a voidable for 2013. In other words, he'll be a goner. Unless Tannenbaum has something up his sleeve with regard to reworking the deal, a $4 million salary is too much for a one-year backup.

4. It'll be interesting to see how Smith's $4 million plays in the locker room. Just recently, the Jets forced starting LG Matt Slauson to take a $258,000 pay cut, lowering his salary to $1.1 million. RG Brandon Moore, one of the most respected players on the team, would be making less than Smith at $2.75 million. Awk-ward.

5. Hunter is a classy, hard-working guy, but he had to go. It got too nasty with the fans, evidenced by the ugly incident Sunday night by the Jets' bench. The fans were riding Hunter and he had to be restrained by teammate Vladimir Ducasse, according to a team source. Hunter will like it better in St. Louis, where he'll play for a familiar face, former Jets O.C. Brian Schottenheimer.

6. The Jets think Smith can be another Aaron Maybin -- a top draft pick who went bust with his first team and benefited from a change of scenery. Smith has physical talent; after all, he was the second overall pick in 2009. The Jets now have the second, fifth (Mark Sanchez) and 11th (Maybin) picks from the '09 draft. Too bad they can't work a deal for the 13th pick, LB Brian Orakpo.

7. The Jets said last Thursday that Hunter wouldn't be traded, so the perception is they were misleading. They wanted to keep him, a source said, but the Rams called and things changed. Of course, if they really believed in Hunter, the Jets could've said, "Thanks, but no thanks." And now I'm hearing the Jets actually called a team out west before the Rams called them.

PhxRam

Times like these are when I wish I had something else with me then a iPad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PhxRam said:
None of the iPads support flash?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
X said:
PhxRam said:

Not that I am aware of
Well that's bunk.

And now I'm going to finish the update of this stupid board software.

Going offline again in

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
.... and done.

Anonymous

X said:
PhxRam said:
X said:
PhxRam said:

Not that I am aware of
Well that's bunk.

And now I'm going to finish the update of this stupid board software.

Going offline again in

Wait don't go offline yet, there's something really important you need to know first about th

Iron Lion

Starter
I tried viewing the forums in that small window where it went dark, and when I couldn't get in I was like, "Oh noes, they banned me for being a Lions fan? :bummed: "

On a serious note, did Hunter charge the fans or something in that NYG-NYJ game? What exactly happened there?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Iron Lion said:
I tried viewing the forums in that small window where it went dark, and when I couldn't get in I was like, "Oh noes, they banned me for being a Lions fan? :bummed: "

On a serious note, did Hunter charge the fans or something in that NYG-NYJ game? What exactly happened there?

You're not a lions fan, you're an intelligent and knowledgable person who comes to discuss football and happens to be a lions fan. That's cool around here.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Awk-ward......

Speeps

Starter
JdashSTL said:
Kinda suprised he mentioned nothing about Smiths concussion history.
He probably doesn't know about it.

It sounds like Hunter was going through hell in New York. He probably just gave up. Hopefully he comes here with a chip on his shoulder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Awk-ward......
lol. Awww. Our first board romance. :sly:

Anonymous

Speeps said:
JdashSTL said:

It sounds like Hunter was going through hell in New York. He probably just gave up. Hopefully he comes here with a chip on his shoulder.

He went through hell in NY because he's not very good. If he gave up in the process of being not very good, it didn't make it any noticably worse than it already was.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Speeps said:
JdashSTL said:

He went through hell in NY because he's not very good. If he gave up in the process of being not very good, it didn't make it any noticably worse than it already was.
I wouldn't say he's not very good, because that would require looking at his entire body of work with your own eyes, and none of us have done that. I'm getting conflicting reports about that, and they're fueled by the typical fan-speak which is ripe with luscious commentary like, "He sucks." I think the more adequate word would be inconsistent. Even Ryan was struggling with starting him and subbing him, and I learned that by watching a lot of his pressers over on the Jets website last night. He's looks great, he struggled, he looked good, he had some problems. Things like that.

I'm kinda holding out hope that a reuniting with Schotty will lead to an improved attitude, and the system familiarity will at worse keep him at an inconsistent level. Maybe - just maybe - he'll improve, but the odds certainly aren't in our favor in that regard. My more pressing concern (that's right) is Barry Richardson. If he's penciled in as starter, then we should probably worry about that a little.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
This just in it was revealed by Peter King that J Smith was linked to the previous equipment manager.

Gotta say I haven't seen this much action over a trade of two crappy players in a long time.

I think the official line will come out of Rams park that Hunter just sucked less.