An 8/14 camp report by OCRamRef68...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Here's OCRamRef68...

I attended todays practice. I just wanted to give everyone an eyewitness account. I just want to preface my remarks by saying that I don't have an agenda when it comes to Goff. I just want to give you my honest assessment. This is my 7th practice including the joint practice with the Chargers. This wasn't one of Goff's better days. I feel he's s made great strides in the practices I've attended, and has done a really good job of taking care of the football and avoiding turnovers. That wasn't the case today.

The 1st pick came on a red zone 11-11 segment. Connor Barwin lined up as though he was going to rush the QB, and at the snap, ran right to the middle of the field in coverage. This took away Goff's first read. As he reset his feet, he decided to force the ball to the outside LATE. Tru jumped the route for the pick. This is a situation were he needs to run the ball or throw it away and take the three points. This is a great situation to learn from.

The second pick came on a throw in to the end zone from about 35 yards out. This one was just tough luck. He had his receiver up the seam. It was a pretty good throw but the DB made a good play and knocked it away. The ball bounced off the receiver into a teammates arms. I'm OK with that one. I think they have to take some shots down the field.

The third pick came on an out route by Kupp. It looked like the play was designed to go there. It wasn't the best route by Kupp,, but Goff needs to pull that one down and go to the next read. BTW, Mcvay pulled Kupp aside after the play and discussed the route. I'm not saying it was Kupps fault, but to be fair each shared some blame on the play.

I was standing on the rail right next to Alden Gonzales as Goff had a nice TD to Kupp. I told him to write something positive about Goff. He said "when he gives me something positive to write about" jokingly. I said "what about that one?" He laughed. Well........ he never seemed to mention that play in any of his post game notes. Just saying!

There was one other good throw by Goff down the seam for about 30 yards. The throw had nice touch over the LB and in front of the safety. So it wasn't all bad

Mannion had an up and down day. He did have some good throws including a nice throw to Everett in the end zone and a little dump off to J Davis who walked into the end zone untouched, but he also had three throws that should have been picked. 2 were dropped and I don't know how the other one was completed for a TD to Hemingway. He was double covered and the DB just missed the ball.

I really think our defense is going to be good. Mike Jordan was a beast today and Troy Hill made some nice plays. I think the Rams felt Gaines was expendable because of the play of some of our DB's. Every practice I've been to, the secondary has been buzzing. Having to go against our Defense every day, has to make our offense better. I hope!

Tavon Austin was doing some work with a trainer on the sideline. I think he's getting close to coming back.

Ebukam was also out there doing some side work, but didn't participate. He looks close to coming back as well

J Reynolds and M Thomas were both back and full go

Goff stayed after practice to work with Watkins

In closing, I wouldn't over react one way or another in regards to Goff. Everyone seems to have an agenda when it comes to their assessment of him. From what I've seen in the practices I've attended, there are some real positives that you can take from his play, but he's not at the level we need him to be at yet. I personally think he'll get there. Let's let the process take place before we pass judgment. Completing 3 of 4 passes in a preseason game doesn't make him the greatest thing since sliced bread and 3 picks in a practice doesn't mean he's a bust either. We should know by about week 6 or 7.

Sorry I couldn't remember the name of every person involved in the plays I was describing. There was a lot to digest and I wasn't writing anything down.
Thanks for your honest assessment! Go Rams!!