Amendola

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Watching Amendola tonight made me think about how the Rams have replaced him. The most obvious thought is that the Rams drafted Austin to be the slot guy and replace Amendola. Well, I think Austin is nothing like Amendola and the two might work primarily in the slot, but I think Bailey's skill set much more resembles Amendola's.

I think if the Rams had retained Amendola and they still drafted Austin I think they'd have been playing much different roles on the Rams team.

Just some random thoughts...

RFIP

It's just amazing how much trust Sam had in the guy but Brady just never has....Tom only has eyes for Edelman it seems.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree. I always thought Sted was our DA replacement - not Tavon. In fact, the more we use him on those kinds of routes, the more he is going to get banged up by bigger players. At least on running plays he has a chance to make people miss and ready himself for the hit. On those short throws and stops, he is concentrating on the ball while getting crushed. I suppose in that respect, it is JUST like Danny.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
They didn't replace Amendola with Austin, they replaced Amendola with the combination of TA and Cook. And while it is true that they don't have the same style of play, Cook has similar receiving yards numbers.

But if Amendola was still on the team, you have to remember that there is only so much room in the middle of the field. While they may not run the route the same or catch the ball the same, they serve the same purpose of challenging the linebacker or safety in hopes of a match up problem. Three targets doing that is kind of overkill.

Rams0307

I remember all the fans that said wait til you see the yards Amendola puts up with a "real QB"....couldn't have been more wrong.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Here's the truth on Austin. When we drafted him, we were planning on going on a spread type offense. Now we run a ton of TE sets and TA is a mis fit for power running scheme, which sucks. I don't see how we'll ever really justify that trade.

But hey, I love seeing Tavon on the field at any time. So yeah, I'd do it again. Lol

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember all the fans that said wait til you see the yards Amendola puts up with a "real QB"....couldn't have been more wrong.
Well, I think it's fair to wonder if Amendola didn't get hurt last season if Brady would have developed a better chemistry with him early on. Hard to say...

But I also think it's fair to show just how Sam "elevated" Amendola here while Brady can't seem to get that out of him.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Here's the truth on Austin. When we drafted him, we were planning on going on a spread type offense. Now we run a ton of TE sets and TA is a mis fit for power running scheme, which sucks. I don't see how we'll ever really justify that trade.

But hey, I love seeing Tavon on the field at any time. So yeah, I'd do it again. Lol

IF this is true, it's really short sighted by our FO.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

I agree this was their offensive thinking when they drafted him but it's not an excuse cus look at how Patterson got used on us. Tavon is a game changer and the fact that we are now SUPPOSE to be a ground and pound team should've opened up all kinds of space for Tavon with GOOD play calling. yea Schotty did a surprisingly nice job last game but he has still been completely senseless on how to use that talent. somebody please help him for God's sake!

jdhommert

Rookie

Ya...I've been wondering lately if we could flip him to say the Eagles or whoever...it just doesnt seem like we'll be able to use him right/hey may not be what he's supposed to be either

jdhommert

Rookie
Yep. Without looking of hand, Bradford got more out of him than Brady did.

Not that I'm sticking up for Bradford or anything

Big Game

Living The Dream

This is exactly right. The plan was for the Rams to be a spread offense. Didn't work as well as they thought but i do still think we can be that type of offense. You have the players to make it work. A little more upgrades to the O line and the offensive play calling itself and this team can run the "spread" offense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I don't think it has to be a problem at all, as long as they don't look at TA is merely a slot guy. He can play outside. He has ridiculous speed that can take the top off a D and even more ridiculous short area quickness that makes him difficult to press. Put him outside. Let him run. He WILL get open.

He can do a lot of different things, and it doesn't require him to be in a spread offense.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It's looking more and more like a case of someone having to get the ball on these bad Rams teams. New England brought in Amendola and wanted to slot him right into Wes Welker's role but he's simply not as good.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree. I always thought Sted was our DA replacement - not Tavon. In fact, the more we use him on those kinds of routes, the more he is going to get banged up by bigger players. At least on running plays he has a chance to make people miss and ready himself for the hit. On those short throws and stops, he is concentrating on the ball while getting crushed. I suppose in that respect, it is JUST like Danny.

He was hurt by a helmet to helmet hit while on the ground that would have twisted anyone up. Uncalled of course. Last season he had an ankle injury.

So far, I don't see any indication he is injury prone.

HOWEVER, in college, they played him to his strengths. A lot of sideline stuff where he could avoid the big hit.