Amendola Fighting For A Roster Spot?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
■ Danny Amendola may be fighting for a roster spot come March 11, the first day of the 2014 league year. Amendola signed a five-year deal worth $28.5 million ($10 million guaranteed last March), and $2 million of his $3 million base salary in 2014 becomes guaranteed if he’s on the roster at 4 p.m. on March 11. Amendola is coming off a disappointing season in which he missed four games and lost Tom Brady’s trust, and could be in danger of being cut. It would cost the Patriots $4.8 million against the cap to outright cut him, which seems unlikely given their tight cap situation, but they could designate him a post-June 1 cut, which would give him cap charges of $1.2 million in 2014 and $3.6 million in 2015. The Patriots could then use those savings to sign free agent Julian Edelman.

LINK

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Danny Amendola could be cap casualty for Patriots

• Danny Amendola's debut season with the New England Patriots was a disappointment. Will he get a chance to redeem himself in 2014?
  • The Boston Globe's Ben Volin speculated on Sundaythat the Patriots could designate the wide receiver a post-June 1 cut.

Amendola signed a five-year, $28.5 million deal last March that included $10 million in guaranteed money. $2 million of his $3 million base salary in 2014 is guaranteed if he's on the roster at 4 p.m. on March 11 -- the first day of the league year. If he's a post-June 1 release, the Pats could spread the cap charge ($1.2 million in 2014 and $3.6 million in 2015).

It's an interesting personnel call for the Patriots, who have some pressing needs and not much in the way of cap flexibility as they enter the offseason. Amendola was supposed to be the offense's replacement for Wes Welker, but he missed four games with injury and never gained the trust of Tom Brady.

Don't discount the timing of Amendola's Patriots nadir, either. In the team's AFC Championship Game loss to the Denver Broncos, Amendola was nearly invisible. He was targeted just once, dropping the only pass thrown his way.

With Julian Edelman headed toward free agency, the Patriots might have a better use for Amendola's money.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...y-amendola-could-be-cap-casualty-for-patriots

PhxRam

The guy just cant stay healthy.

I have a feeling that was his one and only decent payday.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'd love have Danny back for cheap but I don't think we have a "slot" for him anymore lol. Pun intended... :D

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Just highlights the futility of the Rams WR corps. Even the best WR that Bradford has had in his 4 years here isn't worth much to anyone.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So - now Danny was possibly the best receiver Sam ever played with - right? Now he's going to bounce around the league. Gee.... sounds hauntingly familiar. You might say that Danny owes some of his big check to Sam.:heh: Seriously though - I like Danny but I LOVE that the patsies likely thought things would be different for him in NE and that Brady would make him better. How'd that work out for you Tammi?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd re-sign him in a second on a cheap contract. He knows our offense and Sam trusts him. We could reduce his snaps to keep him healthy. Plus, he would allow Tavon to play outside instead of trying to force him into the Amendola role.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yes, it really does speak volumes for our level of talent in the not-so-distant past. :D

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Pshhh, one of our receivers that coulda stayed but went to the Pats no thanks... probably come back with a recording device embedded in his body. :yousure: :cray:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pshhh, one of our receivers that coulda stayed but went to the Pats no thanks... probably come back with a recording device embedded in his body. :yousure: :cray:

Hahaha!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd re-sign him in a second on a cheap contract. He knows our offense and Sam trusts him. We could reduce his snaps to keep him healthy. Plus, he would allow Tavon to play outside instead of trying to force him into the Amendola role.

Interesting thought.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought he was supposed to support the "elevation" theory once he went over there.

McztKy6.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he was supposed to support the "elevation" theory once he went over there.

McztKy6.png

Tom Brady just had better WRs to throw to so he didn't waste time throwing to Amendola. Considering he was our #1 WR, he should have had double what he did as Brady's #3 WR.
Sincerely,
The I Hate Sam Fan Club

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wonder if they'd trade him for a 7th round pick? He would be a decent number 6 receiver.

Not with that contract.......and all he would do is take reps away from guys who need to be developed. Until he got hurt then he wouldn't take res away lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think they are desperate for cash to sign Edleman.

EDIT: Oops. Ha! Yeah, pretty much stole that thought from the OP.

A55VA6

Legend
lol Amendola is overrated and injury prone. I wouldn't bring the guy back for the minimum, honestly.