Alterraun Verner a good fit for defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
Assuming the Titans let him walk, he might be a pretty good fit with this team for a number of reasons. Greg Williams was just the defensive coordinator there, so if he likes Verner then it only increases the odds we take him since he knows his defense and how Williams likes playing defense. He's 25 years old, so he's not old at all, if anything he's young. Might be expensive... Yea I'm not sure how we are going to pull that off, if anyone has a better idea of our cap please share it.

Not sure what to make of our CB situation, Jenkins was a bit of a disappointment this year. Trumaine Johnson didn't seem bad to me, but honestly I didn't pay too much attention to him. I hope Jenkins can take it to the next level next year, it ain't easy being the man having to cover the #1 WR of opposing teams.

Maybe Verner could play safety for us?

Thoughts?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I rather sign him vs. Saffold For what it's worth

Still worry about duribility issues w/ Saffold. He averages 1/2 seasons at best. No worth the $ though his talent

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think it's a viable option if Cortland Finnegan is let go. It may be the best FA move to make as far as the Rams are concerned.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure the Rams can afford this type of free agent anymore. They'll need some dough to sign their own in the coming years.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not sure the Rams can afford this type of free agent anymore. They'll need some dough to sign their own in the coming years.

Yeah, just can't do it.

1 stud interior OL'man is good enough for me. Even that may be asking too much. It's what happens when you give a guy like Finnegan the big bucks only to have it blow up in your face. Finnegan hasn't been cut, either.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If we can't keep Saffold, Verner would be great for us. Knows the system, can help the other guys out, and is a stud.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
You make an excellent point about which stage the Rams should be at.
Ie: very little signing big contracts and more focused on resigning our own players.

But if the Rams where going to sign Saffold to 6m/year I would be against that signing. Preferring to use that money elsewhere. Simply do too Saffold injury history.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I think they make it happen. Gregg Williams specifically mentioned him in the press conference. Basically titans' brass weren't even sure that he'd make the team prior to the season, he said. He believed and the kid excelled with coaching. That is my summary

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Said everyone last year when we were courting Cook and Long. I bet we sign two upper level FAs this season just like last season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jason McCourty trying to sell Pollard and Verner on staying with Titans
Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2014

We’re a little bit more than a week away from the start of free agency, which means that there’s a lot for pending free agents, their agents and front offices to do in the coming days.

Titans cornerback Jason McCourty doesn’t fall into any of those groups, but he’s also going to be busy. McCourty has taken on the job of lobbying cornerback Alterraun Verner and safetyBernard Pollard to return to the team rather than head elsewhere as free agents.

“I talk to those guys all the time, and I’m still trying to sell them and recruit them to make sure they’re both back,” McCourty said on 104.5 FM, via the Tennessean. “You know the way this is and the way free-agency works. Both guys will probably have an opportunity to see what the market is and what their value is outside of it. But I hope they’re both here. I’ve played four years with [Verner], and we’ve built a really close relationship. It would be tough to see him go.

The Titans aren’t expected to tag Verner before Monday’s deadline, which means that McCourty is likely correct about him seeing what the open market holds. Coming off a Pro Bowl season, that market should be strong and all the lobbying in the world from McCourty probably isn’t going to get Verner back if other teams think he’s worth a premium price.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Assuming the Titans let him walk, he might be a pretty good fit with this team for a number of reasons. Greg Williams was just the defensive coordinator there, so if he likes Verner then it only increases the odds we take him since he knows his defense and how Williams likes playing defense. He's 25 years old, so he's not old at all, if anything he's young. Might be expensive... Yea I'm not sure how we are going to pull that off, if anyone has a better idea of our cap please share it.

Not sure what to make of our CB situation, Jenkins was a bit of a disappointment this year. Trumaine Johnson didn't seem bad to me, but honestly I didn't pay too much attention to him. I hope Jenkins can take it to the next level next year, it ain't easy being the man having to cover the #1 WR of opposing teams.

Maybe Verner could play safety for us?

Thoughts?

Janoris Jenkins wasn't a disappointment. He was overhyped going into last year b/c of his 4 defensive turnovers. He's still a developing young CB. But if he doesn't get better this year, then it's gonna be a a wobbly situiation.

Tru was the best CB last year.

Honestly I expect them to get 1 big FA signing, even tho I don't want them too. Alterraun Verner does seem like the best fit. I don't care about the cap...it's $ on 1 player and 1 player never solves everything.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I really think JJ was schemed out of his game last year. I will be interested to see how he does with GW. I still think we need at least one more good CB and a FS type. Not sure I want to see us throw Finn type money at someone but that is what Fish/Snead/KD get paid to decide. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Although I'd love to have Verner, I think the best option would be to get Finnegan back at a reduced rate and draft one of the big tall CBs.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I really think JJ was schemed out of his game last year.
This x 1000!

If we think back to the 2012 draft, we'll remember than JJ was projected as a potential shutdown corner because of his outstanding MAN COVERAGE ability. All these crappy soft defensive schemes from last year completely neutralised his skills. Put him back on one-on-one coverage duties, and we'll soon see those elite abilities return.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
This x 1000!

If we think back to the 2012 draft, we'll remember than JJ was projected as a potential shutdown corner because of his outstanding MAN COVERAGE ability. All these crappy soft defensive schemes from last year completely neutralised his skills. Put him back on one-on-one coverage duties, and we'll soon see those elite abilities return.
It makes me wonder if this was because of the lack of safety help.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It makes me wonder if this was because of the lack of safety help.
I think there may be something to that as well but it sure didn't look like a lot of that soft defense was compensating for the safeties. I was looking for that and really didn't see it being the case.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My thoughts on JJ, we are going to have to live with his peeking into the backfield, and getting beat on double moves, too often for my taste, as long as he is the starter. I'd rather put him at the nickel, but his size could hurt us when teams go big in the slot. He would compete though, no matter what, and I'd rather him in with eyes on the receiver than eyes in the backfield.