Alternative TV Services

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Playmaker

I am seriously considering dropping DirecTV as my bill has become regularly north of $100 a month. When I originally became a subscriber in 2003 I paid $29 a month for two receivers I, like most DirecTV subscribers, chose the service just for the NFL Sunday Ticket. Through the years it has gotten out of hand to where in 2011 it was over $300 for the package. This past year they dropped it back down to $149.

The only thing that has kept me from dropping DirecTV and going with Netflix is the fact that you can not get live sports with them. And I am a big sports fan.

So I guess I have two questions.

#1. If you subscribe to Netflix and/or HULU, how do you like it? And if it is your only source of watching tv, how does it stack up against having cable/satellite?

and

#2. What on-line streaming sites are good to watch live sports?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Isn't DirecTV dropping the Sunday Ticket?

I'm getting rid of them too this year. I already bought an antenna (long-range) and am going to attach it to that stupid dish they put on the side of my house. The antenna will get me TRUE HD on about 40 channels (local), and I already have Netflix for whenever I feel like watching movies or tv - which isn't very often.

Streaming is an art-form. You have to find the right sites is all. I've watched multiple seasons of great cable shows for free on streaming sites. This one, for example. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/</a> -- You just need a decent pop-up blocker, and know to never click on anything other than the "X" button on whatever gets through. You also have to try a few different links for the same show in order to get one that streams fast. A minor inconvenience, really. Just got done watching 2 seasons of Bar Rescue.

I get NFL Rewind for the games. It's a bit of an inconvenience to not be able to watch them live anymore, but what're you gonna do? Firstrowsports.eu *always* has Rams games live (and NFL Network), but the quality is really shitty and it's kind of a dangerous site if your computer isn't fully protected.

Other than that... I dunno. I guess you just get used to less TV.
I think at some point I might not have it at all.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I believe you can get NFL Sunday Ticket on the PS3 (if you have one), but I'm not sure how it works... I don't believe other sports are offered either. I have friends who use Netflix and they love it, I haven't used it though. Usually if you call your service provider and threaten leaving you can get them to lower the price, most are willing to do it because they don't want to lose your service. Especially if there are other options there.