All this talk about hiring Martz?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
If Fisher does not get this team right, go after Bob Stoops and hire Sams offensive coordinator from his heisman trophy season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Martz has done nothing but upgrade every offense he has had his hands on. People like to say that he gets fired everyehere he goes, but like thor said, those were usually desperate HCs that probably didn't like the fact that their OC was twice as intelligent as them. As I recall, Kitna threw for like 4000 yds with Martz as his OC. JOHN FUCKING KITNA. Yes, they still lost a bunch of games, but it wasn't due to shitty offense. Pretty sure he got Sean Hill playing some good football as well. Seriously, this is fun and everything, but we all know it would never happen. I would be in favor of him returning in some capacity though, if at all possible. Sadly, it isn't.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
iced said:
LesBaker said:
When I see posts about hiring Martz I giggle. Bradford couldn't handle that shyte it's not his skill set.

He would poop his pants by halftime. Only Warner could QB that.

how do you figure?

bradford's supposed strong suit is the spread offense - sounds like a logical fit for martz

Those two things are not the same thing at all.

The reasons Bradford couldn't run Martz' O are plenty.

First we don't even know how good he is at reading defenses and that's a big part of why he struggled in McDaniels O he wasn't making the right line calls plus in college he only "read" half the field per play from a report I read.

Then there is his accuracy.....it would be a real problem in that type of precise route/timing O, he be an INT machine LOL. Especially on the 12-25 yard stuff.

And durability.....I'm not sure Bradford could take the hits after releasing though in today's NFL that would be less of a problem than it was from 99-01 when Warner was getting hit just after the release all game long.

Bradford is a different type of QB. MaxQ is not his game.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I Even contest the "Martz can't" meme especially when it's said by people who advance the idea Spags will do well in his next HC job
Belicek and Carrol are people fired and got another shot and are doing well. Saying "Martz can't " may as well be finished with "learn"which I discount

If I had the option to hire THE guy who beat me in my one SB appearance and I passed because I was of the belief I couldn't blend his personality into a staff, I'd be questioning my own motives and abilities.
Now DOES Fisher hate MM? Mike was know to return disrespect so could be some history dunno, The worst Martz ever did looks good now and it was by most accounts here with guys past prime and a roster depleted by a lack of skills we wouldn't even want from him.
Martz could teach Sam as much in one offseason as the rest of his Ocs have taught him combined.

The Rams utilized the greatest secret of failure,"find the most. Competent man and fire him" we have been giddy three times when we approached his WORST IMO Stan Kroenke needs to channel his inner Stienbrenned( that ones fer u Selassie

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
iced said:
LesBaker said:
When I see posts about hiring Martz I giggle. Bradford couldn't handle that shyte it's not his skill set.

how do you figure?

bradford's supposed strong suit is the spread offense - sounds like a logical fit for martz

First we don't even know how good he is at reading defenses and that's a big part of why he struggled in McDaniels O he wasn't making the right line calls plus in college he only "read" half the field per play from a report I read.

Then there is his accuracy.....it would be a real problem in that type of precise route/timing O, he be an INT machine LOL. Especially on the 12-25 yard stuff.

And durability.....I'm not sure Bradford could take the hits after releasing though in today's NFL that would be less of a problem than it was from 99-01 when Warner was getting hit just after the release all game long.

Les you need to read up on Martz offense he developed it for a QB who was almost blind,the reason Warner was benched was FOR reading defenses and worrying about ints So I don't think Sam can't run an offense John Kitna can run, just sayin

iced

Thordaddy said:
LesBaker said:
iced said:
LesBaker said:

how do you figure?

Les you need to read up on Martz offense he developed it for a QB who was almost blind,the reason Warner was benched was FOR reading defenses and worrying about ints So I don't think Sam can't run an offense John Kitna can run, just sayin

exactly....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thordaddy said:
LesBaker said:
iced said:
LesBaker said:

how do you figure?

Well maybe I should have been clearer, Bradford could play in that system of course, he is smart enough to grasp it. But he is a crappy fit for it.

Kitna had a couple of good years as far as yardage but he was throwing it 600 times a year and had more INT's than TD's. So the idea that Martz turned Kitna into a really excellent QB which is an argument I've heard before, is simply untrue. Also Kitna got the shit beaten out of him in the pocket.

Like I said Bradford is not a MaxQ type of QB. I've seen a small number of guys that I think could operate successfully in that system. It's not as easy as plug in a QB and let Martz dial up the plays. You have to have a pretty rare skill set to do it well, otherwise all you end up with is a QB that chucks it a ton, gets beat up, throws a lot of INT's but is always throwing for big yards.

What do you mean a QB that was almost blind?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LesBaker said:

He definitely can. He's gotten the crap beaten out of his this year doing that.

fearsomefour

Legend
The missing piece of the equation in all of this Martz talk and QBs are the receivers.
A true timing offense like Martzs' passing game requires QB and WR to be on the same page in terms of making reads and also in terms of timing. I remember reading a thing with Warner where he said if Bruce ran a route that was 12 yards and out he knew he could trust him to be 12 yards....not 10 and a half not 13. Holt said if ran a route where he was to turn and look for the ball the ball would on the way before he made his break and was on time. This is not unusual for NFL passing games. GSOT took it to an amazing level when it was clicking. However it is pretty hard to have that kind of timing (accuracy) when the QB cant trust the receivers and vice versa. I think this is a contributing factor (along with scheme and pressure) to the kind of passes that are being completed. The kind of passes where Bradfords back foot hits the ground at the end of his drop and the ball is out to a cutting receiver 10-15 yards down field just isent there at this point. This is hindering the passing game as much as anything....this is also why I think Pettis is still on the field so much....Bradford is missing Amendola for sure.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Trent Green. and MArc Bulged were twigs compared to Sam

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Bulger a twig ? That's being kind...

image-1.jpg

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
Bulger a twig ? That's being kind...

image-1.jpg
That's me kind to a fault

In the end though the various arguments against Martz hold very little water

If you add his scoring to this teams talent offensively and ability to pass rush you have Coryells Chargers

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
EastRam said:
First me doesn't think Fisher is going anywhere anytime soon. He will get all five seasons.

Now for Martz.

Martzs greatest success came with DV due to DV being a stubborn strong HC. Just like Fisher.

Martz cannot be successful as the man in charge. Thats not his skill set. Martz best run from 99 to 01 was due to DV and the strong front office that DV built. And yes the players. Once the strong HC (DV) left the worm started to turn very very slowly. Martz was able to keep it going with what DV built in 01 by hiring Lovie. After Lovie left and the front office begin its stupid power grabbing shyte the worm started to flip.

With Martz in Det, San Fran and da Bears. None of those teams has strong HC's and all three Retooled their front office when moving on from Martz.

My point being is Martz is at his best "with" a strong HC and front office in place. Martz as HC? no way. Martz as OC with Fisher in charge would be a great team.

History shows as much.
I tend to agree with you on your entire post.

BobCarl

Rookie
LesBaker said:
BobCarl said:
LesBaker said:
Only Warner
Thank you Mr. Carpé Diem ... Yawn.

Whatever, my point is correct.
You always are correct ...like a few weeks ago when you claim that Al Davis didn't want to trade to pick Donnie Avery in 2008 ... yet a reliable source in the Raiders War room during the draft said otherwise.

"Warner is the answer,Warner is the Answer ... Warner is the answer."

that was a decade ago ... lets move on

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BobCarl said:
LesBaker said:
BobCarl said:
LesBaker said:
Only Warner
Thank you Mr. Carpé Diem ... Yawn.

Whatever, my point is correct.
You always are correct ...like a few weeks ago when you claim that Al Davis didn't want to trade to pick Donnie Avery in 2008 ... yet a reliable source in the Raiders War room during the draft said otherwise.

"Warner is the answer,Warner is the Answer ... Warner is the answer."

that was a decade ago ... lets move on
If it's about the poster, refrain from posting it.

BobCarl

Rookie
Rabid Ram said:
BobCarl said:
X said:
why is it ok for him to do it on other threads?
If you have an issue with what the owner has to say please pm him and take it private

and why wasn't your message in private? I didn't know that Les Baker was the owner of the board ... my bad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BobCarl said:
Rabid Ram said:
BobCarl said:
X said:
why is it ok for him to do it on other threads?
If you have an issue with what the owner has to say please pm him and take it private

and why wasn't your message in private? I didn't know that Les Baker was the owner of the board ... my bad.
How about this? Everybody stop playing moderator and just concentrate on posting about football.

Mkay?

Thanks.