All this talk about hiring Martz?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rabid Ram said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
I guess Martz = gun control on a football board
Huh?
Everytime it's brought up it a big debate with no middle ground
Hmm. I'm not getting that vibe. Seems pretty civil to me. :idk:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Lesson said:
IMO, if the FO didn't hate Martz nor draft poorly, he'd still be in St. Louis. Martz with a competent personnel guy(Charlie Armey) was alright. But with Zygmunt and Shaw, shit went down hill.
Yeah, but we need more than alright right now. When you have the Greatest Show on Turf alright is passable, but right now alright would have us right about where we were before things started falling apart. A run of a mill team that was nothing special and couldn't really take that next big step.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Martz let hubris affect him but I'd still like to see him running a team his way. With the owner, GM and scouting dept. the Rams now have in place I'd certainly be optimistic of his chances if he was made the HC.

I think he was given too much, too soon in 2000 but I also think he's been humbled. Ironically, he followed the same path Warner took and accepted jobs that weren't really suited to him just so he could keep working. I think he might have learned a thing or two along the way.

If he ever gets a 2nd chance at HC I think he'll be much more prepared and effective. I'd love it to be for the Rams. I don't know if he could fix Bradford but I'd love to give him a try. I'd certainly love for Bradford to get some really good coaching and play for a an offense-minded coach for once.

fearsomefour

Legend
Martz was great at a couple of things....developing QBs for one. He had Trent Green (7th rounder), Warner (undrafted), Bulger (7th round....I think) and some journeyment like Hill and Kitna. He makes QBs succeed. The rub is they have to succeed his way. I love Martz and I believe the Rams have exactly zero rings without him....but there is zero chance he comes back.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
fearsomefour said:
Martz was great at a couple of things....developing QBs for one. He had Trent Green (7th rounder), Warner (undrafted), Bulger (7th round....I think) and some journeyment like Hill and Kitna. He makes QBs succeed. The rub is they have to succeed his way. I love Martz and I believe the Rams have exactly zero rings without him....but there is zero chance he comes back.
They also have exactly zero rings without Giunta, Vermeil or the equipment manager.

We should just get the whole team back together. :lmao:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Martz should be our OC and the Fisher should give him free reign like Stan gave him. Yes, I would love that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I'd rather some fresh young blood.
Like Chip Kelly? I wonder if that offense is going to catch on.
Who are some of the other hot prospects in the college ranks who wouldn't mind starting as OC?

moklerman

Warner-phile
I still say Martz would be the best bet. Add the fact that Schottehneimer has installed a Coryell based offense and the transition to Martz would be relatively smooth in that regard.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While I would love to have Martz just for the entertainment value alone it won't ever happen.
Would Martz even want to come here?
The players are wrong for it. If someone wants to fire up the DeLorean and bring back Pace , Warner, Bruce, Faulk, Holt etc. then okay I'm in.

Without those players he was just a avg. OC.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Maybe we could bring Martz back as a QB coach and let him work with Sam to get his confidence back and to get him slinging the ball more than 12 yrds at a pop.

BobCarl

Rookie
brokeu91 said:
Martz could come up with ways to use the weapons that we have (Cook, Austin).

I like the direction you are taking with your entire post ... I think that will have Martz needing more than what the Rams are able to give him.

However, Martz, as a consultant, and keep him in a box, telling him that he can only make suggestions with with the players and personnel packages already in place, then let him make a few recommendations.

We all know Martz ... he will want to re-arrange the personnel packages ... bench certain players ... acquire others ... use his plays that the players have never practiced yet ... etc, etc

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is Martz even working?
I'd be all in for hiring Martz as a QB coach/adviser for Bradford. Sam needs some serious coaching up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Rabid Ram said:
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
I guess Martz = gun control on a football board
Huh?
Everytime it's brought up it a big debate with no middle ground
Hmm. I'm not getting that vibe. Seems pretty civil to me. :idk:
I think so so as well. Just trying to dichipher the meaning as well.
At the moment it is, my point was JUST the mention of the name starts debate over crystallized positions.

When spitballing and face it that's all we do cuz no team is coming to us for advice, it's my belief that with these players Martz could have very similar success to the GSOT

Evaluating Martz based on what happened other places is completely unfair he has always ,always been called in by desperate coaches trying to save their job or GMs saving them.
OK so the GM and Hc was too much for him, he has said so,but since Asshole Face isn't available to figure out go to use these people IMO the. Next best option is the mad one.

As for how he and Fisher would interact and comparing him to BW Williams was not dealing with true peers I think he was regarded as a know it all kid.
Saying Martz and Fisher can't work together is as much a critique of Fisher as it is Martz

EastRam

Pro Bowler
First me doesn't think Fisher is going anywhere anytime soon. He will get all five seasons.

Now for Martz.

Martzs greatest success came with DV due to DV being a stubborn strong HC. Just like Fisher.

Martz cannot be successful as the man in charge. Thats not his skill set. Martz best run from 99 to 01 was due to DV and the strong front office that DV built. And yes the players. Once the strong HC (DV) left the worm started to turn very very slowly. Martz was able to keep it going with what DV built in 01 by hiring Lovie. After Lovie left and the front office begin its stupid power grabbing shyte the worm started to flip.

With Martz in Det, San Fran and da Bears. None of those teams has strong HC's and all three Retooled their front office when moving on from Martz.

My point being is Martz is at his best "with" a strong HC and front office in place. Martz as HC? no way. Martz as OC with Fisher in charge would be a great team.

History shows as much.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
EastRam said:
First me doesn't think Fisher is going anywhere anytime soon. He will get all five seasons.

Now for Martz.

Martzs greatest success came with DV due to DV being a stubborn strong HC. Just like Fisher.

Martz cannot be successful as the man in charge. Thats not his skill set. Martz best run from 99 to 01 was due to DV and the strong front office that DV built. And yes the players. Once the strong HC (DV) left the worm started to turn very very slowly. Martz was able to keep it going with what DV built in 01 by hiring Lovie. After Lovie left and the front office begin its stupid power grabbing shyte the worm started to flip.

With Martz in Det, San Fran and da Bears. None of those teams has strong HC's and all three Retooled their front office when moving on from Martz.

My point being is Martz is at his best "with" a strong HC and front office in place. Martz as HC? no way. Martz as OC with Fisher in charge would be a great team.

History shows as much.
That was one of the points I was trying to make with an earlier post I wrote in this thread.

I think Martz with Fisher pulling each other would be very effective. Martz would want to open it up 100% but Fisher would dial him back a bit. The result would be a much more attacking offense with more balance than we saw when Martz was HC.