All of Pettis' catches last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Phenomenal hands. Looks like he could learn how to avoid contact, or at least not flop around after a catch. Route running looks good, but he's nowhere near as physical as Salas. I still have no idea how he'll fit into this offense when he gets back from suspension, but if you want someone to come down with a contestable ball, he's your guy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NyU9Vth_4[/youtube]
hd.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The thing I like about Pettis is his excellent body control. He's able to contort his body and give the quarterback a sizeable target to throw to - and with his exceptional hands, he'll likely catch the ball more often than not. Other than Quick and DX, nobody else on this team has the height and hands to do that. The thing that Pettis can do that DX can't is special teams. It's not just returning punts (which he is okay at; he isn't great, but he's pretty darn good for someone who had never been a returner at any level prior to this one); he's fearless and willing to hit someone.

Like you said, he needs to improve his elusiveness in the open field, and he needs to stay upright on some of those catches. His game, while similar to Salas and Amendola in some aspects, is quite different from theirs. He can play special teams, though, which immediately sets him apart from everyone else on the bubble.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I honestly think he compares pretty well to Gibson. He's got a size advantage which is good, and he seems to have a better eye for where the chains are. That's not an attempted swipe at Gibson, I really like his tenacity in fighting for an extra couple yards, it just gets the better of him usually.
Pettis looks like he has a second gear, it just takes him a bit longer to get there than others. And IMO he can make the first guy miss in the open field, he's got a good initial move with the ball in his hand; when there's no one to stretch the field though, the secondary was sandwiching receivers pretty much non-stop though.
Pretty sure he'll take Gibson's spot, he can play on the outside and he's not afraid to play the middle of the field and take a drubbing which is a good trait. Hopefully the likes of Quick, Givens and Smith will open up a bit of real-estate for guys like Pettis, Salas and Amendola.

Anonymous

He is just a completely different guy from Salas. He goes out of bounds, he goes down, he gets crumpled on hits.

This is what I see fwiw. His game is 2 things. First, he has that windmill radius combined with great hands. He makes the tough catch when covered or surrounded, and he snags them from anywhere near him--high, wide, low. There's a little bit of Lloyd in him when it comes to that. Second, he catches in traffic and in tight quarters and then hangs on when the hit immediately follows. Very tough. A characteristic Pettis thing is this--you see him catch a tough one under the defense, go down with defenders banging on him, and then holds the ball up after the play to show he had it. But it's not just the toughness--he can snag it with guys right there.

I don't know how high the ceiling is on those qualities. Is he a top receiver who will make a mark playing that way at a high level? Or is he a good 3rd or 4th guy you want in your rotation, especially on 3rd down?

But he has very good qualities, just very different ones from the other receivers we're watching.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I'd like to see him stay on his feet after the catch a bit more. I realize catching the ball when it comes to you is job #1 and after all the drops we saw last year it is hard to criticize someone for making sure they catch the ball first, but I'd like to see at least a little YAC from him.

BTW... I realize it might be bit of a downer but I was wondering if you could somehow show all the dropped balls from last year. I'd kind of like to revisit the situations and how the drops happened. Y'know... in your spare time. :sly:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
These player videos are just awesome! Thanks for posting.

Fantatastic for taking the time to put this together!! Thank

He's not Greg Salas. He's not Gibby or DX. Pettis is his own type of player.
He's like a quicker/compact DX with better hands. imo
Pettis has got Larry Fitzgerald type hands and BLloyd type body control. imo
No, i'm not joking. I thought he had the best hands in colleg football(w/AJGreen) when he came out.
I was thrilled to get a tough, over-the-middle SOB with great hands for our 3rd down

Pettis had one of the quickest Combine's short shuttle in years. iirc
..and it flashed in his route running. Speaking of the route running...
anyone notice how short the routes were?? Crazy, 3-5yd underneath drags!!
Only one deep ball (amazing catch) from the 20+ catches he had in the vids.

I think the kid can MURDER the seam route or the skinny post...I think Pettis has the sneaky speed to do it.
It's all about timing, opportunity, football politics, etc...but Pettis looked like he knew how to get open to me.

It'll be interesting to see more of these guys in pre-season, but great hands & fearlessness across the middle are great assets to have.
And we have 4 tough, over the middle, SOB Wrs in Pettis, Salas, Amendola...maybe Steve Smith too.

Thanks SO much, Paul for taking the time to do this....
I'm a real fan of Pettis and it was good to get a refresher for him...
and Salas!!
Now, if only we had Kendricks...;)
LOL (just joking)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - I'd like to see him stay on his feet after the catch a bit more. I realize catching the ball when it comes to you is job #1 and after all the drops we saw last year it is hard to criticize someone for making sure they catch the ball first, but I'd like to see at least a little YAC from him.

BTW... I realize it might be bit of a downer but I was wondering if you could somehow show all the dropped balls from last year. I'd kind of like to revisit the situations and how the drops happened. Y'know... in your spare time. :sly:
That's going to take a VERY long time, but I'm still going to do it. As I was making these three videos (Kendricks coming up), I saw a TON of missed opportunities on deep patterns. Both drops and overthrows due to timing issues on both parts. I also cataloged (in my mind) how many times the Rams backed themselves out of the redzone due to penalties. It was insanity.

But yeah, I'll start with the drops. It'll be available by the end of the week I think.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Fantatastic for taking the time to put this together!! T

SunTzu.v.Camus said:
LOL (just joking)
You were saying? :p

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Great work X!

Watching that video made me :omg: :ohno: :nerp: at our offensive line. Just horrible.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:

That's going to take a VERY long time, but I'm still going to do it. As I was making these three videos (Kendricks coming up), I saw a TON of missed opportunities on deep patterns. Both drops and overthrows due to timing issues on both parts. I also cataloged (in my mind) how many times the Rams backed themselves out of the redzone due to penalties. It was insanity.

But yeah, I'll start with the drops. It'll be available by the end of the week I think.

Cool - thanks. These videos are ultra cool bye the way.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I want to see what a full off season does for him. He was a rookie and looked like it.
I will never doubt his toughness after those hits he took while attempting punt returns. He's best at working in the box up to 10 yards from the los. He can also own the 5 yd outs. He doesn't have a 2nd gear and is slow to accelerate. He's a chain mover and could help in the red zone at best. Pos. wr is what his upside is and that's just fine.
From what I've seen I like him much more than Gibson if for nothing else than his hands. This is his make or break year.

X said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:
LOL (just joking)

Ar you man?...or machine?! LOL
Fantastic stuff!! Beyond thanks!

btw
Did you know next year the NFL will offer "Coaches Tape" view of the games
for the Sunday Ticket??? I think it's $60 extra, but it will really help folks know better what really
happened on any particular play by seeing the whole field. Pretty cool stuff!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

SunTzu.v.Camus said:
X said:
SunTzu.v.Camus said:
LOL (just joking)

Ar you man?...or machine?! LOL
Fantastic stuff!! Beyond thanks!

btw
Did you know next year the NFL will offer "Coaches Tape" view of the games
for the Sunday Ticket??? I think it's $60 extra, but it will really help folks know better what really
happened on any particular play by seeing the whole field. Pretty cool stuff!
Already bought it. So ... like I said ... GET OUTTA MY HEAD.