All Big Plays Allowed by Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I made this over the weekend, every big (run play over 10 yards, pass play over 25 yards) allowed by our D, can't be bothered to start a new thread so I'll post it here.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Watching the corners play 10 yards off the line is nauseating.

V3

Hall of Fame
I made this over the weekend, every big (run play over 10 yards, pass play over 25 yards) allowed by our D, can't be bothered to start a new thread so I'll post it here.

Great video. Perfect way to see not just 23 but the rest of the DBs as well.

McLeod didn't look too bad with regards to his tackling but his recognition/instincts/anticipation and angles really need some improvement. He over-pursues at times, as well. He still looks like a solid backup to me. Not a starter. JMHO, though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it deserves a new thread. ;)

Lotta different ways to put your own offense behind the 8-ball in there.

jjab360

Legend
I don't know about you guys but I was really impressed by Mcleod's speed to the ball and open field tackling. He took a few bad angles, but he kept a whole lot of big plays from being big TD plays. I think he catches a little too much criticism because he wasn't drafted high, unlike pretty much everyone else on our defense right now. I'm interested to see what he looks like with another year of experience under his belt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's worth noting that over the last 5 games (when Fisher reportedly started calling plays on D) we were 4th best for big plays allowed.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Awesome @Rams and Gators thanks for taking the time to do this. As mentioned above, I think a little press coverage wouldve eliminated a lot of the big pass plays. Cant wait to see what Greg Williams has in store

BeerOClock

Rookie
Only ten minutes into the tape--I can't believe how ridiculously bad the Rams linebackers are. Absolutely horrible.

Witherspoon has no business being on the field--the worst of the bunch. Ogletree is absolutely awful. Anyone who thinks Ray Ray Armstrong has the capability of being a starter in the NFL needs to watch this tape--terrible. Laurinaitis, almost as bad as the others--major disappointment.

Like I said, I'm only ten minutes into the tape. Based on what I've watched so far, my guess is the Rams defense got better because:
1) Jo Lon Dunbar came back.
2) Ogletree and Armstrong--gaining some NFL game experience, started playing better.
3) Fisher got much more involved because Walton doesn't have a clue.

Just an educated guess. It'll be more educated after I watch the whole thing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Watching the corners play 10 yards off the line is nauseating.

What's more nauseating is having 8-10 players in the box and the RB still getting 10+ yards. That's horrible execution.

Angry Ram

Awesome @Rams and Gators thanks for taking the time to do this. As mentioned above, I think a little press coverage wouldve eliminated a lot of the big pass plays. Cant wait to see what Greg Williams has in store

They played press a lot, and they still got burned. Either that or the RB got a 10+ gain.

jjab360

Legend
Only ten minutes into the tape--I can't believe how ridiculously bad the Rams linebackers are. Absolutely horrible.

Witherspoon has no business being on the field--the worst of the bunch. Ogletree is absolutely awful. Anyone who thinks Ray Ray Armstrong has the capability of being a starter in the NFL needs to watch this tape--terrible. Laurinaitis, almost as bad as the others--major disappointment.

Like I said, I'm only ten minutes into the tape. Based on what I've watched so far, my guess is the Rams defense got better because:
2) Ogletree and Armstrong--gaining some NFL game experience, started playing better.

Ray Ray Armstrong only played 21 snaps on defense last year, and I don't think was even in any of the plays on that video. Maybe you're thinking of Will Witherspoon?

BeerOClock

Rookie
Fifteen minutes into the tape and Olgetree has gotten even worse (I didn't think that was possible).

Dunbar now on the field--let's see how he does.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They played press a lot, and they still got burned. Either that or the RB got a 10+ gain.
We played too far off the receiver far too often for my liking. I think giving the WR a free release so often contributed to a lot of the big plays.

BeerOClock

Rookie
Ray Ray Armstrong only played 21 snaps on defense last year, and I don't think was even in any of the plays on that video. Maybe you're thinking of Will Witherspoon?

Yes he was. Number #50. Only two plays that I saw in the first 10 minutes, but both he look completely out of his element.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I dont like to tell people their opinions are wrong often but...

Ogletree is not absolutely awful
Ray Ray has barely gotten any playing time so unless you have some insider information on him you have absolutely no grounds to say he isnt capable of being a starter.

You realize youre watching a video of the worst plays of the year right? Essentially the opposite of a highlight tape. Making conclusions based on a video like this is just as naive as coming to conclusions based on only highlights.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
A great video to examine our weaknesses from last year. Here's what I saw.
1. Finnigan absolutely sucked in coverage but I suspect Joyner will be much more effective.
2. Terrible angles taken by our DBs and inability to get off of blocks.
3. Defensive ends did not play the run first and, as a result, failed to secure the edge.
4. Poor tackling. This is a big problem across the whole NFL where players just throw themselves at the runner and don't wrap up.

Every NFL team has issues like these to address. I noticed that it was 90% mental rather than physical mistakes. Devoting some time to the fundamentals would probably serve this squad well.

One last thing... #%$@ Demarco Murray!

jjab360

Legend
Yes he was. Number #50. Only two plays that I saw in the first 10 minutes, but both he look completely out of his element.
You're not really judging a player off only two plays are you? A rookie player transitioning from another position coming into the game cold off the bench at that..

You also have to keep in mind that these were the worst plays of our defense last season, so of course they're going to look bad. Nothing to overreact to, though.

Angry Ram

We played too far off the receiver far too often for my liking. I think giving the WR a free release so often contributed to a lot of the big plays.

I'm not disagreeing, but even in press they still burnt the CBs. When they were off (like against teh Cards and 49ers) it's not like they were burned from the get go. The receiver ran right past them. Granted, most of it was on Cortland Finnegan.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not disagreeing, but even in press they still burnt the CBs. When they were off (like against teh Cards and 49ers) it's not like they were burned from the get go. The receiver ran right past them. Granted, most of it was on Cortland Finnegan.
Yeah we definately need some improvement from our secondary overall. They played pretty poorly in many facets last season. However, I think our added pass rush and tighter coverage will go a long way towards improving our secondary. Plus I really liked the reid and joyner additions

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
6:25 mark = gashed :confused:
Rams played the run and got pinballed