Alex Smith will ask to be released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-49ers-smith-ask-release-061005304--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-49e ... --nfl.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex Smith's days as the San Francisco 49ers' starting quarterback are over.
His time on the team's roster might be ending soon, too.

ProFootballTalk.com reported early Monday that Smith will seek his release from the 49ers prior to the start of free agency.

Smith, 28, is under contract for next season at $8.5 million, $1 million fully guaranteed, with the rest becoming guaranteed April 1, according to the report. Should be released, he'd be surrendering the additional guaranteed money in exchange for the opportunity to determine his next football home.
If Smith remains on the 49ers' roster after April 1, San Francisco could attempt to trade him to one of the handful of teams in need of a starting quarterback.

Smith led the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game a year ago, and he was the NFL's third-ranked quarterback when he sustained a concussion Nov. 11 against the St. Louis Rams. Colin Kaepernick took over the starting job and retained it even when Smith was back at full strength. Kaepernick wound up leading the 49ers to the Super Bowl.

Smith, who has won 20 of his past 26 starts, completed 70.2 percent of his passes this season for 1,737 yards. He threw 13 touchdown passes and was intercepted five times.

In eight seasons since San Francisco made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, Smith has a 38-36-1 record as a starter. He's completed 59.3 percent of his passes for 14,280 yards with 81 touchdown passes and 63 interceptions.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's only 28??? Seems like he's been around forever.

I bet he goes to Philly or KC.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
For us the best case is Kaepernick throws 4 picks in the SB Smith comes in rallyes them to 2 points behind drives them to the 25 with 10 seconds left and they are out of timeouts because Harbugger challenged a spot and lost so they have to spike the ball it slips out of Alex's hand and hits the center in his rump bouncing up in the air Ray Lewis snatches it out of the air and starts dancing that stupid electric slide of his and then smacks JimmH on the back as they shake hands so he follows Ray off the field and they scuffle which Ray wins but refuses to testify against Harbugger ,Kaperniche ends up on Prozac, Alex pines for Mike Martz and demands his release anyway which they do accidentaly 10 minutes AFTER the roster bonus deadline .
I love when that happens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
lasvegasrams said:
I can see NYJ having interest, along with KC, possibly CLE and JAX.

Yep.

AZ too.

Buffalo; if Fitz is cap casualty.

Now that I look at our list... we've listed Smith as a candidate everyone a team needs a QB! :lmao:

Personally: I give the edge to Philly. Shurmur is there. Alex fits that offense.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
CGI_Ram said:
lasvegasrams said:

Yep.

AZ too.

Now that I look at our list... we've listed Smith as a candidate everyone a team needs a QB! :lmao:

Personally: I give the edge to Philly. Shurmur is there. Alex fits that offense.

i was hesitant on saying philly because foles preformed pretty well, but your point on shurmur makes total sense on why philly would take a guy like smith

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CGI_Ram said:
lasvegasrams said:

Yep.

AZ too.

Wait a minute, Shurmur went to Phily as their OC? Really? I know I was out of town for a few days, but I didn't see this one coming at all. Why hire Chip Kelly as your HC and then hire a west coast Offensive OC? I don't get it.

Anyway, I'd rather see Alex go to anyone else other than the Cardinals, as I would hate to see him team-up with Fitz on offense. Ugh, all of a sudden I think AZ would become another NFC threat, and that we don't need.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
interference said:
CGI_Ram said:
lasvegasrams said:

Yep.

AZ too.

Wait a minute, Shurmur went to Phily as their OC? Really? I know I was out of town for a few days, but I didn't see this one coming at all. Why hire Chip Kelly as your HC and then hire a west coast Offensive OC? I don't get it.

Anyway, I'd rather see Alex go to anyone else other than the Cardinals, as I would hate to see him team-up with Fitz on offense. Ugh, all of a sudden I think AZ would become another NFC threat, and that we don't need.

Yep. Shurmur in Philly:

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-eagles-hire-pat-shurmur-assistant-221413896--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-eagles- ... --nfl.html</a>

RamsLife

UDFA
Whatever team Smith ends up with (my guess the Jets) I doubt he"ll come close to having the same sort of success W-L wise and PR/TD-INT ratio as he had with the 9ers in '11 and half way through this season.

9ers have a solid offense and an all around good defense. If it wasn't for that, I highly doubt Smith would of been putting up the #'s he did with them the last yr and a half. He's not nearly as good as his stats suggest.