Alex Smith trade effectively done

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

He says that the trade can't go through until March 12th, but it's pretty much done. Didn't say who or what, but he did say the Chiefs and Jags make sense... Jags said it's not them, so KC looks likely... Question is what they gave up for him. Better not be a first rounder though...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

He says that the trade can't go through until March 12th, but it's pretty much done. Didn't say who or what, but he did say the Chiefs and Jags make sense... Jags said it's not them, so KC looks likely... Question is what they gave up for him. Better not be a first rounder though...

Better be for a 6th rounder...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Chiefs make no sense this early.

Unless it's their 3rd rounder.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

Kc and a 3rd sounds about right
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:

Kc and a 3rd sounds about right
train

Yep Train, that's the only scenario I'd do if I were KC.

…..

Legend
I could really give a shiot about what a sorry azz 49er might be doin. :lmao:

unless////

Brockers body weight falls on Kapernick, he's got to come out of the game, and we look to the sideline and theres no Alex Smith warming up.

yup...i guess it would matter at that time.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
But what if it's Alex Smith and trade firsts :boohoo:

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:

. . . then the '9ers will get someone we would not have expected to get anyway.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
jap said:
Thordaddy said:

And then they could have the firstpick in the draft two years in a row?
:tooth:

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
Thordaddy said:

What does that matter? We want to get to the point where we are consistently choosing last! in the draft---not first! :ww:

TomSlick

UDFA
jap said:
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
Thordaddy said:

What does that matter? We want to get to the point where we are consistently choosing last! in the draft---not first! :ww:

Attaboy, jap. Picking last, or near it, shouldn't hurt us at all if Snead and company stay on the ball.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
jap said:
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
Thordaddy said:

Maybe I wasn't clear ,them picking firstTHIS year and next year because theygo 0-16,I was kidding,I'm a kidder

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
Thordaddy said:

Maybe I wasn't clear ,them picking firstTHIS year and next year because theygo 0-16,I was kidding,I'm a kidder

It's all right. It's good to be able to laugh again about this team. :ww:

It's just that I haven't felt this good about the direction of this team in quite a while. Instead of filling holes, we need to progress to the point where we are just making tweaks, mostly for depth and occasionally for a starter or two.

PhxRam

looks like the Cards are trying to jump in

By Kent Somers
azcentral sports
Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:36 PM
The Cardinals are exploring the possibility of trading for 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, according to an NFL source, but no deal is in place.

It’s unknown how serious the Cardinals are about trading for a quarterback for the second time in less than two years. But they are intrigued by Smith’s experience, intelligence and talents, according to the source. They believe much of his struggles early in his career can be attributed to changes in coaches and offensive systems.

The Cardinals are looking into all options to improve production at the position. That includes bringing back Kevin Kolb at a reduced salary. It’s unknown if those discussions have started. They also are likely to draft a quarterback in the first three rounds.

The Cardinals traded for Kolb in the summer of 2011 and have paid him $20 million. He’s due a bonus of $2 million if he’s on the roster March 17 and his salary for this year is scheduled to be $9 million.

Jason LaCanfora of CBS reported this week the 49ers have told others that a deal for Smith is “effectively complete.” Several other reports, including one from the Sacramento Bee, quoting league sources, reported that the 49ers were still talking to teams about a trade and that no deal was in place.

A handful of teams might have interest in Smith, according to reports, including the Chiefs, Cardinals, Browns and Jaguars.

It makes little sense for the 49ers to narrow their trade options at this point. Teams can discuss trades now but no deal can be signed until March 12, the beginning of the 2013 league year. The 49ers might be confident they can trade Smith, but it’s questionable why they wouldn’t take all available time to make the best possible deal.

The 49ers owe Smith a bonus of $1 million if he’s on the roster on March 15. On April 1, his $8.5 million salary becomes guaranteed.

Trading for Smith would cause the Cardinals to do some gymnastics when it comes to payroll and salary cap. They couldn’t afford to keep both Kolb and Smith. Kolb’s cap number for 2013 is $13.5 million. If they Cardinals parted ways with Kolb, they would have to account for $6 million under the salary cap.

Smith has played well the last two seasons. He helped the 49ers making the NFC title game in 2011, and they were 6-2 in 2012 when he suffered a concussion. Smith completed 70 percent of his pass attempts.

He played against the Cardinals in his last full game, completing 18 of 19 passes and three touchdowns in the victory.

Colin Kaepernick took over for Smith and started the remainder of the season.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
A 2nd round pick this year and maybe another 2nd round pick in 2014.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/27/chiefs-giving-up-a-2013-second-and-change-for-alex-smith/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lex-smith/</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The 49ers have the framework of a deal to trade Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round pick this year and a similar pick–possibly conditional on his playing time and the Chiefs’ success–in the 2014 draft, an NFL source told the Mercury News.

This follows Fox reporter Jay Glazer’s report earlier today that the 49ers have agreed to a deal with the Chiefs. My source fleshed out the compensation, which is almost double the haul coming back to the 49ers than most observers expected.

Another NFL source cautioned that no deal can be official until March 12, hinting that the 49ers could wait for someone else to up the ante, but didn’t deny that these talks are very far along.

And it’s hard to imagine the 49ers landing a larger value than this.

The framework: The 49ers receive Kansas City’s second-round pick this year (34thd overall) and a high-round pick in 2014, believed to be no lower than a third-rounder with the possibility of moving up into the second round.

It’s a huge deal, almost certainly indicative of Smith and his representatives telling the Chiefs that he was committed to going and staying there. Otherwise, it’s unlikely the Chiefs would have been ready to give up two high draft picks to acquire him.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/02/27/framework-of-a-trade-alex-smith-to-kansas-city-for-a-2nd-round-pick-this-year-and-a-similar-pick-in-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... k-in-2014/</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]306819541885915136[/tweet]