Alex Ogletree looks to be the Strong Side LB'er

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/category/from-the-sidelines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/category/fr ... sidelines/</a>

Nick Wagoner reported on May 10, 2013 " Fisher noted that first-round pick LB Alec Ogletree picked off a pass in his very first snap in one on one drills against tight ends. Ogletree looked like the athlete everyone expected and it appears he’s going to get his first look at this level at SLB."

I was wondering like everybody else about where was Ogletree going to be posted. Most all said he would be a better fit @ weakside OLB'er. I guess I could say most of the NFL draft world had him penciled in @ WSLB'er. Well looks like Dunbar will hold onto his Weakside post. I thought that Dunbar played better than most suspected @ WSLB'er in 2012. Rams big issues were @ SSLB'er. Rams tried Rocky McIntosh, then Josh Hull, then Mario Hagan. then Fisher brought up from PS Sammy Brown but he never saw regular field action. I was not in a hurry to see Dunbar booted out myself. My thought when Snead snagged tree that he would be our SSLBer at least until Dunbar departs in 2014 if then.

Fisher pulled the SSLBer out of the game often & used the Nickle over and over again. I posted late last week asking the question as to why he was so quick on the trigger to insert the Nickel? I had no takers from any ROD'ers to help me out on that. Fisher now has a very athletic SSLB'er who can cover down-field better than both our starting 2012 safeties, think on that for a bit. Think we see so much of the Nickle now in 2013?

Anyway you look at it the trio cadre of JL, Dunbar & tree will provide the Rams with the best talented set of starters in some time. The reserves is a bonified UNKNOWN. The Mike LB'ing post has vets JL & Hull with a newcomer UDFA named Jonathan Stewart who has some size 6-3 248 pounds. The WSLB'er has last yrs back up in Jabara Williams former 7th rd Ram pick in 2011. A very interesting UDFA Ray Ray Armstrong who is 6-3 233 former safety. UDFA Phillip Steward 6-1 230 pounder. Also UDFA Daren Bates too.

Behind Ogletree on the SSLB post is last yrs back up in Sammy Brown and a new UDFA signed this weekend named Joe Le Beau. I think thats 11 LB'ing cadre now. I sure feel better about this cadre than last yr. Did I leave out anyone important?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, Fisher has said that he considers the Nickel back the 12th starter. He loves that position. And of course any time a team uses 3 or more wide receivers, he'll pull that LB in favor of a corner - which would be Finnegan. I don't see him going away from that any time soon. This division in particular is going to use a lot of 3 WR sets, and there are guys that you don't want a LB covering.

I do agree that we're in MUCH better shape now concerning the WIL and SAM spots, so at least short yardage situations won't be as daunting. And if teams to go two TE sets, we won't have to worry much as much about who's covering who on the seam routes. There are some very good athletes on this team now competing for those spots.