Alex Carrington signs with the Rams!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sure is hard to predict this draft.

This is our 3rd down DT. It's kinda hard to draft Clowney when you'd have to pull Carrigan or Brockers.

If we sign Britt, that gives us a really deep WR'ing core.

OL is anybody's guess on how Snisher feels about it.

I have a hard time beleiving their interest is in Mack.

Only one thing is for sure, they're doing a great job at muddying the waters and not tipping their hand.

Slappy967

Starter
Now this is a FA signing that is completely under the radar but could be a HUGE coup. Guy will be nice depth that has a lot of upside in my opinion. It's going to free us up to focus on some serious needs in the draft.

RamBill

Legend
Rams add solid DT depth in Carrington
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7040/rams-add-solid-dt-depth-in-carrington

The St. Louis Rams finally dipped their toes into the free-agent waters Tuesday afternoon, coming to terms on a one-year deal with Buffalo defensive lineman Alex Carrington.

Unlike the recent additions of cornerback Greg Reid and linebacker Etienne Sabino, Carrington is the first player the Rams have added in free agency who has played in the NFL for a different organization. He's also a sound, logical pickup for a team that has clearly coveted more depth on the interior of the defensive line.

The Rams showed early interest in Carrington, Henry Melton and Antonio Smith, even going so far as hosting the latter two on visits. When Melton chose Dallas and Smith opted for Oakland, the Rams concentrated their search for help behind starters Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford on Carrington.

Based on all that movement, the Rams clearly viewed additional help on the interior rotation as one of free agency's main priorities. And rightfully so. Backup defensive tackles Jermelle Cudjo and Matt Conrath didn't provide much help behind the starters in 2013. Cudjo had a strong enough 2012 to earn a contract extension last offseason but followed with 11 tackles and not much else in his 209 snaps in 13 games in 2013. Conrath got opportunities to contribute last year as well, playing eight games and 129 snaps with seven tackles and a sack.

Defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims were actually better options behind the starters when they moved inside but that left Robert Quinn and Chris Long taking on larger than expected workloads every week. Adding another piece to the middle should allow more breathers for Long and Quinn.

In Carrington, the Rams are getting just the type of versatile piece that defensive line coach Mike Waufle likes to groom. At 6-foot-5, 301 pounds, Carrington has lined up all over the line in his four years in Buffalo, though playing end in a 3-4 alignment has been his most consistent spot. That spot is common in terms of translation to defensive tackle in a 4-3 front and, in fact, is the same move Langford made with the Rams after coming over from Miami.

Originally a third-round draft pick out of Arkansas State, Carrington played 44 games in four seasons with the Bills. He posted 52 tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble in that time.

The Rams have been patient in free agency and are the last team to sign an outside free agent. And while this one may not make much of a splash on the surface, it looks the part of another under-the-radar defensive line move the Rams have made under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead (the Hayes signing). Hayes was a fifth-round pick without much on his résumé when he departed Tennessee and has blossomed under the guidance of the well-respected Waufle.

Carrington actually has even less tangible production than Hayes did when he came to St. Louis but it wouldn't be much of a surprise if Waufle and a talented and competitive defensive line group has a similar effect on Carrington.

Alan

Legend
"it looks the part of another under-the-radar defensive line move the Rams have made under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead (the Hayes signing)."
Proof positive that Nick is lurking here. No way he thought of that himself. :LOL:

fearsomefour

Legend
Carrington gives the Rams a legit rotation at DT.
Again, nothing negative about this signing at all.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
For the Aaron Donald camp w/ 13 pick, keep in mind they only signed Carrington to a one year deal, so DT will still be a need

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
For the Aaron Donald camp w/ 13 pick, keep in mind they only signed Carrington to a one year deal, so DT will still be a need
Or it might mean they have a developmental guy in mind and Carrington is basically a stop gap

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just when I think we're leaning towards Clowney, we go out and get a pass rushing DT that really gives us a nice rotation. I don't even know anymore...

I do know I'd still like Robinson.

nighttrain

Legend
"it looks the part of another under-the-radar defensive line move the Rams have made under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead (the Hayes signing)."
Proof positive that Nick is lurking here. No way he thought of that himself. :LOL:
you
Balderdash you fiend :cool:
train

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just when I think we're leaning towards Clowney, we go out and get a pass rushing DT that really gives us a nice rotation. I don't even know anymore...

I do know I'd still like Robinson.

A pass rushing DT who has had only 4 sacks in his entire NFL career??

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Solid depth signing. Type of player that Waufle is exceptional at developing...long, athletic DT. But sadly, this means that Aaron Donald likely won't happen. :(

Arron Donald was on path to the draft last night and said hes on his way to visit the Rams and the Cowboys. I dont think this rules him out, We only signed carrington to a one year deal. If hes BPA at 13 or we trade down a few spots and hes still there hes too talented to pass up.

F. Mulder

Starter
I like this signing a lot. if he is healthy he is more versatile, offers more big play capability, and could be a steal as a rotational Dt vs what we've seen from Cudjo and Conrath. His upside is MUCH higher.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Great signing. Looks like the Rams can go into the draft and not have to draft anyone position. Feels good to finally have a team that actually has talent and depth. Looks like the Rams are headed in the right direction and lets hope we kill it in the draft. Go Rams

RamBill

Legend
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721

Rams one-year deal with DT Alex Carrington worth $1.5M with $1M of that guaranteed: $500,000 roster bonus and $500,000 of $1M base salary.