Alden Gonzalez Recaps the Rams Draft –Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
ESPN.com’s Rams reporter Alden Gonzalez came on to help the guys recap who the Rams selected in the NFL Draft. Gonzalez also went in depth on the skill players the Rams drafted with their 1st 3 picks.

Listen to Gonzalez Talk Rams Draft

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Aldon Gonzalez said Pharoh Cooper and Cooper Kupp have a very similar skill set? and Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds have similar skill sets?

does Gonzalez watch game film or just random highlights and read various scouting reports?

I mean if you're talking 40 yard dash times and working out of the slot vs outside etc, I guess I get the basis of his comparisons but these WR's are nothing alike on their game film.

Pharoh is nothing like Kupp and Thomas is nothing like Reynolds outside of some minor similarities that you can do when comparing a variety of WR's if you were to give a generic generalization about skill sets and the positions they played coming out of college.

Kupp and Reynolds to me stand out above Pharoh and Thomas when you watch their game film. I'm not saying Pharoh and Thomas don't have good game film but I was taken back a bit by the way he downplayed the talent differences. just my opinion and maybe some fans agree with Gonzalez...

The outlook I have is Pharoh and Thomas are fighting for roster spots against Spruce, McRoberts, Marquez and any other surprise WR's that are on the Roster when camp and preseason begin.

I see something different from what he explained in his interview....

different%20view.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I concur with our esteemed @Florida_Ram I did like Gonzalez eluding to McVay leaving his imprint on this draft and why they passed on somebody like Forrest Lamp. Let's hope our Wunderkind has it right because lord knows as Ram fans we deserve it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The sheer reasonableness of this man's analysis.... it's insulting to anyone who posts on a message board regularly!

Really, he's spot on in saying that: expecting any WR to start ahead of Austin and Woods is akin to expecting to win the lottery. It does seem like the likely best case scenario is that Kupp was underdrafted and his smarts allow him to win the slot job over Cooper, making him a dangerous weapon on option routes and crossing routes under the coverage becoming a huge security blanket for Goff.

I actually have more confidence in Kupp being a bigger difference maker early than Everett just because of how much the coaching staff raved about his smarts.

Another best case scenario seems to me that Everett masters the seam and post routes early (I think it's asking a lot for him to do more than that) and at least provides us with a weapon in that arena (also being able to run off coverage for that slot receiver running option and crossing routes).

In each of these cases, even if Kupp or Everett's production isn't all-pro worthy, the could go a long way in reducing the amount of double coverage that Austin receives. The boy can't do jack when double covered and unfortunately when double coverage shifted to Britt last year, the lack of protection, scheme breakdowns, drops and poor QB play kept the Rams from exploiting Austin in single coverage. And well, he's just Austin. Ugh.

Woods? Woods will run off coverage too but more likey will be used for out routes, deep ins and comebacks. Hmmm... deeps ins with Kupp running underneath. Hi-lo concepts that make a QBs job easier.... I'm starting to salivate guys.