Alden Gonzalez on Recent Ogletree Trade and Other Moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alden Gonzalez on Recent Ogletree Trade and Other Moves –Audio

Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Rams Beat Writer joins Mornings and talks about how the Rams moves have been met in the locker room, what these moves mean to the Rams cap space needed for future Goff, Gurley and Donald contracts, why Sammy Watkins wasn’t tagged, their strategy at the LB position, what will they do with their #23 draft pick and more.

Listen to Gonzalez Talk Rams

Psycho_X

Legend
Some take aways:

-Building up the cap for next year to $100mil available because they know Donald, Gurley, and Goff will take up a third of their cap in a couple of years.

-Wanted to get Joyner signed long term last year but couldn't get it done. Felt Joyner was more important to the roster than Watkins obviously.

-Will rely on someone like Josh Reynolds who they like to step up in Watkins role if they can't get Watkins signed.

-Are hopeful a few LB'ers they like will drop to them at 23 but not committing to that position there. The lb'er FA market is weak. A few ILB options. OLB'er is very weak. Julius Peppers a good option but will cost a lot on a one year deal and is 76 years old. Have some confidence in Littleton, Ebukam, and Longacre but too little snaps to rely on.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
-Wanted to get Joyner signed long term last year but couldn't get it done. Felt Joyner was more important to the roster than Watkins obviously.
Strange.....cause guys that get tagged are usually off the team in a couple years....if we don't work out a contract with Joyner...long-tern....he won't remain a Ram after 2019

WestCoastRam

Legend
Whoops, missed this post, Den beat me too it.

I'll need to re-listen, but it really sounded like the Rams were looking at OLB at 23 in the draft and not necessarily ILB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But LJ is special...(y)
I will concur....guy has proven me wrong....so far....still didn't like the way he was complaining and tattlle-telling on hardknocks.....LOL
it really sounded like the Rams were looking at OLB at 23 in the draft and not necessarily ILB.
I think they'll go BPA with respect to the ILB/OLB position at 23....but I wish they'd grab a backup OL

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will concur....guy has proven me wrong....so far....still didn't like the way he was complaining and tattlle-telling on hardknocks.....LOL
I think they'll go BPA with respect to the ILB/OLB position at 23....but I wish they'd grab a backup OL
Yep I sure do not like any of the UFA OLB'er available presently on the lists.I do like the UFA ILB'er though.There seems to be a half dozen good ones.

On defense the needs are now @ NT-OLB & ILB @ the moment.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd be shocked if the Rams pick a non-pass-rushing NT at 23. Think it's OLB or trade down. I still think the Rams might pick up a 2nd wave FA NT or ILB type before the draft arrives.