Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think this guy needs some attention because of his TC to date. Jackson has lost a ton of weight, going from about 318 lbs to around 285 lbs. This will allow him to pack on muscle weight and not have it degrade his ability. His scouting reports all pointed to how raw he was, and how bad his feet were in terms of a OT slide.

Losing that weight has seemed to improve the area of most concern his lateral movement. He appears quicker and smoother in his movement. What I personally like about him is his mauler mentality, a real trench warrior type of guy. Even with his film with him being heavier, it was clear this kid has potential on the right side as an RT or RG. I think his future is on the right side because of his ability to play the run and make second-level blocks, a must for a RG and especially a RT. His length would suggest RG but his experience as an OT would equally suggest his ability to play RT.

Reports are he is playing RT and isn't as raw as scouting reports had suggested. I think two things are at play here. He's motivated and he has worked hard at an outside performance academy to improve his game. Also, he's being coached up by Carberry who is known for his ability to develop young talent. Losing the weight IMO has helped his foot quickness. His practicing has been largely at RT and would suggest he could be in play as Havenstein's replacement. Also, since he played LT in college he is showing his value as a swing OT.

When people bemoaned the lack of an OL pick in this draft and McVay quipped that getting Brewer back off the COVID opt-out list was their draft pick. I also thought Jackson was an underrated signing. At the very least I saw quality depth in him. Reports from camp are very positive about his performance. There have been writeups in some publications about his surprising performance.

With his camp film, it might be hard to slip him through waivers to get to the PS. It's why I think the Rams will carry 10 not the 9 on the OL they usually do. It's why I don't think they will carry 7 WRs or 4 TE's to carry Mundt at the expense of a RT replacement for Havenstein or future swing OT. If he keeps on impressing this year I can see him in play as the Ram's RT of the future starting next year.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
My Iowa boy is turning heads then? That's great to read considering I haven't seen a ton on him!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see him as a long term project. Maybe PS and that's if he shows them something. The guy had good talent and coaching but lacked production in college and that's generally a bad combination in terms of measuring a player's chances of making it. IMO.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basically, I agree Merlin. But he's improved physically and has shown commitment by seeking outside help. If he now improves on his weaknesses then give him a shot. It's not like they have a whole lot of options at RT other than Noteboom right now. The fact they are experimenting with Anchrum is telling. I'm not saying Anchrum can't play in the NFL but he's going to be at a distinct disadvantage before he takes a snap.

The Rams look to be committed to Edwards at LG. Moving Corbett back to RG frees up Evans to backup or be in play for that RT spot. My concerns about Evans is the same about Havenstein. His foot speed doesn't lend itself to the speed he will face in the NFL. That said he has the nasty attitude you want to play on the right side in the run game. If Carberry can improve Evan's slide he could make a decent RT or even swing OT. Regardless if Corbett permanently takes over at RG this will give the Rams better depth at OT with Evans and Jackson.

I really think Jackson is a year away from being where he needs to be. IMO he needs to strengthen and add 10-15 lbs of muscle and I think he will. He came in with a good reputation for playing with strength, it was his messed up footwork that was his major problem. That IMO is a coachable correction, that if made will give him a legit shot in the NFL. Inconsistency showed a need for good coaching, but his high points reflect his potential.

All I'm saying is that he shouldn't be overlooked next year as a starting RT or at the very least a solid swing OT in 2022. If he gets blown out on Saturday so be it. But if he can show promise then the Rams might have mined a sleeper.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Maaaaan, I thought that said Allen Jackson at first. I was about to get excited.

oldnotdead

Legend
Where did you read this? or are you going to the training camps? Don't mean to be a jerk but you state that like you have some inside info.

A friend who attended all the public practices took videos of drills as well as the regular competitive practices. He provided me with a lot of material with the promise not to share. He uses it in his business. His dad was a coach up in Seattle and that is where and when I met him. We talk a lot about what we both see. He provided me with a video of Alaric in college for us to compare.

I get a lot of different stuff from him and it's why I think Funk if he stays healthy was a steal. It's also his material that really got me excited about Rochell before the draft. I simply didn't see how he kept getting passed over. Once he hits his stride Rochell and Ramsey will give the Rams the best CB tandem in the NFL. Rochell has true shutdown traits and could be a top INT producer, he's a real ball hawk.

IMO Meredith is a work in progress. I see at least a full 2 year development cycle in him. He must hit the weight room and clean up a lot of poor tendencies. His less than optimum play radius is a concern in pass protection. This is why he needs to compensate with improved footwork and quickness. He's mobile enough to play in all schemes but his play lacks strength and power. Right now I see a decent rotational backup next year if he stays on track with his development.

Now everyone knows just how good Harris can be especially when paired with Stafford. I see him on McVay's no play list for the rest of preseason.

Psycho_X

Legend
A friend who attended all the public practices took videos of drills as well as the regular competitive practices.
Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It will be interesting to see how Jackson fares the rest of preseason. He's going to need to do a better job of staying on blocks first off. But as I mentioned elsewhere I like his feet and that's a big part of the equation for that blindside. He actually looks like a guy who might belong at this level, which is to say he's still a project obviously but my opinion of him has changed quite a bit.

Raiders have a pretty good second stringer in Nassib btw. I'm sure they'll have him over Jackson a bit and it should be enlightening.

I'm hoping the guys on the OL make some strides after that trial by fire vs the Chargers. They're getting some great snaps and experience out there that's for sure.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think good feet is necessary no matter what side you play. Teams are viewing the RT as the weak OT and are beginning to target them. This is why Havenstein is struggling the last two years. What I don't like about Havenstein is that he came in with slow feet and that hasn't changed at all. There are things he could do to improve that, and A. Jack has proved it can be done. Rob IMO has gotten complacent. He got his big extension and he's gliding to the finish line now. Giving up 9 sacks in the past two year would have gotten most OT's released, and is not in line with what he's being paid. He's 29 with two years left on his contract and he's got to know this was his one and only payday and he's playing like it.

Next year the Ram's save $7.3M by releasing Havenstein so no matter what IMO he's gone next year. I would rather roll the dice with Anchrum at RT than pay Havenstein $8.8M for his mediocre play.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Did OL AJ Jackson just complicate HC Sean McVay’s job?​

by Bret Stuter
Follow @milroyigglesfan

There is a certain cadence, a rhythm, a pulse of how things are supposed to go in the NFL. The LA Rams, as 31 other NFL teams, almost depend upon it to get things done. It’s a certain timing of hitting each landmark moment in synchronicity with everyone else. Much like the waves at the beach oscillate in an almost mesmerizing pattern of ebb and flow. As long as the rhythmic frequency continues, everything remains predictable. But if something is out of step? Things get a tad bit more complicated.

When the LA Rams selected AJ Jackson, er signed him, after the 2021 NFL Draft, he arrived on the roster as a talented offensive lineman with the potential to become a key solution to the dilemma of what to do with the offensive line in 2022. The normal pattern is to show some promise, stay under the radar, face getting cut via the waiver wire, re-sign to the LA Rams practice squad, slowly develop, return in 2022 and compete for a starting role.

Unfortunately, AJ Jackson didn’t get the memo.

The video for the entire joint LA Rams at Dallas Cowboys joint practice runs over 2 hours. If you are patient enough, you will see the LA Rams jersey number 68 showing up in flashes of one on one drills at the 53:40 mark. Showed up and held his own when he was given the task. Handled the defenders who are in shorts and fast.

We’re not seeing the daily grind, the DAWGWORK that Defensive Line Coach Eric Henderson preaches about, but we do have the chance to peer in and witness the progress.

AJ Jackson appears to be ahead of schedule. As much as that is the ultimate goal, it creates problems for the head coach, Sean McVay. Jackson had a blue-chip college football program background. He was 42 career starts at the University of Iowa. He is listed at 6-foot-7 and 285 pounds. That’s a much lighter, and must faster, weight than his 321-pound draft profile.

Jackson does not appear to be as raw as his draft profile suggests. Of course, losing 36 pounds is going to be substantial in terms of impact on his play. Much like the new and improved lean look with A’Shawn Robinson, AJ Jackson is much more explosive now. And that impressive early showing is eye-catching.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think good feet is necessary no matter what side you play. Teams are viewing the RT as the weak OT and are beginning to target them. This is why Havenstein is struggling the last two years. What I don't like about Havenstein is that he came in with slow feet and that hasn't changed at all. There are things he could do to improve that, and A. Jack has proved it can be done. Rob IMO has gotten complacent. He got his big extension and he's gliding to the finish line now. Giving up 9 sacks in the past two year would have gotten most OT's released, and is not in line with what he's being paid. He's 29 with two years left on his contract and he's got to know this was his one and only payday and he's playing like it.

Next year the Ram's save $7.3M by releasing Havenstein so no matter what IMO he's gone next year. I would rather roll the dice with Anchrum at RT than pay Havenstein $8.8M for his mediocre play.
This is not complacent.

1629196361659.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like the way Whitworth has them spread out & both on there outside rush protection. He is talking about angles & foot work. Where to leverage & to attack or square up & when. Finding balance at that point of contact.

Attachments

• 1629196684975.png
    1629196684975.png
    397.9 KB · Views: 27

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looked back at the time frame.These 3 were working & talking together for only about 10 -15 minutes after practice. Carberry worked with Brian Allen & Kolone for only about 5 minutes afterward.
A.Jackson didn’t stay after. IMO your over stating things FULLY.You have your rights for your views & I take that you have good ideas & knowledge.
My point is that your taking experience from veterans & the years they have played for potential.Myself as a Old Draftnik of Sports have seen that being a Failured Recipe for Disaster. Example Senior Bowl vs shrine game or whatever JR.’s after season game.

Johnny Mundt is what Sean Mcvay likes in his system. To develop a player within The TEAM that has potential. He has exceeded this &
resigned. B. Hopkins couldn’t & didn’t beat him out as just that example.

A.Jackson fits that spot,or dot,mark,check list box.Is undervalued as a UDRFA by Ram Fans ? Not by myself. I like guess like this for exactly the reason & points you have been making.

Now your talking about a RT Les Snead moved up to get & Mcvay(Rams) resigned. You want him cut for WHO?? Then Anchrum who RAM(ROD) Fans are gushing about after his first preseason with The Rams is not that good because of (AD99) his size before he steps on the field.I’d say (>%*^*#€¥[_\) what ?

I think practice squad & actually Blanton who was another (Les Snead) Mcvay type guy he develops as a UDRFA will make the 53 man roster.

You want to know why & the importance of a position. It’s called Special Teams. I can go on how I went to see your SD chargers training camp & his Staley runs a practice. To know & see the difference,especially after this last Saturday’s preseason game.

Tell me who’s out there,who are the starters?who won the special teams battle ? There is a lot that goes into decision making. Special teams is one of them.2021 has that theme as well.