Aging franchise QB's may see replacements drafted

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is an interesting time as many of the league's premier QB's are getting close to retirement. In many regards, "the face of the league" is changing fast.

Roethlisberger, E Manning, Brees, Brady, C Palmer are all on the doorstep. P Manning and T Romo just retired. Alex Smith, Flacco, and Rodgers are all 32 or older.

It doesn't feel like the inbound crops are keeping up... but I guess that might not be an accurate thing to say?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...arterbacks-react-if-replacements-are-drafted/

How will aging franchise quarterbacks react if replacements are drafted?

It’s no surprise that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger decided not to retire and, in turn, not to pay back $18.6 million in unearned bonus money to the team. It won’t be a surprise if the Steelers use a first- or second-round pick on Roethlisberger’s eventual replacement.

With Roethlisberger openly musing about walking away, the Steelers need to be prepared for the inevitable, whether it comes in one year, two years, or three. Indeed, more than a decade ago the Packers picked Aaron Rodgers in round one, and he sat on the bench for a full three seasons before becoming the successor to Brett Favre, after Brett Favre made his annual retirement ruminations a tradition truly unlike any other.

But the Steelers aren’t the only team with a franchise quarterback that may be kicking tires on incoming signal-callers. The Giants are thinking about life after Eli Manning, the Chargers are thinking about life after Philip Rivers, and the Saints are thinking about life after Drew Brees. So what will any of these guys have to say, publicly or privately, if it comes to that?

Brees recently addressed that possibility in balanced, even-handed terms.

f I’m going to start and that quarterback sits, well that’s not helping our team right now,” Brees said recently, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “So, I want somebody who’s going to help our team right now. That’s the only difference.

“When I leave here, I want this organization to be successful — whenever that is — so I want them to be prepared for that. They need to be thinking about that, but then again, I don’t want to make it seem like this is my farewell tour. That’s not the way I view it.”

Will Roethlisberger, Manning, and Rivers be quite as diplomatic if/when they see a pick that could be used on helping the team win now devoted to the future? Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has taken the high road (as far as anyone knows) when his team has used relatively early picks on quarterbacks, with two spent on third-rounders and one on a second-rounder since 2011.

The Patriots have been actively adding guys like Ryan Mallett, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Jacoby Brissett even though Brady has never talked about retiring. If anything, Brady remains committed to playing as long as he possibly can.

For now, Roethlisberger is the only franchise quarterback at the other end of the spectrum, broaching the subject of retirement not long after the season ended and waiting until April to declare that he’s coming back. While no one took that vow seriously as it relates to a 2017 retirement, the Steelers and everyone else need to take things seriously.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Roethlisberger, E Manning, Brees, Brady, C Palmer are all on the doorstep. P Manning and T Romo just retired. Alex Smith, Flacco, and Rodgers are all 32 or older.
I hope the GM's/Coaches of ALL of these team chase QB's in this years Draft! And in the 1st round especially!!:D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And I hope that all of the teams that have had a nice long experience enjoining their above average, successful QBs, take their turn in the loser bracket struggling for a decade or more to find their true successor. Its time for the rest of the league to once again rise to the top.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good luck finding a franchise QB in this draft. Next year's crop has a few potentials That kid at USC has most GM's needing a QB drooling.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I have heard interviews with GM's saying if they had it thier way they would draft a QB in every draft until they found their replacement. Both Darnold and Rosen look like big time prospects out here at the So Cal Schools

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I'm convinced at this point that Brady is going to be the first QB to throw a pass while simultaneously drawing social security.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think this should have been titled "Teams Will Desperately TRY To Replace Their Aging Quarterbacks In Draft".

It looks like the same old same old; not nearly enough elite quarterbacks to fill all the needy slots.