Agent: Saffold wouldn't like switch to RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/article_4b09b7be-13d8-57dc-ad1a-54c23077b160.html#.UUDw6U7NQuk.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... uk.twitter</a>

According to his agent, Alan Herman, Rams left tackle Rodger Saffold wouldn’t be happy about a switch to right tackle. But Herman stopped short of saying Saffold would request a trade if that were the case.

It could indeed be the case should the Rams sign free-agent Jake Long of Miami, who is visiting Rams Park today.

“[hil]I’m sure if you would ask Rodger[/hil] what position he’d want to play, he’d want to be a left tackle,” Herman said. “That’s his position. It’s a paying position in the league. He’s played left tackle his whole life since he was a little kid. Why would he want to move to the other side?”

Herman said he hasn’t brought the subject up with executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff or general manager Les Snead — and not even Saffold — because at the moment Saffold is still the team’s left tackle. And Long wasn’t a Ram — at least not yet.

“I think people are trying to get ahead of the curve here,” Herman said. “See what happens, and we go from there. If they sign the guy (Long), I’m sure Rodger’s going to be the first one to say: ‘I want to be a left tackle.’ What happens at that point?”

Herman indicated that the most likely scenario would be that Saffold plays out the final year of his contract and reaches free agency. He’s scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent following the 2013 season.

[hil]Saffold could not be reached for comment.[/hil]

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well no fucking shit. Lets ask Austin Davis' agent if he wants to be a backup QB over a starter too. I have an idea, shut up and let your client speak for himself. You just want more money when he resigns.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I can definetly see why Saffold would be pissed. For one, the move would drastically lower his FA value. Actually he would be hard pressed to get a lot of teams to even sign him as a LT. I'm not sure if I'm even sold on Long because of health concerns.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hate when agents do this.

If Saffold is worth the payday this tool suggests, he'll show he's willing to do whatever it takes to better the team.

Douchebag.

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
I hate when agents do this.

If Saffold is worth the payday this tool suggests, he'll show he's willing to do whatever it takes to better the team.

Douchebag.
Agreed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rodger Saffold works extremely hard and takes a great amount of pride in playing LT. I brought this up yesterday. I thought he would be upset if we brought Jake Long in to play LT. Who wouldn't be upset? I don't blame him. Saffold is a LT in this league. I think what is laid out in this article is dead on. Rodger is a professional, he will make the switch, work hard at mastering it, but next year when his contract is up, he will be looking to get a paycheck playing LT.

I have no problem with his agent saying what he did. I don't think he crossed any lines at this point, as a lot of agents usually do. By the way he framed some of his statements, it sounds as if someone reached out to the agent, not the other way around, so the blame should be on the media.

What I hope is that we play extremely well next year, and the best guy plays at LT, whether it's Long, or Saffold, or somebody else who beats them out. In any case, I hope that both players end up with long contracts with the Rams in the future. We will be a better team with both of them.

jap

Legend
Rodger could have quietly sulked then hit the Rams with an unexpected ultimatum.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
I thought he would be upset if we brought Jake Long in to play LT. Who wouldn't be upset? I don't blame him. Saffold is a LT in this league. I think what is laid out in this article is dead on.

Long is a 4x pro bowler. The chance to get that kind of talent on your team - it's selfish to say what his agent said.

DR RAM said:
Rodger Saffold works extremely hard and takes a great amount of pride in playing LT. I brought this up yesterday.

Agree. No doubt.

DR RAM said:
I have no problem with his agent saying what he did. I don't think he crossed any lines at this point, as a lot of agents usually do.

Again, per my first point... Rams fans want to upgrade the team. Build a winner. To see an agent open his trap during a time fans should be excited... lame. Selfish.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Afro Ram said:
I can definetly see why Saffold would be pissed. For one, the move would drastically lower his FA value. Actually he would be hard pressed to get a lot of teams to even sign him as a LT. I'm not sure if I'm even sold on Long because of health concerns.
I disagree. The talent evaluators in the NFL know the value of Saffold, and 1 season at RT--being a team player--is not going to devalue him.

But as DR said, who plays LT is still to be determined. The media seems to have a low opinion of Saffold as a LT, but that's not the reality. Not among the brighter bulbs in the NFL.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ram Quixote said:
Afro Ram said:
I disagree. The talent evaluators in the NFL know the value of Saffold, and 1 season at RT--being a team player--is not going to devalue him.

But as DR said, who plays LT is still to be determined. The media seems to have a low opinion of Saffold as a LT, but that's not the reality. Not among the brighter bulbs in the NFL.
I don't think it would lower his value either, in fact, it might increase it.

In response to CGI, I think that the media stirred this whole thing up, and the agent was truthful. To me, no harm done. He didn't cross the line, IMO. If anything, he just let people know that his client in a competitor. He even said people were jumping the gun, that sure the hell is true. Everyone is getting worked up and Long isn't even on the team yet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
In response to CGI, I think that the media stirred this whole thing up, and the agent was truthful. To me, no harm done. He didn't cross the line, IMO. If anything, he just let people know that his client in a competitor. He even said people were jumping the gun, that sure the hell is true. Everyone is getting worked up and Long isn't even on the team yet.

Fair enough.

Yeah, I guess I (like others) took offense to the "story" coming out at a time we should be celebrating. It didn't sit well.

And... true enough... Dude's not even signed.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I don't care what Saffold wants I care about whats best for the team! Saffold should feel the same...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Even if Rodger Saffold DEMANDED to be traded, I don't see how many teams will give something up.

Every team either already has a LT in place or if they don't, believe in trading moves like this (Pack, Steelers, Ravens).

Except for San Diego, who have the chance to take one of the top LTs in the draft. Of course there's Arizona but who knows how much they would have to give up.

Only team I could see is Philly b/c of Jason Peters' age/health and a new system.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The Rammer said:
I don't care what Saffold wants I care about whats best for the team! Saffold should feel the same...
Nothing that has been said so far can be attributed to Saffold. All the agent really said is that Saffold isn't conceding the LT position to Long. That's merely speaking of the competitive spirit.