After suffering from dementia, ex-Packer CB Mike McCoy dies at 62

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rom-dementia-ex-packer-mike-mccoy-dies-at-62/

After suffering from dementia, ex-Packer Mike McCoy dies at 62
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 23, 2016

mikemccoypackers-e1456267782776.jpg
Getty Images

Former Packers cornerback Mike McCoy, who was diagnosed with dementia in his 50s, has died in the assisted living facility he called home for four years. He was 62.

Last year, McCoy and his wife spoke publicly about his cognitive problems. He said he still remembered his playing career but struggled with short-term memory.

“Sometimes I can’t remember what I had for breakfast or dinner, but I can remember Packers stuff from 40 years ago,” he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last year. “The brain is sure weird. I’m functional, but I can’t drive. I’ve had like three seizures over the last couple years and so I gave up my car. Janet wanted me to do it, to be safe at home, you know. It’s really hard to give up your car keys, your independence.

But I thank the man upstairs, because I have great family around me and I’m very thankful for that. Some players kept it inside and committed suicide. You need your family and friends around you and you have to talk them. Janet helps me, but she also helps other NFL players and families who are going through this. It’s not easy.”

McCoy was the Packers’ third-round draft pick in 1976 and played for the Packers until 1983.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Does this article imply his condition was a result of playing in the NFL?

I don't want to go on a total rant, but bad stuff happens to people who never played in the NFL too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I don't want to go on a total rant, but bad stuff happens to people who never played in the NFL too.
Yeah, was gonna say the same thing too.

Ram65

Legend

Guilty by association? It doesn't really say anything but quotes from McCoy about having family for support that other NFL former players may not have had or used.

But I thank the man upstairs, because I have great family around me and I’m very thankful for that. Some players kept it inside and committed suicide. You need your family and friends around you and you have to talk them. Janet helps me, but she also helps other NFL players and families who are going through this. It’s not easy.”

It just seems to be happening to a greater percentage of former NFL players. Well,it's been proven...I'm afraid we will be reading many more stories like this one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11513442/data-estimates-3-10-nfl-retirees-face-cognitive-woes

NFL players are likely to suffer chronic brain injury at a "significantly higher" rate than the general population and also show neurocognitive impairment at a much younger age, according to documents filed on behalf of the league in federal court Friday.

Former players between 50 and 59 years old develop Alzheimer's disease and dementia at rates 14 to 23 times higher than the general population of the same age range, according to the documents. The rates for players between 60-64 are as much as 35 times the rate of the general population, the documents reported..............

WvuIN02

Starter
Yea those kinds of numbers are not coincidence. And while this player did have family support, there are probably many who do not, and diseases that affect cognition such as this make it harder to see in yourself what others see. Very tragic, but grown men smashing other mens brains inside of their skull isnt something you can really limit unless you change the game to flag football and nobody would watch that.