After rugged opening stretch, schedule lightens for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
After rugged opening stretch, schedule lightens for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_82101b62-cfb6-5f01-a042-713e74cbedcd.html

When the Rams’ schedule came out last spring, the first five games appeared as menacing as a Clay Matthews blitz up the middle. (You know, just ask Nick Foles.)

Not only were four of those five contests against 2014 playoff teams — Seattle, Pittsburgh, Arizona, and Green Bay — but those are teams that figured to be among the top squads in their conference this season as well. As a topper, three of the five contests were on the road.

Well, to paraphrase former NFL coach Dennis Green, the schedule is what we thought it was. Maybe even tougher than expected.

Green Bay (5-0) is among a handful of unbeaten teams remaining in the NFL, and the Rams knocked Arizona (4-1) from the ranks of the unbeaten — in Arizona. Pittsburgh (3-2) hasn’t been the same without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but it had the league’s hottest offense when it arrived in St. Louis in Week 3 with a healthy Roethlisberger before he suffered a knee injury in the contest.

Seattle (2-3) is suffering from what appears to be a classic case of Super Bowl hangover. Even the fifth team in that opening quintet, Washington (2-3), is borderline respectable after being one of the league’s worst teams a year ago.

But it goes deeper than that. It’s justified to wonder about the Rams’ 32nd-ranked offense, but consider the fact that the Rams have faced the league’s fifth (Seattle), sixth (Washington), seventh (Green Bay), and ninth (Arizona) defenses in terms of total defense rankings.

The only exception, 18th-ranked Pittsburgh, has fallen out of the top 10 since Roethlisberger suffered his injury. The Steelers have struggled on offense with Michael Vick at quarterback, meaning their defense has been on the field a lot. And even with that, the Steelers still are among the league’s top 10 in scoring defense (tied for seventh).

On the other side of the ball, the Rams’ defense has faced two top 10 offenses and all five opponents are ranked in the top 15 in total offense. Pittsburgh, ranked 13th, undoubtedly would be in the top five with a healthy Roethlisberger.

So again, when the schedule came out about the best most observers expected was 2-3 over the first five games, which is exactly where the Rams are at as they complete their bye week.

With the exception of the first half against Washington, the Rams’ 13th-ranked defense has held up its end. It has kept the Rams in every contest, and shown flashes of dominance at times.

The young Rams offense was expected to struggle in the early going, and it has done just that. The Rams have had two productive games offensively (Seattle and Arizona), two awful games offensively (Washington and Pittsburgh) and one game (Green Bay) that was wrecked by turnovers and pass protection issues.

It all adds up to 2-3 — maybe a play or two away from 4-1 but also a play or two away from 1-4 or even 0-5.

“We can make the case that the record should be better than it is,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s where it is right now, and we have to focus on the next opponent.”

The next opponent, on Oct. 25 at the Edward Jones Dome, is Cleveland with a 2-3 record entering its game Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

After the opening five games in which Rams opponents currently have a combined record of 16-9, starting with the Browns the Rams’ next five opponents are a combined 8-16.

In fact, of the 11 remaining games on the Rams’ schedule only two contests are against teams that have winning records at this point — Cincinnati (5-0), on the road on Nov. 29, followed by a rematch at home against Arizona seven days later (Dec. 6).

Before the Rams broke for a long bye weekend Thursday afternoon, Fisher was asked about the schedule being lighter over the final two-thirds of the season and the possibilities that might present for his team. Suffice to say he wanted no part of the question, swatting it away like Robert Quinn batting down a pass.

“Put the Cleveland tape on and watch them play against Baltimore,” Fisher said. “None of that matters. It’s a week-to-week thing. Josh (McCown, the Cleveland quarterback) played really good against a solid Baltimore defense and put numbers up. It was impressive. We’ve got our work cut out.”

Journeyman McCown threw for 457 yards against the Ravens last weekend, leading the Browns to a 33-30 overtime victory.

Of course, the tape also will show a Browns team that gave up 181 yards rushing and 5.8 yards per carry to Baltimore. It’s a Browns team that ranks 30th in the league in total defense and 31st in rushing defense.

Todd Gurley, that’s your cue.

So on paper, Fisher’s words of caution not withstanding, the Rams have a favorable schedule over the final 11 games. It’s a schedule littered with winnable games for a team that can play with consistency, focus, intensity, and discipline.

Actually, consistency, focus, intensity, and discipline are qualities that have eluded the Rams on a week-to-week basis since Fisher took over as their coach in 2012.

It’s something of which Rams veterans are well aware.

“I’m not a big fan of the whole ‘on-paper’ thing,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said.

It has led to many a sharp paper cut for the Rams over the years. The fact that nine of the Rams’ remaining 11 foes have .500 or worse records means nothing to Laurinaitis.

“I know how talented these teams are,” he said. “Quite frankly, the next one’s the only one that matters. So I’ll be studying Cleveland extensively just because I know what they’re capable of.”

He also knows how talented the 2015 Rams are, and what they’re capable of — more talented than any Rams team he’s been on since being drafted in 2009.

“Our roster on paper from top to bottom is by far the most talented team,” Laurinaitis said. “And I think that we’re playing well. It’s just one week at a time.

“Hopefully, you stack up some really good weeks, and at the end of the year you’re looking back and saying, ‘All right, let’s get in that dance. Let’s get in that tournament.’

“We’ve got a ways to go but the potential’s here.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Put the Cleveland tape on and watch them play against Baltimore,” Fisher said. “None of that matters. It’s a week-to-week thing. Josh (McCown, the Cleveland quarterback) played really good against a solid Baltimore defense and put numbers up. It was impressive. We’ve got our work cut out.”

Hauntingly familiar to what Fish said about Cousins just before the Rams made him look like Joe Montana. Makes me nervous. Well, that plus the fact Fish can't get this team up for a game they "should" win yet.

Got my fingers crossed of course that this team is gonna be different. We'll see.

jap

Legend
They have a chance now to consolidate their identity as a rushing powerhouse now with TGII and they face the weaker part of the schedule. This includes Todd's teammates learning how to play off the distraction to the defense he provides. Tavon already has a head-start in that regard, and he can expand on that even more. Our other RB's and the fly boys at WR/TE need to get on-board the Gurley Express! too. Nick and his coaches can expand his P/A repertoire to include the shogun. We will end up with a dominating ball control offense, punctuated occasionally by long runs and long passes depending on whether the opposing D over presses against the Gurley Man or not. It's been a while since the Rams have had a truly dominating RB presence, and they need to make the most of it. The Express! goes beyond Steven Jackson in Eric "the Great" Dickerson performance territory, and, when Todd expands his receiving game, he may venture into the Marshall Plan zone as well.

All of this nascent offensive fireworks will pay huge dividends to our defense who should benefit from extra rest time to recharge their collective batteries. Even if we score on a long bomb or a coast-to-coast Gurley run, a TD seems to provide extra life to defensive legs. With the ever-dangerous Tavon back to field punts, we should do well with field positioning as opposing punters either shorten the field by kicking out-of-bounds to avoid a Tavon run-back, over over kick it into the end-zone and have it brought back out to our 20-yard line.

Barring injury, I fully expect to have TGII wrap up the Offensive Rookie of the Year honors with and outside chance of MVP or Offensive Player of the Year honors (or both!) depending on how the team collects itself for a playoff/championship run, especially when that damn brace finally comes off.

Please understand, I don't want the brace off while it is really serving its purpose in guarding Todd's knee from undue injury risks. However, I can feel Todd's frustration at not being all he can be with the brace hampering him from achieving warp speed territory.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Haven't the Rams sucked after the bye week under Fisher? This could very well be a big loss against the Browns.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thru the first half of this^ piece I thought, 'OK, JT is keeping a low profile, and Not showing his "GRUDGE" against Fisher and the Rams.' THEN "BOOM!!!" It returns to his usual self!
He MAY have some small valid points, but, when it comes to ever writing a positive up-beat piece about the Rams, " IT AINT NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!" He's is obviously going to carry his grudge to the grave!!

image-54fcc7d4623b6-137335.jpg

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The Browns may have poor stats against giving up run yards BUT as the stats against us are skewed ,The Browns will load the box to stop Gurley and WE WILL HAVE TO BE ABLE TO THROW AND CATCH THE FOOTBALL. The Browns could have beaten Manning and the Broncos . The Vikings nor Bengals will be a win we won't have to both play our VERY BEST game to get a W.

This lighter schedule is a JOKE. There is NO EASY GAME in this years NFL that has such parity and Highs and Lows that swing wildly. If EVER one game at a time was legit its this year and the Whiners will play us VERY,VERY tough. A winning record with constant injuries and missing Alec Ogletree as Ayers has a ways to come to even help to fill any part of AO's shoes. Don't think Barron and Chase together can take half the slack either. Things will get tougher on the defense that beat the pigeons and deadbirds . Now its time the OL stood up to get the "O" finally on a path to growth and positive things. Like maybe a 100 yard WR game?

The other question is will consistency finally raise its head this season? Need a Great week of practice and a Great scheme just loaded with new things for the Browns . Get well Chris Long . Hayes and Sims play your best next 4 games as we need our attacking front four. When healthy NO team can stop a Fired Up Aaron Donald and Brockers combination. Lots of hard hitting ahead from these so called EASY games.:pillowfight:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JT Talks Rams’ Favorable Upcoming Schedule + Areas of Improvement

Rams beat writer Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Wendy’s Big Show on Monday to discuss several team-related topics as they prepare for a manageable slate of games over the next month.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

On the Rams' immediate upcoming schedule, which contains some "winnable" games:

"The final two-thirds of the schedule, it really lightens up. The final 11 games, almost all of them are games on paper that are 'winnable' games. Only three of the 11 games are against teams with winning records. There's an opportunity to get some victories and get themselves into an NFL West race that has tightened up...because Seattle and Arizona...both lost."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Here's their chance to show they're ready to take it to level we've been waiting for. Beat the teams you're supposed to beat. Do that and I'm a believer.

So far they haven't reached that. Beat seahags at home and stink it up the next week. If they really believe they're legit they can't keep playing like that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm not being a ' Homer' when I say this, but I Honestly think we can WIN the next 5 in a row, and if we do that, I see no reason we can't go 9-2 minimum the rest of the season!!:D

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's their chance to show they're ready to take it to level we've been waiting for. Beat the teams you're supposed to beat. Do that and I'm a believer.

So far they haven't reached that. Beat seahags at home and stink it up the next week. If they really believe they're legit they can't keep playing like that.
Yup... time to prove it on every play, every game.

Athos

Legend
Only thing I quibble with is........

That Ravens D ain't good, Fish.

25th in yards/game allowed.
27th in pass yards/game
8th in rush yards/game (their only good stat)
27th in pts/game at 27.

I can see them tanking this year for draft position. That D needs major work and they need an offensive weapon.