After making impact play in Super Bowl LIII, Franklin-Myers looking to improve for 2019 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After making impact play in Super Bowl LIII, Franklin-Myers looking to improve for 2019 season
https://www.therams.com/news/after-...owl-liii-franklin-myers-looking-to-improve-fo
By Myles Simmons

If you followed the Rams throughout the 2018 season, you likely know that Los Angeles’ rookie class didn’t really have too much to do throughout the year.

And that’s not a knock on the team’s 2018 draft class, which began with two offensive lineman in tackle Joe Noteboom and center Brian Allen — both of whom are set up for success as their careers go forward.

njtgm9vvh10h5lhl4oo3.jpg

But fourth-round pick John Fanklin-Myers played in all 16 of Los Angeles’ regular-season games this year, utilized in a rotational role on the defensive line. In 30 percent of the Rams’ defensive snaps, Franklin-Myers recorded 2.0 sacks with a forced fumble and a fumble recovery — earning the team’s Rookie of the Year award for his efforts.

And then came Super Bowl LIII, where Franklin-Myers was to be essentially the only rookie scheduled to be on the field as a contributor on offense or defense. He said during the week before the game that playing against quarterback Tom Brady would be surreal to him.

“That’s what you look forward to as a kid. So you finally get this opportunity, and as a rookie I think it kind of means more to me being able to do it so soon in my career, and just getting that chance to play him — a guy who’s the best quarterback to ever play the game,” Franklin-Myers told therams.com.

The rookie played only seven snaps on Sunday, but he made the most of them — becoming the first player to sack Brady in the postseason. Plus, he got the ball out, giving Los Angeles a chance at a takeaway.“It felt good,” Franklin-Myers said of the play on Tuesday. “Again, that was a dream that I’ve been having since I can remember. So I got a chance to do that and I think everybody was happier than I was. Sucks that we didn’t get the outcome, but that was a positive in the game.”

Really, Franklin-Myers’ entire season was full of positives. But this was a play that could launch him into a potentially larger role in his second season with L.A. He knows he still has a lot of work to do, though.“I think it’s a start. You’ve got to start somewhere and making a play like that I think, again, it helps show the coaches that I kind of — maybe I belong here. Maybe I mean business — I don’t know,” Franklin-Myers said. “What ever it does, I think it helps me. It’s not a negative.“But, I mean, I’ve got a lot to learn, a lot to improve on. So I’m not going to really focus on that sack as much as I am just improving every day.”

There’s just over two months until the offseason program begins in mid-April. So what would Franklin-Myers most like to improve in that time?“Maybe my physicality. Maybe get stronger, quicker,” Franklin-Myers said. “But for sure just work on just that grit, that determination that maybe I didn’t have as much of. So I think that’s the biggest thing for me.”

As long as the Stephen F. Austin product continues to work and improve, he should be making plays like the one he made in Super Bowl LIII for years to come.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Franklin-Myers is an interesting case. His measurables are nothing special. And his technique is not superlative when you watch the tape. Yet, he consistently makes plays, big games and small, to the point where I am not so sure you can just write it off anymore as being a small size. He needs more snaps next year for the chance to truly grow and develop. We might just have found a diamond in the rough. Plenty of players have become stars in this league across all positions and roles despite only middling mesurables, not "looking the part", etc. Maybe JFM tails off when opponents have more film on him to study. Or maybe we get an impact DE - not a guy who will ever rival Robert Quinn when he was playing at a high level, but perhaps a William Hayes. Only one way to find out.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
A good young player with versatility to play edge and interior. I'm excited to see what he can do in year 2.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think JFM will be that player who'll make plays when OCs sleep on him but will be easily neutralized if schemed on.

I'm interested in seeing his progression along with Obo next season.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
If he stays healthy and improves his technique I think JFM will have a big 2nd season for us. Just leave him at the 5tech and stop trying to use him as an OLB

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think JFM will be that player who'll make plays when OCs sleep on him but will be easily neutralized if schemed on.

I'm interested in seeing his progression along with Obo next season.
But they always have to scheme on AD, so he'll likely skip through the cracks now often than not.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stephen F Austin keeps getting The Rams to the Super bowl

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Franklin-Myers is an interesting case. Maybe JFM tails off when opponents have more film on him to study. Or maybe we get an impact DE - not a guy who will ever rival Robert Quinn when he was playing at a high level, but perhaps a William Hayes. Only one way to find out.
Yes, he reminds me of a bigger W Hayes....hope he has that motor like Hayes...then he will be a quality starter.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he stays healthy and improves his technique I think JFM will have a big 2nd season for us. Just leave him at the 5tech and stop trying to use him as an OLB
I agree. I think that when we start getting information & reports early in TC this summer, JF-M will have completely outgrown all his OLB'er uniforms. I expect him to come in a beefed & cut 295-300 lb range. Ready to be the complete DL for Wade. JF-M will be our starting 5 tech DE in 2019 if he remains healthy. I like this big kid a lot. Great 4th round selection by Snead.

JFM also lets Wade keep Brockers as the main starting NT thus earning that big $11 million cap hit. Otherwise, if Demoff & Snead are you looking for some cap relief then having two DL'ers like JFM & MB playing the same position is a waste of $$$. MB might end up a cut.

Last edited: