After arrival of Rams, TV ratings decline in LA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I hope this is a wake up call to Demoff. They've been putting a bad product on the field for over a decade, now they are in a market where the fan has options and won't blindly support the team. They need to make things right and put a winning product on the field or else their new palace will be half empty.

Also why would the NFL allow the Chargers to move to LA? Why not keep LA a one team town and let them put down roots with the fan base. Makes no sense to put 2 teams in that market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...al-of-rams-tv-ratings-decline-in-los-angeles/

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how this esteemed journalist left out some very important facts in his effort to bash the LA Rams fans. NFL suffered an 8% drop in TV ratings nationwide. LA only suffered a 3.6% drop. Clearly the arrival of the Rams is the reason for the decline of the NFL TV ratings in LA or maybe the ratings are down because of the 80k+ at games those 8 weeks they were home. This is garbage journalism with an agenda pay it no heed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Funny how this esteemed journalist left out some very important facts in his effort to bash the LA Rams fans. NFL suffered an 8% drop in TV ratings nationwide. LA only suffered a 3.6% drop. Clearly the arrival of the Rams is the reason for the decline of the NFL TV ratings in LA or maybe the ratings are down because of the 80k+ at games those 8 weeks they were home. This is garbage journalism with an agenda pay it no heed.
I agree 10000% OldSchool!! you beat me to making these exact comments!! But consider the source "Nothing But Crap" Broadcasting!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hope this is a wake up call to Demoff. They've been putting a bad product on the field for over a decade, now they are in a market where the fan has options and won't blindly support the team. They need to make things right and put a winning product on the field or else their new palace will be half empty.

Also why would the NFL allow the Chargers to move to LA? Why not keep LA a one team town and let them put down roots with the fan base. Makes no sense to put 2 teams in that market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...al-of-rams-tv-ratings-decline-in-los-angeles/
Spanos has always been a good boy when it comes to league owners. They like him for some reason.

As far as LA. I'm not sure he wants LA, but he wanted So Cal all to himself. He started the Carson project to keep Kroenke out of LA. He may be claiming he will shack up with Kroenke to keep the Raiders out in the same fashion.
If he wants to stay in San Diego, he has options. Just not in down town San Diego.
I think Spanos will do what ever it takes to keep the Raiders out of So Cal.
The guy needs to worry more about making his team better and stop jacking everyone around.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You da man!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
What they need to do is actually list the number of viewers , compared to other cities

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everyone knows LA loves a winner. It's a fact there, and California at large as the 9ers have seen, that if you don't win fans find other things to do. Not exactly a newsflash.

And then of course you see Demoff actually doing something about it. He has fired the coach. He is probably going to fire the GM and some of the front office guys before this is all over. What more do they want???

This is why the key to this hire is getting the right coach, vice the big splash, and Demoff has said as much. Splash means nothing to LA, it is a media-driven bunch of BS. Fans want wins. Period. Win, and all is fixed in LA.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Everyone knows LA loves a winner. It's a fact there, and California at large as the 9ers have seen, that if you don't win fans find other things to do. Not exactly a newsflash.

And then of course you see Demoff actually doing something about it. He has fired the coach. He is probably going to fire the GM and some of the front office guys before this is all over. What more do they want???

This is why the key to this hire is getting the right coach, vice the big splash, and Demoff has said as much. Splash means nothing to LA, it is a media-driven bunch of BS. Fans want wins. Period. Win, and all is fixed in LA.

Yeah, I've heard some say Kroenke doesn't care about winning. I think recent events dispute that claim. You can't say they're not trying. At the time Fisher was considered a good hire and Kroenke even opened up the check book to lure him while Miami was strongly courting him.

We can debate whether or not Fisher was a bad hire but its clear Kroenke and Demoff want to win badly. The investment in LA is huge. They aren't relying on public funds. They know they have to win in order to make this whole venture a success. Whether or not they do it right, they're definitely trying their hardest to win.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Spanos will do what ever it takes to keep the Raiders out of So Cal.
If true, he better not move to LA....Because there will be so much silver and black at his HOME games vs. the Raiders, he'll swear he's in Oakland.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ironic those going on and on about St. Louis support the last couple seasons are now having to defend themselves for the same reasons.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ironic those going on and on about St. Louis support the last couple seasons are now having to defend themselves for the same reasons.
Interesting how you make this out to affect St Louis somehow (also that the original story came from St Louis). The NFL is down in television ratings by 8% and LA is down less than half that. I'm curious how that's a negative for LA and how that affects St Louis? Though one thing OP didn't include in his comments and PFT didn't either though it's in the original article is that St Louis Fox affiliate dropped from a 13.4 to an 8.8 while LA dropped from an 8.3 to an 8.0.

For most people though this isn't an LA vs St Louis discussion. Ironic that only one side of such a discussion is making it one. I can't wait for the day this petty garbage is over.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Were those early numbers really ever sustainable

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting how you make this out to affect St Louis somehow (also that the original story came from St Louis). The NFL is down in television ratings by 8% and LA is down less than half that. I'm curious how that's a negative for LA and how that affects St Louis? Though one thing OP didn't include in his comments and PFT didn't either though it's in the original article is that St Louis Fox affiliate dropped from a 13.4 to an 8.8 while LA dropped from an 8.3 to an 8.0.

For most people though this isn't an LA vs St Louis discussion. Ironic that only one side of such a discussion is making it one. I can't wait for the day this petty garbage is over.
The Rams were supposed to bring ratings up in LA due to them having a team. The Rams poor and boring play actually had a reverse affect. The Rams move actually lowered the TV ratings in two cities. That's not good no matter how you slice it. As a St Louisan I absolutely do not blame or cast stones at LA fans. The Rams have done nothing to earn support. I do however feel those who were crapping on St Louis fans for not filling the dome for a crap product and an owner who wanted to move the team owes St Louis an apology. Bottom line the Rams have been the worst orginazation in the NFL over the last 10 years and they should be grateful that they have any fans to start with.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams were supposed to bring ratings up in LA due to them having a team.

According to who and who cares?

The Rams poor and boring play actually had a reverse affect. The Rams move actually lowered the TV ratings in two cities. That's not good no matter how you slice it.

And in Los Angeles those ratings declined at a slower rate than the rest of the country as an average yet this article was written to trash the people of LA and the Rams.

I do however feel those who were crapping on St Louis fans for not filling the dome

And I was right there with you, the move wasn't about the fans and a lack of support.

for a crap product and an owner who wanted to move the team owes St Louis an apology.

Good luck with the apology, I do hope we can get over this LA vs St Louis crap before that apology comes.

Bottom line the Rams have been the worst orginazation in the NFL over the last 10 years and they should be grateful that they have any fans to start with.

Personally I don't want fans who only root for the same team as me because they win. Those are what we call 49er fans who are currently sitting on their couches rooting for the Raiders or waiting to root for the Cowboys. And if you only go back 9 years the Browns and Jaguars take the prize. There have been a lot of teams that have sucked over the last decade. At least we Rams fans have a Super Bowl win.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to who and who cares?

And in Los Angeles those ratings declined at a slower rate than the rest of the country as an average yet this article was written to trash the people of LA and the Rams.

And I was right there with you, the move wasn't about the fans and a lack of support.

Good luck with the apology, I do hope we can get over this LA vs St Louis crap before that apology comes.

Personally I don't want fans who only root for the same team as me because they win. Those are what we call 49er fans who are currently sitting on their couches rooting for the Raiders or waiting to root for the Cowboys. And if you only go back 9 years the Browns and Jaguars take the prize. There have been a lot of teams that have sucked over the last decade. At least we Rams fans have a Super Bowl win.
The league wanted a team in LA to boost ratings for their new TV deal coming up. LA got a new team and the ratings declined. Who cares that it was at a slower rate. LA got a new NFL team and ratings were better when they didn't have a team. That is no way good. I never made an LA vs St Louis thing. People did crap on St Louis when we didn't deserve it. LA doesn't deserved to be crapped on either, the Rams do. They have failed to draw fans.

Psycho_X

Legend

My comment didn't have anything to do with any of what you just said. Just simply that there were plenty of people here, other sites, and the media pointing out and using these exact stories last season against St. Louis and those people are now defending and using excuses for LA. It is ironic. And there have been plenty of articles and pics from la media before and during the games this season pointing out how many empties there were... just like was happening last season in St. Louis. It is ironic.

For most people though this isn't an LA vs St Louis discussion. Ironic that only one side of such a discussion is making it one. I can't wait for the day this petty garbage is over

For me it isn't LA vs St. Louis, it is Kroenke, Demoff, and media vs. the fans. Blowing stupid shit out of proportion to put down whole areas for the purpose of moving their agendas for money when their problem before and STILL is their product. I just want to win games for a god damn change. I want to be entertained by the product on the field not be talked down to by ownership or the media while watching what we've watched the last fifteen years.

Either way, what i said has nothing to do with anything other than it is ironic. But it goes away pretty easy... quit being losers.