After 15 seasons in Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis is moving on.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/17/report-marvin-lewis-to-leave-bengals-after-season/

Marvin Lewis to leave Bengals after season
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2017

889487200-e1513523912879.jpg

Getty Images

Lewis will leave the Bengals after this season, ESPN reported this morning.

That’s no surprise: Lewis did a good job turning the Bengals around early in his tenure in Cincinnati, but more recently he has struggled, with two straight losing seasons. And Lewis still hasn’t won a playoff game.

But the ESPN report suggested that it’s more Lewis who wants to move on from the Bengals than the Bengals who want to move on from Lewis. One sticking point, according to the report, is that Lewis believes his assistants have been “treated unfairly financially.” Bengals owner Mike Brown has been accused of pinching pennies in the past, and the report indicates that Lewis and the coaching staff are sick of it.

It’s unclear whether Lewis could coach anywhere else in 2018, or who the Bengals may hire. But it looks like for the first time since Dick LeBeau was fired after the 2002 season, Cincinnati is looking for a new head coach.

tempests

Hall of Fame
One HC lasting 15 years without producing a playoff win is a record that may never be broken. Marvin's Bengals were the league's biggest underachievers since Peyton's Colts.

Lewis once "earned" a contract extension after a 4-12 season. Never could understand how some guys get such a long leash for doing nothing while other coaches are more successful but lose their jobs after one losing season.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Lewis and Fisher to Cleveland, confirmed

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One HC lasting 15 years without producing a playoff win is a record that may never be broken. Marvin's Bengals were the league's biggest underachievers since Peyton's Colts.
Ouch!

It's tough to win in the AFC north....Pitt has owned that division for quite a while...probably due to Big Ben.

I actually think Marv has done a good job....he tied his hitch to Andy Dalton....and Andy is Andy....nothing special...red rifle and all.

Oh yeah, late edit

Getting rid of Sanu and Marvin Jones didn't help...Andy or Marvin

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
D@mn!!!! One year too late, Marv! ~LACHAMP46

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Watching his team right now, I wouldn't blame him if he walked at halftime...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/17/report-marvin-lewis-to-leave-bengals-after-season/

Marvin Lewis to leave Bengals after season
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2017

889487200-e1513523912879.jpg

Getty Images

Lewis will leave the Bengals after this season, ESPN reported this morning.

That’s no surprise: Lewis did a good job turning the Bengals around early in his tenure in Cincinnati, but more recently he has struggled, with two straight losing seasons. And Lewis still hasn’t won a playoff game.

But the ESPN report suggested that it’s more Lewis who wants to move on from the Bengals than the Bengals who want to move on from Lewis. One sticking point, according to the report, is that Lewis believes his assistants have been “treated unfairly financially.” Bengals owner Mike Brown has been accused of pinching pennies in the past, and the report indicates that Lewis and the coaching staff are sick of it.

It’s unclear whether Lewis could coach anywhere else in 2018, or who the Bengals may hire. But it looks like for the first time since Dick LeBeau was fired after the 2002 season, Cincinnati is looking for a new head coach.
I for one am not surprised! He proved he couldn't Win in the Playoff's!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
15 seasons and Marv coached his ass of with the NFL talent he had.

Marvin Lewis is a "class act" and will hopefully be remembered as an underrated respected NFL head coach.

Even with his playoff history record, he did tons with the talent that the front office and GM gave him to work with.

This cat will be judged by his playoff victories the same way Marty Schottenheimer was. I'm not innocent and I've bashed him a few times for his post season failure but this news today kind of made me rethink his coaching ability.

Some of Lewis' and Schottenheimer's failures in the post season were defiantly on them, but these are two NFL head coaches that I will always respect and believe they were better than their post season records.

Underrated.png

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Mutual agreement to move on means: You're done here but we'll let you save face by making it a retirement thing...

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Why are they even showing the Minny/Cincy game on TV?? It's the only game on here...I'm shutting it off and going out to breakfast. Freak you NFL and your TV ratings...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
D@mn!!!! One year too late, Marv! ~LACHAMP46
You give Marv our talent.....watch the fuck out!
Some of Lewis' and Schottenheimer's failures in the post season were defiantly on them
Totally agree....but when they started raiding him of assistants....
Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson....and I know I'm missing one coach on his staff....Can't lose quality assistant coaches and remain on top....

Still baffled why his defense doesn't play better.