Adrian Peterson to the Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-saints-doesnt-make-much-sense-for-peterson/

Adrian Peterson to Saints doesn’t make much sense, for Peterson
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2017

blogspan-e1493065787624.jpg
Getty Images

It’s obvious why the Saints would want Adrian Peterson. It’s not obvious why Adrian Peterson would want the Saints. Unless, of course, no one else wants Peterson.

But even if no other team currently is offering Peterson $3 million or so per year, his likely role (Mark Ingram reportedly would still be the lead back) and the perceived ability of the team to help Peterson finish his career with a Super Bowl win (the Saints have three straight 7-9 seasons in a division that produced the last two NFC champions) suggests that Peterson’s better move would be to watch and to wait. Injuries are inevitable, especially at the tailback position.

If a short-list contender loses its starting running back for an extended stretch (like the Vikings did last year in Week Two when Peterson tore a meniscus), Peterson instantly has leverage along with an opportunity to become a key contributor for a team that could be playing in February.

But it’s possible that the Saints have put the hard sell on Peterson, with coach Asshole Face and quarterback Drew Brees persuading Peterson that the Saints may be ready to party like it’s 2009, the season that saw New Orleans take down Peterson and the Vikings en route to a Super Bowl victory.

Regardless, the decision seems a little hasty from Peterson’s perspective. While that could be end up being very good for the Saints, it could end up being a mistake for the player.
Well, If it doesn't make sense to ' Mike Florio' who am I to argue!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think its obvious nobody else wanted him. And at 3 mill per, Saints can afford to split carries, and not commit 200+ carries for him

Psycho_X

Legend

Funny tweet I saw but true, which is why this doesn't make sense to me. Payton has never seemed too committed to a RB and likes the committee approach. But I guess AP is fine with that as long as it's the highest bidder.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't Dunbar get 3 mill per year? Or was that the max if all conditions are met.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure why you guys are so hard on AP for this move. The Saints O is still one of the best in the league. Brees can still punish most defences - they've only improved an area of their O. Having AP spot Ingram is a huge benefit! Imagine if we had AP BEHIND Gurley on our roster!?!

The Saints have a bevy of picks in the draft 5 in the top 103 - they can re-invent their D this year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...grees-to-two-year-7-million-deal-with-saints/

Report: Adrian Peterson agrees to two-year, $7 million deal with Saints
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on April 25, 2017

489581038-e1487957615880.jpg
Getty Images

Adrian Peterson will be playing in the Minnesota Vikings season opener this September. He’ll just be doing so for the team on the opposite sidelines.

Peterson reportedly told Josina Anderson of ESPN.com that he has agreed to a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints worth a total of $7 million.

Peterson also gave the full details of the contract as well. The deal is a one-year contract to start with an option for a second year for New Orleans. Peterson will earn $3.5 million in fully guaranteed money this season with a $2.5 million signing bonus and $1 million in guaranteed base salary.

His 2018 option would carry $3.5 million in non-guaranteed money with $2.4 million in roster bonuses. The $3.5 million comes from $1.05 million in base salary, $1.65 million in per game roster bonuses, a $750,000 roster bonus that triggers on the third day of the league year and a $50,000 workout bonus.

Incentives also exist that could raise the total value of the contract.

With those parameters in place, Peterson would carry a salary cap charge of $2.25 million this year for the Saints and a $4.75 million total charge in 2018.

The Saints currently have $8.5 million in salary cap space according to the NFLPA database.

New Orleans is set to visit Peterson’s former team on Monday Night Football to open the 2017 season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RB at 32, coming off a season ending injury... even with the resume of AP... I'm not sure I'd want him for much more than the minimum.

He was a great player and I hope he does well. I just wouldn't wager on it.

Good luck, Saints.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
My brother is a die hard Saints fan so i do follow them more than any other non Ram team. This is a weird move...i get that they lose Hightower and that Ingram has a history of being injured...but AP doesnt fit IMO. Hes not particularly good at catching passes out of the backfield and not a great pass blocker. A running back with the skill set of our own Benny Cunningham wouldve been a better fit for them.