Add Nathaniel Hackett to the OC list...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No interviews yet, but sources indicate both Kyle Shanahan and Nathaniel Hackett are on the radar for Rams OC job.</p>&mdash; Jim Thomas (@jthom1) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/jthom1/status/554731626916110336
">January 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
After the first game of his where the offense is bad, there's sure to be at least one thread titled "He Just Can't Hackett!"

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Not sure the interest here...I know the Bills had QB issues, but he certainly did not seem to improve them.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sticking with the "I'll take sons of former NFL coaches for $500 Alex"

FRO

Legend
Bills fans hated him. All fans hate their OC though. The Buffalo offense wasn't that great in 2014.

iced

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9474/nathaniel-hackett

Nathaniel Hackett - C - Bills
In addition to Kyle Shanahan, Bills in-limbo OC Nathaniel Hackett is "on the radar" for the Rams' offensive coordinator vacancy.

St. Louis' interest in Shanahan is known, and would be excellent news for Tre Mason. Hackett is a bright offensive mind who was rumored to be held back by Doug Marrone in Buffalo. His Bills offenses obviously weren't prolific with poor quarterback play. He might be able to spread his wings a bit in St. Louis.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
God help us if it's Hackett. Please let that be a courtesy interview.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/12/30/bills-hackett-focuses-on-positives-not-future/

Nathaniel Hackett grew up in the household of an NFL offensive coordinator, so he was well aware of all of the pressure that goes with the job before experiencing it first-hand.

His father, Paul, spent nine of his 42 seasons as a football coach running the offenses of the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets.

Nathaniel never will forget what he witnessed the day after the Chiefs, who had finished the regular season with an NFL-best 13-3 record, suffered a 10-7 playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

“I remember going to school and there was a petition to try to get my father fired,” Hackett recalled. “Oh, it was horrible. It was nonstop.”

How did his father react?

“He would just laugh because there are so many things that people don’t see,” Hackett said. “As long as you focus on that as a coach and you know that you’re doing the right thing and you know that it’s there, that we just have to keep getting better, then that’s all you can do. Because the minute that you focus on the other things, then that’s when you start believing what people are saying. And then that affects you, it affects your job and you can’t do as well.”

That lesson is coming in handy as Hackett, who just finished his second season as the Buffalo Bills’ offensive coordinator, follows in his father’s footsteps.

Plenty of people have had plenty to say about the job he has done, and most of it is negative. They didn’t like the fact the Bills ranked 26th in the NFL in total offense, 25th in rushing, and 18th in passing on the way to a 15th consecutive non-playoff season. They blasted Hackett for being too predictable with his play-calling and for not doing enough to maximize the production of the Bills’ offensive weapons and for helping to waste the performance of the league’s fourth-ranked defense.

They see Hackett, who turned 35 earlier this month, as lacking the necessary experience to be an effective NFL offensive coordinator. They consider Doug Marrone’s decision to bring Hackett along from his Syracuse University staff when Marrone became the Bills’ coach in 2013 as a rookie mistake.

Hackett has heard it all, including calls for his firing.

“And if that’s what people think, that’s totally their opinion,” he said. “You’re always going to be frustrated, and I don’t blame the fans. They want to win. It’s been 15 years. I’m frustrated, and I’ve only been here for two of those years.

“And that’s the best part about the game. It’s a reality TV show. Everybody wants to point fingers, find somebody” to blame. “And you know what? Hey, if I’m that guy, that’s me.

“There’s a lot of times I wish I could throw it, I wish I could catch it, I wish I could block it, I wish I could do all that stuff. It probably would be a lot uglier, but you just keep your head down and you just keep working hard and you hope that people see the good that does come with it.”

What was the good?

Hackett points to the Bills’ passing statistics, some of the best of the last 10 years, achieved despite shortcomings in other areas of the offense and the transition at quarterback after four games from EJ Manuel to Kyle Orton, who announced his retirement Monday.

“With our ability to pass the ball, we gave ourselves more opportunities to put ourselves in position to win games,” Hackett said. “We were in games, we were able to move the ball, we did some good things. And we did win more games,” than last season, “and the defense was very good last year, too.”

Still, the climb from 6-10 to 9-7, while significant, hasn’t exactly left the fan base feeling that the team has all of the necessary ingredients to take the next step to playoff contention.

The defense is clearly built for a postseason run, but questions linger about the offense.

Who will play quarterback?

How will the offensive line be upgraded?

What can be done to improve the atrocious running game?

Will there be a smarter and bolder approach to calling plays?

When Hackett looks back on the offensive failings of the 2014 season, the first thing he sees is self-inflicted wounds.

“I think it’s us killing ourselves,” he said. “You look at penalties, you look at turnovers in critical situations. There are just times we would hurt ourselves from lack of execution or just not making a play, not finishing it, something like that.

“I think a lot of the opportunities were there, and it’s not capitalizing on them, whether we had a guy open and missed it or whether it was something up front or whether we dropped it. I think it was more us just beating ourselves. We keep going back” over the videotape “and you sit there and go, ‘Man, it’s right there for us. We just never took it.’

“We never had that mentality to just go get it, get after it and go.”

Hackett insists that he doesn’t allow the struggles or the criticism to get him down for very long. One of the best antidotes is calling upon the wisdom of his father, with whom he speaks regularly.

“What my dad told me was just work harder than everybody in the building, just keep your head down, keep chopping wood,” he said. “Be positive with the players, because when we’re in here with these guys, it’s about them being good on the field. They’re a reflection of me. And as long as I’m always upbeat and trying to get them going and fired up, that’s all I can do.”

Christmas provided a nice sense of perspective for Hackett.

Marrone gave his assistant coaches and players the day off, having them instead work on Tuesday in preparation for last Sunday’s season-finale against New England.

For Hackett, it was the first time in six months he was able to spend quality time with his wife and their four children.

His 6-year-old son kept him busy with a Fisher Price bow-and-arrow set.

His 5- and 2-year-old daughters modeled princess costumes.

Asked if he was worried about his future with the Bills, Hackett said, “No. I can only control what I can control. If I get a chance to be here again, I want to be here and I want to do everything I can and work harder than everybody in the building like I always feel like I do and help the guys get better and better. Whatever change happens, it happens.”

Fullback Corey Knox, a Buffalo native who played one season at the University at Buffalo, and tight end Chris Manhertz, who played basketball at Canisius College, joined the Bills on Tuesday as reserve/future signings.

Knox, 25, played at UB in 2011, helping running back Branden Oliver to rush for 1,395 yards and 13 touchdowns. Knox previously attended Midland Lutheran College in Fremont, Neb., where he participated in track.

Manhertz, 22, played basketball for the Golden Griffins from 2010-2014.

The New York native and three-time team captain averaged 6.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, and led the team in rebounding for three successive years.

email: vcarucci@buffnews.com

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I know absolutely nothing about this guy other than his name makes me picture he looks something like this.

webheadshot.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bil...nes_support_thinks_offense_needs_continu.html

Orchard Park, N.Y. ^ Nathaniel Hackett almost seemed surprised when he heard it.

Hackett isn't much for the outside noise. He spends more time focusing on his job than what people are saying about how he's doing his job. Given the criticism he's gotten in 2014, that's been a sound approach. But on Thursday, Bills coach Doug Marrone defended Hackett from the criticism and took the blame for the offense's struggles.

"He did?" Hackett said. "Well, that's nice of him, but we're all one team. It's everybody together. It's never one guy. It's not coach Marrone, it's not me, it's not the players, it's all of us together. I think we have to just keep working together to keep get better."

But regardless of blame, how do they get better? Generally that question is met with answers from Marrone or players about executing better, which doesn't do much to answer the question of what's going wrong. Earlier in the week, rookie wide receiver Sammy Watkins sat in silence for a few seconds when asked the questions before conceding he didn't know what was going wrong.

Hackett thinks the offense is closer than people realize, and that's what frustrates him.

"I think the big thing is always going to be continuity," Hackett said. "It's all right there for those guys. I think we need the guys that are the playmakers to make plays when they have the opportunity. We need those guys to step up all the time. We need everybody to be consistent. That's the thing that's so rough. There's time when people do things perfect, and then all of a sudden one guy will do something wrong and it'll mess some things up. I think it's just about everybody working together and everybody being more disciplined and everybody just making plays and doing it."

At halftime of the Green Bay game, Hackett said he and the coaching staff emphasized that point to the players. What was happening wasn't good enough and it was time to change it.

"We challenged them a whole bunch going into the second half," Hackett said. "We really looked at it and said, 'Hey guys, it's time to be physical, let's go to work.' And those are times that you look at it and you're like, 'Wow, look at us run the ball, look at us get it.' That what needs to be so more consistent. That needs to happen right out of the gate."

Maybe a Week 16 matchup against the 2-12 Oakland Raiders is just what this offense needs to get back on track.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much like Schotty it effin terrifies me. Please no.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Hackett is bad from what I've seen, I hope we don't end up with him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I really haven't watched enough Buffalo games at that level of detail to know if he's a good, or bad OC.