Adam Schein thinks AZ makes the playoffs in 2013. lol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137077/article/bruce-arians-arizona-cardinals-will-make-the-playoffs-in-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... fs-in-2013</a>

Bruce Arians' Arizona Cardinals will make NFL playoffs in 2013

My editor emailed at 3:18 p.m. ET on Wednesday with a simple request: Give me one team that missed the playoffs in 2012 that will make it in 2013.

I love the Chicago Bears' potential under Marc Trestman. But that's a conventional wisdom take; that's not bold. The New York Giants have future Hall of Famers at coach and quarterback, and I love what GM Jerry Reese did over the past couple days, shedding about $14 million in cap space and retooling the G-Men. Big Blue will be back, but that doesn't pack a punch. Here's something that does:
Harrison: Power Rankings for 2013
Does Baltimore's title run make it the top team in football entering the 2013 offseason? Elliot Harrison weighs in. More ...

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 Arizona Cardinals will make the playoffs.

This is not a piece for shock value. I honestly, truly, deeply believe the Cardinals are going to be the surprise team of the year with the right tweaks along the way. Sit back. I'm about to sell you.

They have the right people running the show.

They now employ the 2012 NFL Coach of the Year.

And yes, they have a great defense.

Do you understand how gigantic the Bruce Arians hire was? There is no hypothetical attached to Arians. You don't have to wonder how the longtime assistant will fare in the head-coaching role. Arians became a head coach last year under the most difficult circumstances -- after Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia -- and handled it with aplomb. The organizational demands that come with being a head coach, the day-to-day dealings, aren't foreign to him. He lived it. He dominated it.

Arians is a winner. He brings the fire, attitude, X's and O's and résumé as an offensive coordinator and reigning head coach of the year. The Indianapolis Colts' nine-win improvement last season was the third-largest turnaround in NFL history.

The Arizona Cardinals won the coaching carousel. And Arians was savvy enough to bring the highly respected Tom Moore -- one of the best offensive minds in football -- out of semi-retirement and onto his staff.

I know: Arians had Andrew Luck, and Moore had Peyton Manning. They have Kevin Kolb in Arizona. But last week in New Orleans, Arians told us on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he was very impressed with Kolb's toughness while taking a beating last year. Kolb has talent, but he needs the line to provide some protection. Arians and Moore are going to coach up and maximize Kolb. They are two of the best offensive coordinators in the NFL over the last 10 years. The Colts finished 10th in the NFL in offense. Yeah, they had Luck, but look at the lack of talent on that offensive line. Arizona boasts a better receiving corps than the one Arians had in Indy. Larry Fitzgerald has to be giddy knowing how Arians throws the ball down field. And there will be a dramatic domino effect on both Andre Roberts and Michael Floyd, too.

Look, there's work to do on Kolb's mentality and play, but Arians and Moore will do it. And there is a building point here. Before Kolb got hurt in Week 6 last year, the Cardinals were 4-1. He rocked steady against the Philadelphia Eagles in a win. He was clutch against the Miami Dolphins. Kevin Kolb beat the New England Patriots.

And at some point, the Cards will add a quarterback, too.

The right coach at the right time matters to change a team's fortunes. As does the right general manager. Steve Keim is one of the most respected personnel guys amongst his peers. He has an amazing eye for talent on both the collegiate and pro levels. Rival executives tell me it was Keim who stumped for the Cardinals to draft Adrian Peterson when Rod Graves instead plucked up Levi Brown. Keim has found several diamonds in the rough in the draft, in addition to being ultra-successful early on. Just take a look at the draft picks Keim has made on defense.
Schein: Memories, sweet memories
In honor of Super Bowl XLVII, Adam Schein picks out XLVII things -- good and bad -- that defined the 2012 campaign. More ...

Yes, the defense ... Darnell Dockett, Calais Campbell and Dan Williams form a dominant line. Daryl Washington had another spectacular season at linebacker with 140 tackles, nine sacks (most by any MLB in the NFL), and 14 tackles for a loss. Simply put, he is one of the best defenders in the league. Patrick Peterson had seven picks. Kerry Rhodes left the Hollywood persona in New York and has become a play-making safety and a consistent player in Arizona. Look at what the Cardinals' defense did to Tom Brady and Matt Ryan last season. This unit ranked fourth in takeaways and second in interceptions. Sure, the architect of that defense, Ray Horton, is gone to Cleveland. But Arians wisely picked up Todd Bowles, a longtime friend who played for Arians at Temple in the 1980s.

Every team has injuries, but Arizona had 17 offensive players combine to miss a whopping 103 games, with nine guys hitting injured reserve. Levi Brown didn't play a game. Home run threat Ryan Williams missed 11. Beanie Wells was out for seven. And Kolb, of course, missed 10, forcing John Skelton and Ryan Lindley into way too much action.

Anything that could've gone wrong went wrong for Ken Whisenhunt's team last year. That won't happen again in 2013.

As one playoff executive said to me, "For an offense that was inept last year, they actually aren't far away. Moore and Arians will help the QB (Kolb). They need to add a running back and solidify the line. Steve knows what he has to do there. The only piece to add on defense maybe is an edge rusher. The defense is loaded. Russ Grimm held that team back. He was a poor offensive line coach. The kids (on the offensive line) who struggled gained experience and the new staff will help."

The division is going to be tough, for sure. In fact, I would argue the NFC West is the best division in pro football, with two legit Super Bowl contenders in the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks, as well as the up-and-coming and well-coached St. Louis Rams.

What do you look for when you're seeking a worst-to-first, Horatio Alger tale in the NFL? I look for coaching. I look for a bright general manager and capable front office (Keim was smart enough to promote Jason Licht). I look for a defense. Sure, I'm concerned about the quarterback right now, but I think Arians and Moore can fix it.

Clip this column. Quote it back to me.

Get on the Cardinals' 2013 playoff train now. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

Anything can happen, but that is an extremely bold prediction considering it's the toughest division in the league. Guess you might as well make it now, so everyone forgets come home opener.

They're going to have to do some major overhauling on that oline to even make a dent imo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: Adam Schein thinks AZ wins the West in 2013. lol

I'm willing to bet all I've got that won't happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I think they have a legit chance..all they need is a Alex Smith type QB or Alex himself..they have a playoff roster already

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BuiltRamTough said:
I think they have a legit chance..all they need is a Alex Smith type QB or Alex himself..they have a playoff roster already

Alex Smith behind a league worst 58 sack and 1,200 rushing offensive line doesn't do anything. Kolb actually played very well for them, but they couldn't keep him upright to save their life.

jap

Legend
It's a brand new upcoming season: hope springs eternal.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Re: Adam Schein thinks AZ wins the West in 2013. lol

CGI_Ram said:

Even the deed to ROD? :shock:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:

All I possess.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:

All I possess.

Careful who you bet. I don't wanna be stuck with some numbnut who has a stake in my board.

If you bet a 9er fan, and lose, I'll have to kill you both dead too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Offensive Line is a mess, their running game is much to be desired as well because they have RB's that get hurt quite often. The defense will not be as good under DC Todd Bowles as it was under Ray Horton and although I wish Bruce Arians the best I think he will have the worst record out of all the other coaches that were hired this year, but that's JMHO.

That's my problem with the "So Called" journalists today like Adam Schein. First off the Cardinals did not get their first choice for Head Coach or even their 2nd choice. They wanted Andy Reid who went to the Chiefs and then Mike McCoy who went to the Chargers...They finally hired Arians and then tried to save face by saying "He was the best candidate all along." Yeah, right?

Do some research Mr. Schein instead to just putting together shlt for your editor. There are far more teams that have a better opportunity of making the playoffs than the Cardinals and would still get you some notice for putting that team out there.

Schein tried to pick a team nobody else would have, he's right, it would be easy to report the Saints, Bears or Giants, but he could went with our own Rams, but I will stay away from them. However, I would have gone with the Browns next year for example.

Great Coordinators with Turner & Horton solid offensive line and running game with Richardson and a defense that has talent as well. Tough division, but the Cards are in a really tough division too. The Browns overtake the Bengals this year IMO and people will be talking so much about their coordinators in Turner & Horton everyone will forget who their Head Coach is.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Schein is a piece of work....and by work, I mean shit. I do really like Arians though, and I was sorry to see him go to the Cards. He will put that team on the right track for sure, I just don't know if he can put that humpty dumpty franchise back together again in one offseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure why the majority of people think AZ is a bad team. They went through the same shitty circumstances the 2011 Rams went through, albeit to an even lesser degree. That team has talent all over the place and their defense has always given us fits. They're a QB and a couple of Tackles away from being a very decent team, IMO. And I think we'd like that to happen anyway. The more competition within the division, the better off it'll be for us. Because, we already own all those fools. Let'm pick each other off for a while. lol.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I'm not sure why the majority of people think AZ is a bad team. They went through the same shitty circumstances the 2011 Rams went through, albeit to an even lesser degree. That team has talent all over the place and their defense has always given us fits. They're a QB and a couple of Tackles away from being a very decent team, IMO. And I think we'd like that to happen anyway. The more competition within the division, the better off it'll be for us. Because, we already own all those fools. Let'm pick each other off for a while. lol.

I'm not saying they're a bad team. I just said it's a very bold prediction to make considering the West is the best division in the league. They have more work to do than the Rams too. I think Bruce Arians is a good fit though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
BuiltRamTough said:
I listen to Shein 4 hours a day TRUST ME the guy knows football

Ummm. Gannon knows football. Schein is a carnival Barker who happens to also be a great host. He has clear bias' and agendas that cannot be ignored. Far from a football guru. Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan are the best 4 hrs on that channel.... And it ain't close.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow...

Anybody feeling froggy enough to lay down a wager on this shit ?

If so, I've got the dead birds NOT making the playoffs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DIdn't even say offensive line once. You never know, but hey, it's a bold prediction. I don't agree with it, obviously.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every team has a chance but they got rid of Ray Horton which was a gigantic mistake and Arians runs a similar offensive scheme to Whiz's. Not really seeing this rebirth in Arizona. When they find a QB, let me know.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Did he watch the same Cardinals as we did?

Also their best coach (the DC) left. I do like Arians, but come on. Seriously? The Cardinals. The NFC West will be the toughest division next year, and they are not good. I would be surprised if they don't end up having a top 5 pick in the draft next year.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Faceplant said:
BuiltRamTough said:
I listen to Shein 4 hours a day TRUST ME the guy knows football

Ummm. Gannon knows football. Schein is a carnival Barker who happens to also be a great host. He has clear bias' and agendas that cannot be ignored. Far from a football guru. Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan are the best 4 hrs on that channel.... And it ain't close.
Lol....but Shein did pick more games the Gannon did...and Tim n Pat are on a diffrent level I love those dudes