AD mum on contract talks, but quick to praise coaches...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald mum on contract talks, but quick to praise Rams’ new coaches
Rich HammondJune 29, 2017 at 5:24 pm

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/2...alks-but-is-quick-to-praise-rams-new-coaches/

0614_spo_ldn-l-rams-hg5_24009246_7067424.jpg

Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald would not say definitively whether he will attend the start of training camp next month if he doesn’t have a new contract. (Photo by Hans Gutknecht, Los Angeles Daily News/SCNG)
SANTA MONICA – Aaron Donald seems pleased. The star defensive tackle increasingly is a part of the Southern California community, his kids are enjoying swim classes and he has effusive praise for the Rams’ new coaches.

There’s only one sure way to quiet Donald: Ask him about his new contract, or lack thereof.

Donald’s contract with the Rams doesn’t expire until after the 2018 season, but extension negotiations have started. Donald raised some eyebrows in May and June when he skipped a portion of the Rams’ (optional) offseason program due to the contract issue, but he did attend a mandatory mini-camp two weeks ago.

Donald and Rams running back Todd Gurley volunteered on Thursday at a YMCA conditioning camp sponsored by Gatorade. In his first public comments since April, Donald smiled but deflected multiple questions about his contract situation and his mindset regarding it.

“I’m just doing my job and keeping myself how I’m supposed to keep myself, and just let that stuff handle itself,” Donald said at University High. “It’s a fun game, but a serious business at the end of the day.”

Asked about taking care of himself, in the context of the team’s offseason work, Donald grinned and said, “I’ve got two kids.”

Asked later, in a radio interview, if he would confirm whether he will attend the start of Rams training camp next month if he doesn’t have a new contract, Donald gave a brief, general answer about getting ready for the start of the season. Donald’s current deal calls for a base salary of $1.8 million in 2017 and $6.9 million in 2018.

Donald had effusive praise for new Rams coach Sean McVay (a former offensive coordinator) and veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Multiple times he praised McVay’s intelligence and relayed a story from early in the Rams’ offseason program.

“I was itching my head about a play, a defensive play, and he came to me and said, ‘You’ve got to do this, this and this,’” Donald said. “I said, ‘Wow.’ I’ve never had a coach who knew what was going on on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. He knows every single trick on both sides of the ball. He’s definitely a smart guy. There’s going to be a lot of good things coming.

“Wade is just … everybody knows Wade. I’m excited just to have the opportunity to be around the guy and learn from him.”

‘ALL OR NOTHING’ ON AMAZON
Donald also is one of the stars of the eight-part documentary series “All or Nothing: A Season with the Los Angeles Rams,” which will be available on Amazon Prime Video on Friday.

The series, in a way, is continuation of the “Hard Knocks” series that covered Rams training camp and aired on HBO last August. The NFL Films crew continued to follow the players, coaches and staff members and received behind-the-scenes access to on- and off-field moments.

Arguably the most compelling moments of the series involve former Coach Jeff Fisher. The cameras were running on Dec. 12 when Fisher was fired, and much of one episode is dedicated to Fisher breaking that news to his fellow coaches and Rams players.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the most important part of the piece.

I don't think that I can overstate this...

Not the AD "holdout" part. That's gonna work out fine.

No, this...

Donald had effusive praise for new Rams coach Sean McVay (a former offensive coordinator) and veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Multiple times he praised McVay’s intelligence and relayed a story from early in the Rams’ offseason program.

I was itching my head about a play, a defensive play, and he came to me and said, ‘You’ve got to do this, this and this,’” Donald said. “I said, ‘Wow.’ I’ve never had a coach who knew what was going on on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. He knows every single trick on both sides of the ball. He’s definitely a smart guy. There’s going to be a lot of good things coming.

“Wade is just … everybody knows Wade. I’m excited just to have the opportunity to be around the guy and learn from him.”

I was already impressed by McVay, of course. But this made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Pinch me, fellas. But I think we hit a grand slam HR with the McVay hire.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“I’m just doing my job and keeping myself how I’m supposed to keep myself, and just let that stuff handle itself,” Donald said at University High.
Uni High....We were "warriors" (supposedly due to an actual Indian river or camp located on the campus) in 1982.....Lost to Manuel Arts 58-0.....Yeah, that's how the guys in S. LA beat our varsity down...I rode the varsity guys pretty hard about that one. Yeah, I was just a 10th grader on the "B" team...that was stacked with 11th graders. Nice to see them giving back, but that's on the westside...not far from Brentwood. Need to get the guys in Inglewood...in Watts....in Compton.

Personally, this Donald situation is a lil concerning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Donald is Impressed with the Staff and he's doing and saying all the right things! If he relates these feels to his Agents I won't be worried about anything!! (y);):D

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's just a smart, humble guy. He is to defensive tackles as Kurt Warner was to QB's. These guys are special. I just wish they would get this contract crap worked out.