AD asked for guys who care; I think/hope the Rams delivered.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here's how Les Snead described Aaron Donald's reaction to the Rams' youth movement on defense for 2023:

"We were talking about, 'Hey, this is kind of the blueprint: We might have to play with some younger players, less experienced players on defense, per se,'" Snead said. "And you know what was awesome? He looked you in the eye and said, 'Here's the deal. ... I'm good. Just make sure they care.'"

Interesting comment from one of the best defenders of all time. He didn't ask for speed, or size, or big school pedigree. He wants to play with guys who care. If that doesn't show the value of effort, commitment and love of the game - perhaps above physical talent - I don't know what does.

So did the Rams draft guys who "care" to play on AD's defense?

Byron Young: He was out of football, working at a Dollar General (guess the Hy-Vee grocery store wasn't hiring!), when he walked on to play at Georgia Military College. He worked his way to Tennessee, and become a Day 2 prospect.

Kobie Turner: Another walk-on player, Turner started at Richmond before moving to Wake Forest, where he caught the eyes of scouts.

Nick Hampton: Found his way to the Combine and NFL scouts eyes at small school App State, where he was a captain for two years.

Tre'Vius Tomlinson-Hodges: You don't win the Jim Thorpe Award at 5'8, 178 lbs. if you don't care.

The Rams have some second and third year guys who also could fit this mold. Perhaps, the whole will be greater than the sum of its no-name parts.

I'm going to trust AD on this one.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The man is just a HOF-type professional football player as well as being a HOF defensive tackle. Never gets into trouble, never says the wrong things, works out constantly to keep himself in shape... he is an ambassador for the sport of football. Edit - and all sports for that matter.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I hope I'm not wrong, but I think we're going to see some gems from this draft class.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They definitely raised the bar on this class in terms of ensuring they are the types who will lock in mentally. Question is whether they're gonna be good enough year one and all that. But I am happy to root for players who give a fuck. Always.

dang

Legend
In my opinion, THE GOAT!
train
Like saying Brady is the GOAT. No way you can call him better than Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, L Taylor, D Revis, Aaron “Freakin’” Donald, Deion Sanders, Reggie White, etc. Different eras, different positions. But I will confidently say Donald is the NFL IDL GOAT.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Question is whether they're gonna be good enough year one and all that.
Year one?

Or year two?
I definitely think we're looking at a two-year plan.
That's what's so fun about this.
Will it work?

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Like saying Brady is the GOAT. No way you can call him better than Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, L Taylor, D Revis, Aaron “Freakin’” Donald, Deion Sanders, Reggie White, etc. Different eras, different positions. But I will confidently say Donald is the NFL IDL GOAT.

Brady would have been out of football at age 30 if the NFL had the same rules as the Terry Bradshaw days.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
'Here's the deal. ... I'm good. Just make sure they care.'"

I wonder if this is code speak for:
Les, if you even think about re-signing Takkarist McKinley, I'm going to kill you.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Year one?

Or year two?
I definitely think we're looking at a two-year plan.
That's what's so fun about this.
Will it work?
I'm not sweating year two. This is the year they will be most short on the roster. Things should look a lot better with another draft plus FA period.