Accountability is the theme of the day.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing else you can do with Tavon when he can't catch the punts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. About damn time. Shame it had to come after he contributed to a loss, but better now than later.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Austin didn't really leave him much choice.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Austin has been such a disappointment as a punt returner. Was supposed to be an all time great.

Doesn't have the instincts or the vision that Devin Hester or Brian Mitchell had. Showed indecision on when to return and when to fair catch. And his ball security was never that great. Led the NFL in fumbled punts in 2014 too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin has been such a disappointment as a punt returner. Was supposed to be an all time great.

Doesn't have the instincts or the vision that Devin Hester or Brian Mitchell had. Showed indecision on when to return and when to fair catch. And his ball security was never that great. Led the NFL in fumbled punts in 2014 too.

What he doesn't have is HANDS. His inability to contribute meaningfully, and consistently in this offense and special teams is all about that.

Only thing he can do halfway decent is RB. But we have a better one on the roster in Gurley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
how did his fumble contribute to the loss?

You're kidding right? Spare me the "but the turnover was saved by the INT" line of thought, as we will definitely disagree on that.

When you play a game like football the inertia you get as a group is real, and every time some knucklehead does something negative it affects your ability to get things going. With Tavon it's negative, negative, negative, huge positive, negative, etc.

Not gonna go any further on that. If you think it wasn't a factor you and I will never agree on it brother. Peace.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're kidding right? Spare me the "but the turnover was saved by the INT" line of thought, as we will definitely disagree on that.

When you play a game like football the inertia you get as a group is real, and every time some knucklehead does something negative it affects your ability to get things going. With Tavon it's negative, negative, negative, huge positive, negative, etc.

Not gonna go any further on that. If you think it wasn't a factor you and I will never agree on it brother. Peace.

what i saw was tavon seeing the endzone and attacking it for a td.

gurley saw the endzone and got cute, turning a certain 7 points into a turnover.

i didn't see gurley making any yards running the ball in the second half either.

gurley hurt the rams more this game than tavon did. can't have it both ways.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing else you can do with Tavon when he can't catch the punts.
That's the worry. All that money and he can't run routes or catch punts. Geeze.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gurley saw the endzone and got cute, turning a certain 7 points into a turnover.

i didn't see gurley making any yards running the ball in the second half either.

Tavon fumbled the ball while jumping into the air during a fair catch. I'm not sure he would've had any room to run anyways

RAMNATION

Rookie

Exactly right,
And please don't forget that "catch the punt and stand there" routine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I don't think Tavon's fumble contributed to the loss. Sure it swung momentum to the seahawks momentarily, but then J.J. swung it back. He also put it in the endzone, so in that respect, if you wanna think of it like that, it's a net positive. It's 16-3 if he doesn't score, realistically. The bottom line, though, is that Tavon is playing himself out of a job by not being able to handle punts, and it seems that it's becoming increasingly hard to "find ways to get him the ball" (per McVay). This is also the same problem Fisher's OC's had. It sounds like a great idea - because he's very dangerous in open space - but putting that plan into action doesn't seem to be materializing despite all the efforts. The great Isaac Bruce warned of this a couple of years ago. He said that Tavon needs to put 100% of his focus on becoming a great receiver or he'll forever be pigeon-holed into being a gadget guy. Name one gadget guy of note over the past 50 years. Dante Hall?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

How many runs and pass targets did Gurley get in the second half?

Also, the job of a punt returner is to catch the ball so the offense can take over. If, and only if, they catch the ball is it their job to make positive yardage it touchdowns.

I haven't seen the Gurley fumble play live, but I did see the still shot of his foot out of bounds and his hand on the ball. What happened there was the wrong call if the photographic evidence is to be believed.

Just because Austin blew it, doesn't mean we need to break down Gurley to make it not look so bad. Especially when Gurley wasn't given the opportunity to make a significant difference.

TexasRam

Legend
You can’t win Football games if your ball handlers can’t hold onto the football.

I am just glad Mcvay isn’t afraid to make the change. It’s been going on all season. Seems like Fisher was too loyal to the individual to put the team first in these situations.

Like Rob *cough* *cough* inson.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the worry. All that money and he can't run routes or catch punts. Geeze.

The money doesn't matter at this point, but he needs to be off returns. He's still contributing on offense, though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just because Austin blew it, doesn't mean we need to break down Gurley to make it not look so bad. Especially when Gurley wasn't given the opportunity to make a significant difference.

you failed to see the context of the post. i wasn't breaking down gurley, i was showing the subjectivity of the post i replied to.

…..

Legend

huh?????

what has Gurley got to do with Tavon muffing punts? Several times. What does Tavons TD run have to do with this topic?

Whats your point here? Are you suggesting that the Rams allow Tavon to continue to "try" to field punts because another player fumbled or didnt run for yards in the 2nd half?

wowwwwww what an argument you posed.