Acceptance stage: Rams are 3rd best in West...for now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kentuckyrams

Pro Bowler
First of all, Happy New Years to all my fellow Rams fans. I've really enjoyed all the insight commentary this year - I learn something new each week, plus the vent thread is always nice catharsis.

Watching the games today, and realizing how easy it is to get used to being in the playoff picture after the last two seasons, it's a bit depressing, but I've come to accept that we are currently the third best in the West. I guess ultimately you are what your record says you are. So this is going to be an absolutely critical off season, one that will determine if we return to the SB hunt or slip back into mediocrity or worse. We will be playing in the toughest division in football, barring major injuries to the Hags or Whiners, (the NFC North being maybe the second toughest), and it's just not our luck to be able to look at six easy division wins every year a la the Cheatriots.

I've been thinking though about how we compare to the other teams in the West, and I feel like our receiving core and special teams are the best, although this was a down year in ways, like almost everything else. I think our secondary could be the best of the bunch (slightly edging out SF) if JJ returns healthy and Long/Williams develops into good outside/slot options. Rapp will have some experience under his belt, and Ramsey should be excellent, especially in a scheme that more truly fits his skills.

In other areas, sadly, we don't fare as well. Our O line obviously is a work in progress, which impacts everything else. Our RB situation is in limbo as well, as either something is wrong with Gurley or with how he was used (coaching), so SF and SEA both have a much better rushing attack at the moment (they were 2nd and 3rd in rushing yards per game -we were around 24th :(), and SF has a much better DL, and Seattle has the edge at QB (based on performance not potential, Goff is probably 3rd right now). We probably have the biggest challenges in terms of cap and draft capital, although SF isn't in much better shape on cap space (Seattle is in the best shape cap-wise at the moment).

So what do I want to see this offseason and what are the biggest questions in my mind? Can McVay work on his offensive schemes, especially against the 6-1 fronts? Would he be willing to take on an OC who might help with in-game adjustments and planning? We lost a lot of good assistant coaches the last two seasons, and I think that hurt. Can we fix the O line? Do we need to move to another scheme or at least mix it up more? The blocking scheme we used against the Bears seemed to work better than our preferred outside zone and the 12 personnel seemed to work , too. I hope we find a C and G in FA or the draft, maybe use Corbett in the other one of those spots, and hope Whit returns (not sure Noteboom is the LT answer) and that Evans/Edwards keep developing. Then to me the three other huge questions: what do we really have in Goff, and can he get better with reading the field and avoiding TOs? Is Gurley healthy enough to be the feature back that this offense requires to be dynamic? Can Wade get the most out of a defense that's underachieved, at least in terms of consistency, during his tenure, or is time to move on?

Lots of huge questions and a thin margin for error, especially in the toughest division in football and with little draft capital until 2022. I like our coach and FO, plus I like our schedule next year, although that can change as teams rise/fall. This off season is going to be huge. Here's hoping for a great 2020!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I mean we’re better then the Seahawks. They’ve gotten extremely lucky this year. If you switched all the one score games, they would be 3-12. A sign of a very fortunate team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams should have beat Seattle twice. Played the 9ers to the end in one matchup. And this with enormous OL churn that would sink any team.

So pardon my lack of fear when it comes to our division. IMO fix the OL, find a 5T and the Rams will be right back in the Super Bowl chase next season.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Better watch out for the Cardinals! I don’t think they are any slouches either! The NFC West has become one of the best Divisions in the NFL (And, Personally, I think they are the BEST Division!)! But, I do have CONFIDENCE in McVay and Snead and think they will make the necessary moves to have the Rams back on top next season (BUT, I DO HATE THE OFF-SEASONS!)!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Rams are 1A
9ers 1B

Seahawks 2

Cardinals a distant 3

Despite the records. IMO, of course.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Played the 9ers to the end in one matchup. And this with enormous OL churn that would sink any team.

This game put to rest the “Goff sucks against good/great defenses” fan meme, even with the pick 6...threw for four x yards as game 1 against the Whiners.

One of the better game planned/called games by McVay as well.

If Greg Z hits the fg, it’s a dead even game at their house.

Ram77

Rookie
Losing Saffold on the OLine and Suh on the Dline were huuge losses. I know people loved to hate Suh but he made ADs life so much easier and productive.I hate to say it but AD has become invisible in a lot of crucial moments this year where last season he would always make a play in crunch time. That has had a trickle down effect to our overall defense. IMO we would have won the earlier Seahawk game, last weeks Niner game with Suh at the very least. If we had Saffold we win the Steelers game and possibly the first Niners game . We would be an 11-4 or 12-3 team. So yeah we need to find a really good 5T and LG. . Also will need to replace Brockers (who has a questionable level of effectiveness at this point-not sure). Also will have to replace one or both of Littleton or Fowler. So the priorities
1) LG
2) 5T/DT
3) DT
4) ILB
5) OLB
6) LT. I think LT would be ok if Noteboom is ready to take over for Whitworth. Big question mark there
7) C/RG know if Brian Allen is the answer. He wasnt great. And Austin Blythe is not very good.
So biggest needs are obviously Oline and Dline. We were very weak on both lines physically all season. Finesse. Whatever you want to call it. Teams dictated to us this season which was the biggest difference from 2017/2018. We need to bring a level of physicality back to the trenches.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know people loved to hate Suh but he made ADs life so much easier and productive.
2018 Rams Defense ranked 27th in the league with a 4.8 ypc allowed.

2019 Rams Defense ranked 11th in the league with a 4.1 ypc allowed.

Suh was a complete non-factor until the playoffs in 2018. In fact SJD was a massive upgrade as was Gaines in the depth role and it showed in our run defense. As bad as it was and in spite of the blowout losses and big run days we gave up we actually IMPROVED GREATLY in run stopping ability which demonstrates how bad things were with Suh. Rams had zero choice other than letting him go.

Ram77

Rookie
2018 Rams Defense ranked 27th in the league with a 4.8 ypc allowed.

2019 Rams Defense ranked 11th in the league with a 4.1 ypc allowed.

Suh was a complete non-factor until the playoffs in 2018. In fact SJD was a massive upgrade as was Gaines in the depth role and it showed in our run defense. As bad as it was and in spite of the blowout losses and big run days we gave up we actually IMPROVED GREATLY in run stopping ability which demonstrates how bad things were with Suh. Rams had zero choice other than letting him go.
With all due respect. Stats dont tell the whole story. Teams have been able to double and even triple team Donald this year and exhaust him by the end of games. Last season Donald was still fresh and he made plays in like 5 or 6 games in very critical situations. Thats why our record in close games was soo good. If you ask me the biggest reason why we are 8-7 instead of 12-3 right now thats what it would be (with OL being right up there). Yes maybe Suh was not very disciplined in his gap assignments and was lazy at times but he sure as hell had the opposing teams respect him and had to be accounted for much more than Joseph-Day or Gaines.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With all due respect. Stats dont tell the whole story. Teams have been able to double and even triple team Donald this year and exhaust him by the end of games. Last season Donald was still fresh and he made plays in like 5 or 6 games in very critical situations. Thats why our record in close games was soo good. If you ask me the biggest reason why we are 8-7 instead of 12-3 right now thats what it would be (with OL being right up there). Yes maybe Suh was not very disciplined in his gap assignments and was lazy at times but he sure as hell had the opposing teams respect him and had to be accounted for much more than Joseph-Day or Gaines.
Dude. You made a statement irt Suh, who was absolutely terrible at an epic level last year during the regular season. If you don't see that, or for whatever reason feel the need to excuse it, there is no conversation here to be had.

Rams went after youth at NT and it's one of the positional decisions that actually worked out for them in this otherwise terrible season.

Ram77

Rookie
Dude. You made a statement irt Suh, who was absolutely terrible at an epic level last year during the regular season. If you don't see that, or for whatever reason feel the need to excuse it, there is no conversation here to be had.

Rams went after youth at NT and it's one of the positional decisions that actually worked out for them in this otherwise terrible season.
So howcome Donald is getting less one on one opportunities this season than last? If you think Joseph-Day and Gaines are better than Suh then you are seeing it different than I am. Again stats dont tell the whole story, in my eyes life was easier for AD last season and our Defense made more opportunistic plays in critical moments.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So howcome Donald is getting less one on one opportunities this season than last? If you think Joseph-Day and Gaines are better than Suh then you are seeing it different than I am. Again stats dont tell the whole story, in my eyes life was easier for AD last season and our Defense made more opportunistic plays in critical moments.
What SJD and Gaines give you is 100% effort in the run game during the regular season. That shows in the significant increase in run defense this season. It doesn't matter that Suh's better than both of them when he's taking plays off.

As to AD getting less one on one opportunities what is your source for that "fact?" I see him routinely getting doubled which is why they have been moving him around to include the edges.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What SJD and Gaines give you is 100% effort in the run game during the regular season. That shows in the significant increase in run defense this season. It doesn't matter that Suh's better than both of them when he's taking plays off.

As to AD getting less one on one opportunities what is your source for that "fact?" I see him routinely getting doubled which is why they have been moving him around to include the edges.

I think he's getting doubled + about the same only because the Rams move him around more, but yeah, it's somewhere between 66-70%. What's different is that while SJD and Gaines are better in run support, they a) don't penetrate like Suh did and b) it's just a matter of respect. In many ways, Suh was a massive decoy that wasn't going to do much and teams overcommitted resources to him which helped AD. They didnt' do that for SJD and Gaines.

Granted, when Suh turned it on, we saw a massive benefit, but in the regular season... it sure seemed like he coasted.

I like how toward the end of the year, I think they were scheming AD better.

I dunno, I'm disappointed with this season, but encouraged going forward. Sure, we need depth at NT/5T, but honestly, if we somehow got a stud C to anchor our OL, so much other stuff would fall into place...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5T is probably our biggest defensive need. I do like Fox as depth, but they really have to get a big physical DL in here who can lock that spot down and if they do that the opposing DLs are gonna have their hands full. Any 3-4 to include Wade's version has to have 3 guys up front good enough to neutralize the OL and he hasn't had that since the change over.

I think doing that (finishing the DL) is a big key to protecting our iffy LB corps as well. Rams have some guys who can run and cover, and Howard is similar to Littleton in that he's a big safety type, gotta protect them.

From there of course the edge has to be figured out. I do think Matthews can stick around another year, he does some good things still on the rush as long as he's a strong side guy. But blind side, well, I suppose it'll be a rotation and we are going to feel Fowler's loss because he's played very well for us.

The Ramowl

Starter
Very rarely is a 3rd ranked team 1 win away from getting a wild card. Exceptionnal results from the NFC West this year, the overall division is 26-13 against other divisions.
This season the 49ers were better, I think Seahawks got a bit lucky and are about the same level as Rams, but they have been more consistent and that's why they are where they are.
The Cardinals are getting better.
Next year hierarchy is hard to predict.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Is it possible that the defense is playing better while AD gets fewer sacks and chances? The Rams ended up with more sacks and better stats against the run. Last year the knock on the DL was that no one besides Donald was getting pressure, this year, while AD is way down in the sack department, Fowler is in double figures and Mathews is close along with contributions from Ebukam and others. So either offenses were using as many men as necessary to contain Donald or the other guys were playing better or both.
Fowler should be sending AD Christmas cards from here on cuz he was the beneficiary of the double and triple teams AD was getting. Last year AD was taking over games and wrecking game plans and coordinators were determined not to allow it this year. Maintaining or even improving the pass rush is huge for next year.