About Goff from a 49er fan...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Now your just reaching for the sake of an argument. Your comparing a rookie qb with horrible coaching and little to no help from a meager wr corps to a QB whose been in the league.

To further my point your comparing a rookie going through growing pains with an established veteran. . An established veteran who has NOTICIBLY gotten worse year over year game over game and rarely shows the talent he originally showed because good COACHING and solid schemes masked his weakness.

You are just being ridiculous at this point we get it you don't like Goff but atleast if your going to argue/make comparison use logic and reasoning not just your blind hatred for a rookie you didn't want.
Whoa! Whoa!!! Whoa!!!!
I'm talking about ROOKIES....
I'll take this in slices
Kaep wasn't compared at ALL to Goff...He was being called terrible. And I've tried to show he's in fact NOT terrible. And I'll add, he only began to look bad when his team started losing pieces...wr's first. Then his QB whisperer coach. He was 8-8 in Harbaugh's last year.

Goff...see I look at the games...with some friends..just looking...then watch the tape of the game several days later...late night...insomnia and all...I looked at that pick he threw....The pass to Britt. Terrible pass. Just terrible. What made it worse, no pressure...He just had targeted Britt on the other side of the field..and he threw a late slant...behind Kenny...immediately putting us in the hole. He had ONE drive the entire game over 60 yards versus one of the worst defenses in the league...He threw for 70 yards in the first half...20 in the second.
Hate is a strong word...I never said I hated Goff... I hated the trade up...I hated picking Goff over Wentz...Hell, I liked Connor Cook. But hate Goff, no...Even with his TERRIBLE play of late, I only hate the way it's looking week in and week out for the team. Look at Gurley...Look at Donald...Look at Ogletree...Look at Barron...We have basically killed a very talented units drive to compete. And for what? A guy that's looking like a 3rd round talent at best. (and FWIW, that's not a bust, just another OVERDRAFTED PLAYER UNDER SNEAD'S WATCH!!)
I'm really big on a couple of things...40 times...and for QB's, ARM TALENT/Strength....
You know why I like a little of what Kaep does? Look at the missiles he throws...all whizzing by defenders...That's a QB to ME...Sorry...I've seen a bunch of touch passers...and only a few are really successful. Stand tall and strong in the pocket and deliver the ball. Or scramble around.
Goff passes don't have the zip I like, or that I believe will be effective in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know why I like a little of what Kaep does? Look at the missiles he throws...all whizzing by defenders...That's a QB to ME...Sorry...I've seen a bunch of touch passers...and only a few are really successful.

There are as many top QBs today (in Peyton's case, the very recent past) who are "touch passers" as there are guys with big arms. Examples:
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton
Alex Smith
Philip Rivers
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck
Kirk Cousins

That's without delving into guys who played in the more distant past, like Joe Montana.

Today's game is very different than that of the past. Arm strength is no longer a very important attribute because most offenses today revolve around the short passing game and 3-step drops.

However, I disagree with your evaluation of Goff's arm talent.

Scirca

Rookie
Whoa! Whoa!!! Whoa!!!!
I'm talking about ROOKIES....
I'll take this in slices
Kaep wasn't compared at ALL to Goff...He was being called terrible. And I've tried to show he's in fact NOT terrible. And I'll add, he only began to look bad when his team started losing pieces...wr's first. Then his QB whisperer coach. He was 8-8 in Harbaugh's last year.

Goff...see I look at the games...with some friends..just looking...then watch the tape of the game several days later...late night...insomnia and all...I looked at that pick he threw....The pass to Britt. Terrible pass. Just terrible. What made it worse, no pressure...He just had targeted Britt on the other side of the field..and he threw a late slant...behind Kenny...immediately putting us in the hole. He had ONE drive the entire game over 60 yards versus one of the worst defenses in the league...He threw for 70 yards in the first half...20 in the second.
Hate is a strong word...I never said I hated Goff... I hated the trade up...I hated picking Goff over Wentz...Hell, I liked Connor Cook. But hate Goff, no...Even with his TERRIBLE play of late, I only hate the way it's looking week in and week out for the team. Look at Gurley...Look at Donald...Look at Ogletree...Look at Barron...We have basically killed a very talented units drive to compete. And for what? A guy that's looking like a 3rd round talent at best. (and FWIW, that's not a bust, just another OVERDRAFTED PLAYER UNDER SNEAD'S WATCH!!)
I'm really big on a couple of things...40 times...and for QB's, ARM TALENT/Strength....
You know why I like a little of what Kaep does? Look at the missiles he throws...all whizzing by defenders...That's a QB to ME...Sorry...I've seen a bunch of touch passers...and only a few are really successful. Stand tall and strong in the pocket and deliver the ball. Or scramble around.
Goff passes don't have the zip I like, or that I believe will be effective in the NFL.

There's no reasoning with you, you are of the opinion that Jared Goff is a bum, you and @hotanez. If it were up to you two, Goff would have been benched for Sean Mannion and probably cut in 2-3 years or traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick..... because of his first six games in the NFL.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
There's no reasoning with you, you are of the opinion that Jared Goff is a bum, you and @hotanez. If it were up to you two, Goff would have been benched for Sean Mannion and probably cut in 2-3 years or traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick..... because of his first six games in the NFL.
Lol OK I think that Goff is a bum. You are just so silly I never said anything close to that. You need to relax bro, there is a ignore option where you can choose not to see anything I post.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Go wash your mouth out with soap!!! ;)

image.jpeg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Andy Dalton
Alex Smith
Philip Rivers
Tony Romo
Andrew Luck
Kirk Cousins
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/4bpaiz/dispelling_the_myth_that_arm_strength_is_the_most/
I've seen you list these names before and choose not to comment. I will however now give you my take on a few.

Peyton....came out of Tenn as a 6'5, 235 lb player...He's an interesting case....Very cerebral player. But Peyton could ALWAYS throw with velocity as a young pro. His deep balls did wobble quite often which many took for a lack in arm strength.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11654158/manning-leaf-1998-draft
Tom put Peyton through the arm-strength drill, and his pass to the 50-yard line was on a rope. Peyton's arm was among the strongest I have seen. It maybe was not quite as strong as Jim Kelly's, but certainly strong enough. Interestingly, Peyton threw what we call a "heavy ball," meaning it has a lot of rotation on it, which was quite interesting because guys with weaker arms usually don't throw a heavy ball. When you catch a heavy ball, your hands sting because it comes out with some heat on it.

Peyton had a slam-dunk workout, as good as you could have. Not that workouts are everything, but that one served as fairly solid evidence that all of the perceived negatives -- that he was a bad athlete, that he had a weak arm, etc. -- were untrue.
As a rookie, Peyton had PLENTY of arm strength...It was only later that he appeared to lose velocity.
http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2016/01/understanding-the-decline-of-peyton-manning/

Drew Brees
He's an excellent comparison. Because Drew lacks the physical size of most pro QB's. Drew is one of the hardest working players at any position on the field, and is a GREAT ATHLETE. Even at Purdue, you could see he threw an excellent deep ball, and with the work he put in after his shoulder injury, he turned into an elite thrower....
http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/10/optimum_performance_drew_brees.html

Archie Manning, who's NFL quarterback career spanned fifteen successful years, noted that the measure of a quarterback's arm strength is based on his ability to throw a 18 yard "comeback route," where the receiver runs eighteen yards, plants, and comes back to the 15 to make the catch. The "zip," according to Manning, is how many RPM's the QB can put on the ball. Next to former Denver Bronco QB John Elway and the Patriots' Tom Brady, Brees throws the "comback" as good as (with more power and accuracy) anyone I've seen in recent times - the operative word being "accuracy."
Please note the names he's compared to...namely Brady...another guy on your list.
http://the8percent.com/drew-brees-faith-and-a-strong-arm/
Like Peyton, Brees is a savant when it comes to QBing....he's better with time, although arm strength has diminished.
Tom Brady
We all know Tom...I saw Tom in the combine...Tom is the reason I watch the combine so intently. I never could have guessed this guy would make it..After he did, I figured the guy that came after him, Henning I believe would be a great QB too. Tom is motivated by an incredible chip to perform & excell to prove people wrong. Tom always had a decent arm...Even in college...With the work of Tom House, Brady has turned a so-so arm into somethin special...Not the rocket, but with great mechanics, he can drive the ball into tight windows with the best of them. One only need to look at how often he hit Randy Moss in stride that Tom has superior arm talent & strength.
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...-guys-improve-it-so-much-in-the-nfl/35218233/
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ards-agree-brady-rodgers-best-at-qb/19680685/
The scout said that in 2000 he rated Brady as a sixth- to seventh-round pick. The main concern was his frail build (6-4½ and 211 pounds).

"Very accurate but not overly strong (throwing arm)," the scout said. "I just keep going back to his frame. He looked like the paper boy, didn't have a lot of muscle. That's why we put him down in that area."

Throwing accuracy is a quarterback's most important physical trait, so Brady had that. The scout said Brady's arm strength improved while in the NFL, and his height combined with his ability to slide in the pocket has compensated for his inability to make plays on the move....
Gilbride, who won two Super Bowls as the New York Giants' offensive coordinator, didn't evaluate Brady or Rodgers coming out of college. In both years (2000 and '05), he was an offensive coordinator and was not asked by his team, for whatever reason, to look at either.

But he's seen plenty of videotape of both since they've been in the NFL. He rated Brady as "off the charts" in all intangibles plus throwing accuracy.

"Mechanics throwing the ball, as good as you get," Gilbride said. "Running ability very limited, very restricted, not going to run for positive yards. Can slide around in the pocket effectively but not going to run for yards. Good arm strength, great accuracy.
Much like Brees, Brady's arm strength IMPROVED while in the pros...
Lastly.....I think just like the others Phillip Rivers & Andy Dalton have very good arms...Hell, they call Dalton the Red Rifle...and not because of his hair...but I'll go to Cousins & Ryan...2 guys who are also on the average arms in college, but have developed in the pros...Ryan's arm is stronger than Cousins...And Cousins is another guy who needed to get considerably stronger IMO...But I'd rate these as two with below average arm talent, but have been very successful in the league...Cousins really has an average skill-set...

Can you win with a popgun at QB? Maybe...if you have the experience & savvy vet play of a Brees & Manning...but with the increasingly smaller throwing windows, you make it almost impossible to succeed as a rookie with a wobbly ball.

I didn't include Eli Manning...I think he has a cannon...6'5 240 lbs...

Again...JMO

And no, Montana didn't have a cannon...I doubt we'll ever see another QB win like Joe did....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If it were up to you two, Goff would have been benched for Sean Mannion and probably cut in 2-3 years or traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick..... because of his first six games in the NFL.
If it were up to me, I would have drafted Hundley b4 we took Mannion...then took Connor Cook in the following year...and kept all the picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've made the same type of posts as the one linked here. I've seen Goff make the throws that separate the men from the boys in the NFL. I've seen him make throws to the sideline in the intermediate to deep range with velocity from the pocket.

But in today's NFL, arm strength is less important than ever. It's simply the offensive evolution of the game. You have to meet the minimum arm strength threshold to succeed, but Goff meets that and more.

I will however now give you my take on a few.

Peyton....came out of Tenn as a 6'5, 235 lb player...He's an interesting case....Very cerebral player. But Peyton could ALWAYS throw with velocity as a young pro. His deep balls did wobble quite often which many took for a lack in arm strength.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11654158/manning-leaf-1998-draft
As a rookie, Peyton had PLENTY of arm strength...It was only later that he appeared to lose velocity.
http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2016/01/understanding-the-decline-of-peyton-manning/

At this peak, Peyton's arm was AT BEST equivalent to what Goff's is now.

Drew Brees
He's an excellent comparison. Because Drew lacks the physical size of most pro QB's. Drew is one of the hardest working players at any position on the field, and is a GREAT ATHLETE. Even at Purdue, you could see he threw an excellent deep ball, and with the work he put in after his shoulder injury, he turned into an elite thrower....
http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/10/optimum_performance_drew_brees.html

Please note the names he's compared to...namely Brady...another guy on your list.
http://the8percent.com/drew-brees-faith-and-a-strong-arm/
Like Peyton, Brees is a savant when it comes to QBing....he's better with time, although arm strength has diminished.

Yet, Brees struggled his first three years in the NFL. Almost everybody, including his own team, wrote him off.

But we're getting away from the point here, Brees has never had a strong arm.

Tom Brady
We all know Tom...I saw Tom in the combine...Tom is the reason I watch the combine so intently. I never could have guessed this guy would make it..After he did, I figured the guy that came after him, Henning I believe would be a great QB too. Tom is motivated by an incredible chip to perform & excell to prove people wrong. Tom always had a decent arm...Even in college...With the work of Tom House, Brady has turned a so-so arm into somethin special...Not the rocket, but with great mechanics, he can drive the ball into tight windows with the best of them. One only need to look at how often he hit Randy Moss in stride that Tom has superior arm talent & strength.
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...-guys-improve-it-so-much-in-the-nfl/35218233/
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ards-agree-brady-rodgers-best-at-qb/19680685/Much like Brees, Brady's arm strength IMPROVED while in the pros...

Brady went from having well below average arm strength to arm strength in the above average to good range because he improved his mechanics, worked hard on his core strength, and built up his body. But his arm strength still isn't top tier or anything close to that. He's a cerebral touch passer.

Lastly.....I think just like the others Phillip Rivers & Andy Dalton have very good arms...Hell, they call Dalton the Red Rifle...and not because of his hair...but I'll go to Cousins & Ryan...2 guys who are also on the average arms in college, but have developed in the pros...Ryan's arm is stronger than Cousins...And Cousins is another guy who needed to get considerably stronger IMO...But I'd rate these as two with below average arm talent, but have been very successful in the league...Cousins really has an average skill-set...

Rivers has always had a below average arm. He makes up for it by throwing with tremendous touch and accuracy. Dalton is called the Red Rifle ironically (because he's a ginger QB). He fell to the 2nd round because of his average physical attributes.

Can you win with a popgun at QB? Maybe...if you have the experience & savvy vet play of a Brees & Manning...but with the increasingly smaller throwing windows, you make it almost impossible to succeed as a rookie with a wobbly ball.

We don't have a "popgun" at QB. We have a QB who has plenty of arm strength.

As for him throwing a wobbly ball, Kurt Warner was well-known for throwing a wobbly ball. Didn't stand in his way.

I didn't include Eli Manning...I think he has a cannon...6'5 240 lbs...

Again...JMO

I disagree. Eli does not have a cannon. He's a total touch passer.(with a gunslinger's mindset) I think you're trying to connect arm strength to body type and size. It doesn't really work that way.

The strongest arm I've seen on a NFL QB belonged to 6'0" 210 Michael Vick. Aaron Rodgers has one of the strongest arms in the NFL at 6'2" 220. Brett Favre had one of the strongest arms of all time at 6'2" 220.

A lot of people assume that big QBs have strong arms. We saw that mistaken assumption with both Nick Foles and Brock Osweiler in the recent past.

And no, Montana didn't have a cannon...I doubt we'll ever see another QB win like Joe did....

Brees wins in a similar way as a QB now.

We just don't see eye to eye on arm strength.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Good lord man. Do you believe in a single player on this team? Like literally is there a guy that you think is actually good?
Yea He thought Mike Thomas was the next coming of Jerry Rice.
That is working out well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea He thought Mike Thomas was the next coming of Jerry Rice.
That is working out well.

Thomas, like Goff, is a rookie playing in a broken scheme. Let's be as fair to him as we are to Goff.

Zero

Pro Bowler
And I've seen about as much football as you as have a lot of people around here. I see enough out of the kid I'm excited for the next couple of year. Maybe in all of the football you've seen you just forgot that he looks at times like a rookie. At times he looks like a damned good QB surrounded by a bunch of garbage.
We should be excited.Goff looked pretty rough
his First year starting in college.I remember reading an article
where Sonny Dykes was talking about the tremendous jumps
Goff made from one season to the next and how many hours
he put in during the off season.Goff will not fail,because Goff
is the type of player to Will his success.I think we saw a bit of that
at the news conference last week.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Thomas, like Goff, is a rookie playing in a broken scheme. Let's be as fair to him as we are to Goff.
Thomas is broken.Goff is not.Thomas may turn out
to be a great ST player,But he will never be a good receiver.
This you can bank on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas is broken.Goff is not.Thomas may turn out
to be a great ST player,But he will never be a good receiver.
This you can bank on.

Goff has played as poorly as Thomas on offense. I'm not ready to accept either as "broken."

Zero

Pro Bowler
Goff has played as poorly as Thomas on offense. I'm not ready to accept either as "broken."
No he hasn't.Thomas has dropped more balls than
he has caught.He has the most unnatural hands
I have ever seen.I appreciate your optimism,and
will gladly eat the crow if I am wrong.Unless he
does it by ST play,Thomas has probably played his last
game as a Ram.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No he hasn't.Thomas has dropped more balls than
he has caught.He has the most unnatural hands
I have ever seen.I appreciate your optimism,and
will gladly eat the crow if I am wrong.Unless he
does it by ST play,Thomas has probably played his last
game as a Ram.

And Goff has thrown more picks than TDs...

Thomas will get a chance to earn a spot in camp next year.

Zero

Pro Bowler
And Goff has thrown more picks than TDs...
you are comparing apples and oranges.
I can't even respond to "Goff has played as poorly as Thomas on offense."
Damn jrry you are smarter than that.You drinking?lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you are comparing apples and oranges.
I can't even respond to "Goff has played as poorly as Thomas on offense."
Damn jrry you are smarter than that.You drinking?lol

Both guys are rookies. Both guys have made mistakes. I'm not closing the book on either. It seems very hypocritical to me to write off Thomas while excusing Goff's struggles.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Both guys are rookies. Both guys have made mistakes. I'm not closing the book on either. It seems very hypocritical to me to write off Thomas while excusing Goff's struggles.
OK.I get it.But I am looking at both separately and am just being honest
concerning both.My opinion concerning Thomas is that he is a drive
killer and the last thing Goff needs while he develops.
Pharoh on the other hand is a playmaker and is going to be a big part
of Goffs rise to an elite QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I hope this isn't the Goff we see next year.
Anticipation is just non-existent.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
I hope this isn't the Goff we see next year.
Anticipation is just non-existent.

I disagree. I see him anticipating linemen missing blocks, receivers dropping passes, and refs throwing unwarranted flags.

On a serious note, how many times does Greg Robinson need to see a stunt before he figures out how to block it? Dude is dumber than a bag of hammers...