Aaron Rodgers has reason to dislike on field mics

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...nother-reason-to-dislike-on-field-microphones

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers has long bemoaned the NFL’s extensive use of on-field microphones -- both for natural in-game sound and behind-the-scenes clips for NFL Films and the like -- but the Green Bay Packers quarterback always viewed it as an intrusion and an inconvenience, not a safety risk.

But in the aftermath of wide receiver Randall Cobb suffering a punctured lung during the team’s NFC playoff loss to Arizona in January, Rodgers also would like to see the NFL curtail its use of on-player hidden microphones because of the dangers they can pose.

Cobb first brought up the possibility that his injury was caused by the microphone pack during a tour of Radio Row at the Super Bowl, although he did say that there was “no way I can prove that” it was the cause.

Rodgers reiterated that theory during an interview on ex-Packers teammate A.J. Hawk ’s podcast last week.

“I don’t feel comfortable being miked up, and I will say this: Randall Cobb had a serious injury last year in the playoff game, and I believe -- and he would as well, and the team -- that that was caused by him being miked up,” Rodgers told Hawk. “Because he fell on his mic pack and he had an injury to his insides that kept him out of the game, probably would have kept him out the rest of the playoffs. And the puncture spot was directly adjacent to his mic pack.”

Rodgers also said he believes wearing a microphone “takes away from the authenticity of the game,” saying he acts differently when he knows he’s wearing one. That said, Rodgers, who first brought up his dislike for on-field microphones on his weekly radio show on ESPN Wisconsin in 2011, seems most perturbed by the fact that opposing defenses can get a feel for his cadence, snap counts and audibles by listening to TV copies of games.

“Yeah, I think it's too much information,” Rodgers told Hawk. “In 2008 there used to be no headset on defense, so the defense had to signal in every play and that was part of the whole Spygate issue [with] filming signals and whatnot. But now you have mics on both guards most of the time and you pick up everything that the quarterback says when we're at home and sometimes on the road as well.

“I think that's a competitive edge for the defense and it makes you have to work that much harder with your dummy words and your live and dead words. I mean, that's part of the game, but I think that the access is a little bit much.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Can't they just refuse to wear them? Or does the nfl require them to wear them?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Can't they just refuse to wear them? Or does the nfl require them to wear them?

I never really thought about it.
I just assumed the players were OK with it.
With the NFL, it could be mandatory.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah but some players like being in the spotlight. I thought they're the ones that agree to it. This is the first I've heard a player say he hates it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't think of any good reason why the League would make it mandatory, or for that matter why a player couldn't refuse to wear the mic if he wanted to!! JMHO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As for the competitive advantages from mics..it goes both ways. Both teams QBs have the same problems, so it is even. I can understand Rodgers complaining about the injury, but the rest just sounds like whining to me.